Help with part number for side crash sensor

J H Musser

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan-sold
Like many here have had my air bag fault light message. I searched this forum and found many people have had this happen with the 2005-6 models. Went to the nearest dealer and had them do the 97U3 recall on both front seats. The air bag fault would not "clear". They told me they would have to do the MPI Multipoint scan for $75. I approved it and then they said " fault stored for side crash sensor in driver door because of damaged door harness connector allowing moisture into connector housing corroding wire terminals."

They gave me an estimate of a little more than $600 for replacing door harness and repinnning connector at A pillar. That sounds pretty steep. I have a local mechanic that I am going to speak to about doing the job. I would like to be able to give him the exact part numbers for the items he will need. I have spent two days searching for the part numbers for these items but I have came up blank.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I did find the following thread which looks like it might help, but no specific part numbers were included (that I recognized)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=263154&highlight=WALDO

J H Musser

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan-sold
I called the dealership back this morning (Monday) and asked for the parts department. I asked if they would give me the parts number and they did. The harness is 1K55-971-120-G and I was quoted a price of $128. I found the harness with a Google search at http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/1k5971120g/ES321972/ for $117 and the parts man suggested that I might only have broken wires and he suggested that a wire splice might fix the fault code. He said the parts are 000-979-019-EA for $14.04 each. I found the wires at
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/000_979_019/ES1008999/ for about $10. He also said that each wire (with their gold plated ends) could be cut in two lengths and "FIX" two separate broken wires.
I have the parts coming and will have my local mechanic do the fix for me. I am just ordering the wires first and hoping the problem is in the wires and not the harness. The parts man said a resistence change would show up with a broken wire and MAYBE the harness connector was still fine.

I will post what happens later this week. I hope this might help others with similiar problems with their airbag.

This sight has been tremendously helpful to me as I am a first time VW diesel owner.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I would go with the wire repair first. The first time my '09 coded for the sensor, the dealer popped it in. A week later, the sensor coded again and the door lock was working intermittenty. When I brought it back, they changed the sensor, the lock and the harness. My bet was that it was the harness all along. At least it was all on VW's dime.

J H Musser

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan-sold
About 4 months ago, I suddenly lost the ability to raise or lower the rear power windows. After researching this site, I suspected the wires in the door boot to be the problem. My 2006 is no longer on warranty, so I have a local mechanic do much of my work. He found that I had broken wires in 3 of the four doors. He spliced the broken wires and every thing works fine now. At that time I had not ever had the airbag light come on. I have found numerous posts on this site about broken wire problems in the door boots. I am surprised with this type of problem. I have owned over a dozen vehicles over the last 40 years, and I don't every remember having this type of problem. I will post the eventual outcome when the car comes back from the local mechanic.

J H Musser

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan-sold
I received the air bag harness wires from the dealer via UPS and took them to my local mechanic. Thought I was going to run into an easy fix. I also thought I was going to save myself some time in the process. My mechanic took the door apart and found that the wires were the wrong size. GO FIGURE. I have not had the best luck lately with my Jetta. So he called his local supplier and ordered what he felt were the correct ones----two days later, they came in and guess what----once again they did not fit. He had CarQuest try again and they finally sent the correct ones. Usually I have good results with CarQuest. Mechanic got the correct wires. Found that three were corroded and he replaced them. Used the computer to clear the code and got our Jetta back home. Was quoted around $600 to fix the door by the nearest dealer and $250 for an outer C/V boot replacement on our last trip to the dealership. Thought it was a little high. My local mechanic did the C/V boot and airbag harness job for a combined total of about $300. I am feeling pretty good about the fixes. I now have a 2006 Special Edition with 88K miles what has just had a timing belt/water pump, new front wheel bearings replaced, DSG serviced, new tires, all electrical issues (windows, air bag, and associated wiring replaced). This car is my first VW and it rides great and has plenty of power and now I hope I am in good shape for quite a few miles. I also had him look at the cam and he said it looks like new. So if the flywheel holds up then I am looking pretty good.

J H Musser

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan-sold
I can't believe this vehicle-------after going one whole week without the annoying dash light----the light came back on. I can't remember the last time I have been so frustrated with a problem. The recall has been performed under both seats, broken wires have been spliced, new wires have been put into the harness in the place of corroded ones, and about $5-600 has been spent on this problem. I guess the next step is to get a BLACK SHARPIE and just blackout the spot on the dash where the stupid light keeps popping up. I would really appreciate any advice from members who have solved this problem in their vehicles.

I have found a very high number of posts on the issue of air bag fault codes and lights in this post since I encountered my problem. It is disheartening that a vehicle can have this many problems with the driver protection system----VW seemed to drop the ball on this system design.

J H Musser

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan-sold
No, but the VW dealer ran the diagnostic and the report said " fault stored for side crash sensor in driver door because of damaged door harness connector allowing moisture into connector housing corroding wire terminals." I had the faulty wires replaced that showed signs of corrosion. The code went away and then came back again later.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
That's just it, with the VCDS you can trace it yourself and see if it was also the sensor and not just the harness. That's what happened with my car. If you own a VW, you should own VCDS.

J H Musser

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan-sold
I just ordered the Ross Tech VCDS. I hope this is going to be worth the cost. Are these the same units that the dealers use to scan our cars?

J H Musser

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan-sold
Got my VCDS in today, ran the self diagnosis program. Got the following codes:
01333 Door control Module Rear Left 004 No signal/communication-Intermittent
01331 Door control module drivers side 004 no signal/communication -intermittent
01221 Crash sensor side airbag: driver side 010 open or short to plus-intermittent MIL on
00932 electric window motor drivers side 005 no or incorrect basic setting/adaptaion-intermittent

Took the printed copy to my mechanic and he feels that all of the codes lead back to the air bag harness. He ordered one for me and is going to replace it. I probably should of had him do it when he had the door skin off in the wire replacement which I referred to in the origonal message.

Last edited:

brandon910

TDI
2005.5 JETTA TDI
now that you have a VAG... you should know how to research solutions for which the codes you are finding.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

also know the diagnostic procedures (link on top right). These are basic things that can really help a new VCDS user and VW owner. Your on the way to saving lots of money by doing the work yourself. Next step is to start collecting some specialty tools required to do your own work and then only use a dealer to purchase OEM parts that will last and are SPEC'd out by those damn German engineers who are good at what they do. Stop using Carquest, Napa, Ebay and crap that you dont know exactly what it is. Stick to this forum and use recommended vendors for OEM parts. Youll also find lots of tips and tricks.

J H Musser

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan-sold
Finally got the car into the shop and our mechanic replaced the air bag harness in the drivers door. Light is OFF and I hope to never see it again. Wife has the car on the road today and I will hook it up to the VCDS tomorrow and see if all of the codes are gone. Will post results when I get them.

Zmwill

TDI
2006 jetta tro
My light has recently come on. At the EXACT same time my front passenger door lock has begun to behave differently. The cabin dome light is inermittent with regards to the front passenger door being open. Before the airbag light came on the doors electric lock would only function with the doors closed. Now the electric locks function when the front passenger door IS open or closed. All other door function as normal... they lock only when closed. Any ideas? And what is this VCDS you guys are talking of?