P1537 Intake Manifold Runner Control

SR7D1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Followup to the CEL question from last week.

Last week I got a CEL on the way home. I had to go out of town for a few days and took another car instead. So this morning I went to AutoZone and had them pull the code. It's a P 1537 Intake manifold runner control (bank 1) stuck open. Another code was bank 2, again, stuck open.

So. I checked and the previous owner had the manifold cleaned last year.

Any thoughts? I searched for code 1537 here and found nothing but I found plenty of threads on how to clean you intake manifold.

If it was just cleaned less than 5000 miles ago, would that be logical to take it apart and clean it again so soon?

:confused:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Their code reader did not read the code properly. According to Bently, that code is:

P1537
Engine Shutoff Solenoid Malfunction
Fwiw,

P1538
Engine Shutoff Solenoid Open/Short to Ground
Sounds like you need to get your hands on a real VW scan tool.

-J

SR7D1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Thanks everyone. I got an offer to scan it with a vag-com, from a guy about 30 miles away. I may drive out there this week. I just hate to drive it with a CEL.

The dealer wants $80 to read the code and then they apply it to the repair. I'd like to know what's wrong before I spend $80. Who knows, maybe I can fix it myself?

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
Take the money you would give to the dealer, buy a Bentley manual, and look at pages 23-7 and 23-8. The procedure to check the fuel shutoff valve is there. Summary: there is a valve on the right hand (from front of car) corner of the injection pump, right under the fuel return line connection, with one wire on top of it. I suspect that either this wire is the cause of your problems, or you need to replace the shutoff valve. I could also be wrong, and will stand corrected in advance... :)