Ad Blue

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
Have you guys heard about the 2011 Touareg and Ad blue system problem?

Is it really just the NOx sensor?

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
Most of the problems were that the dealer didn't fill the tank during make-ready. It's a 4.5 gallon tank and some dealers put in one half gallon bottle and thought they were done causing an early warning and an additional early warning when the dealer only added another half gallon.

Like any mechanical or electrical part things break and some members have posted that some component parts needed replacement, but not to the extent your post implies.

I'm at 15,000 miles and my system has performed without fault and the range of a tank has been as advertised, roughly 10,000 miles.

grohgreg

TDI
2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
My dealer was even worse, they very clearly didn't even know it was their responsibility to fill it up as part of the dealer prep. When I took it in because of a low AdBlue indication on a 2 week old car, they expressed surprised at finding only 1.5 quarts in the reservoir. They said it was Volkswagen's fault for not filling it at the factory. Yeah, right !!

//greg//

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Have you guys heard about the 2011 Touareg and Ad blue system problem?

Is it really just the NOx sensor?
If NOx sensor = stupid dealers then the answer is yes!

If there IS a separate NOx sensor problem (and I'm not even sure there is a separate NOX sensor) then the answer is no. AdBlu urea is injected just ahead of the catalyst that, when hot, causes some of the oxides of nitrogen to be reduced to N2 and water. The amount injected is programmed by the ECU according to the combustion temps (power) and other variables. This factory programming is designed to cause the NOx out the exhaust to not exceed the emission limits allowed by the rules as of the date of manufacture. It does NOT reduce the NOx to zero just to a 'do not exceed' value.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
Truck stop stuff

The wife's AD blue light is back on again. She wants to take it to the dealer to have it filled up. They did it the last time the Treg was in the shop. I told her that it is so simple to do that there is no reason to pay them and have it done. I also told her that there is a similar product available at just about any truck stop, and she freaked! :eek: Has anyone out there used the truck stop stuff, and have there been any problems with it? I just want to re-assure her with your experiences. She won't believe me, but of course I'm just her husband.:rolleyes:

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Isn't it under the free service period? All Adblue and diesel exhaust fluid is the same, it doesn't matter where it's purchased from. You could tell by looking at the ingredients. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/vw-touareg-tdi-dpf-audi-q7.htm Here is a little more about the system and adblue fluid itself.
The article in the link is misinformed. The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) talked about there has NOTHING to do with Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) or AdBlue. DEF - which is the generic 'name' - is a 30% urea solution. It is 30% because that is the lowest freezing point mixture of Urea and water. The DEF is injected into an SCR catalyst where it reacts with some of the NOx in the exhaust - in the presence of the catalyst - and turns it into N2 gas and water. Only enough is injected by the computer to meet emissions requirements for the load and rpm conditions that exist. This catalyst is NOT the same as used on other automotive products.
There are 3 'reactors' in the exhaust systems of newer diesels. The first, and oldest, is the converter used since 2000 on Golf/Jetta TDIs. this reactor catalytically converts unburned hydrocarbons with the excess air present in the exhaust. The second is the DPF, a honeycomb catalyst that, when hot enough, converts carbon particles trapped there to CO2 and water. Nothing is added for this filter except heat produced by injecting fuel into the exhaust by the injectors if the gasses are not already hot enough. These DPF filters have been required since 2005 - 2006 in VW and Mercedes (and other) diesels. The 3rd reactor is the SCR catalyist which turns some of the NOx to N2 and water.
Hope this clears up some of the confusion.:cool:

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The article in the link is misinformed. The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) talked about there has NOTHING to do with Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) or AdBlue.
I wrote the article. It talks about the entire exhaust emissions system, where is it incorrect? If so, I will correct it.

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
AdBlue (DEF) is the same wherever you buy it. Truck stops, auto parts stores, Walmart....it's all the same.

grohgreg

TDI
2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Yeah, my NAPA store's got it priced at about $12 for a 2.5 gal jug. But since the VW dealer gave me the impression that I get mine free from them under the 3/36 CareFree Maintenance program, NAPA may not be getting my money for a while.

//greg//

Last edited:

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Some one had claimed that in emergency, you may pee in the adblue resivor. Our pee has amonia that is a component of adblue.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Not true.
Actually, it IS true! Urea is a byproduct of protein metabolism produced by ALL mammals. It is very water soluble and therefore is excreted by the kidneys / bladder / etc. Unfortunately what we excrete is FAR from the 30% concentration required for the Bluetec (or AdBlue) system. It would be just as effective to use clean water.:cool::D Well, almost!

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Some one had claimed that in emergency, you may pee in the adblue resivor. Our pee has amonia that is a component of adblue.
According to VW's technical literature and from what I've heard from someone who worked in Adblue equipment, in the Touareg or Q7's system, if you put water or pee into the system, the NOx sensor will know it's not working. Either the 600 miles till empty countdown will begin or you will get an immediate no start possible message.

The fluid level sensors also work off the conductivity of the urea solution. I don't know how a change in concentration of the solution will affect conductivity and how full or empty the sensors will think the tank is if you dilute it with water or pee. Since the ammonia in Adblue can evaporate, I'm sure there is some tolerance but probably not enough so that you can top off with your wee.

Last edited:

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Actually its not. The minerals and other contaminants in urine will quickly destroy the AdBlue system.
It IS true that pee has urea in it - always has, always will. What is also NOT true about the post is that "some have said you can pee in the system in an emergency" You are probably correct that is would not be useful to do that. The concentration of urea in human urine is way short of the amount required by the AdBlue system as designed. We were BOTH right - and both wrong!:D

Randomhero1172

TDI
2003 Jetta
You thought you got funny looks filling up with diesel?

"yeah im just pissing in my tank so my car runs properly"

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
But wait, there's more: I was listening to Road Hog on Sirius radio the other day. There was discussion about a Canadian trucker who insisted on putting gasoline in his DEF tank. His reason - "The thing needs to run hotter"!! I didn't hear if he is still on the road or not.:D:D

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
The wife's AD blue light is back on again. She wants to take it to the dealer to have it filled up. They did it the last time the Treg was in the shop. I told her that it is so simple to do that there is no reason to pay them and have it done. I also told her that there is a similar product available at just about any truck stop, and she freaked! :eek: Has anyone out there used the truck stop stuff, and have there been any problems with it? I just want to re-assure her with your experiences. She won't believe me, but of course I'm just her husband.:rolleyes:
You can just get a 2 1/2 gallon bottle for only around $8.00 from Walmart & be done with it!

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Def is Def no matter where you buy it from. Truckstop, WalMart, AutoZone or dealer. All Def is the same.