Mobil Delvac-1 ESP vs Shell Rotella T6

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I’ve been using delvac 1 since 1998. The prices have become outrageous if not on sale. Can anyone point out the pros and cons of the t6 vs the delvac? Not looking for an oil war. Is there any detriment from going to t6 after 18 years of using decaf in this motor? (Oil usage? Leakage)

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
No reasons. I've actually found just the opposite. DelVac has been so inexpensive that I buy/use it in my motorcycle and yard/garden power equipment. Less than T6 by a good margin
Local fleet store sells it for $25/gal every day and Mobil has the $12/gal rebate good thru 12/31/18. This week they had it on sale (first time I recall they had DelVac on sale, usually just the M1 TDT) for $20/gal. So with the rebate it's $8/gal for superb oil.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Delvac

I agree with Jettawreck.There is a 60.00 rebate on the five gal buckets. I picked up 20 gallon at 99.00 a 5 gallon during the last sale at farm and fleet a while back. That worked out to 8.00 a gallon for oil. I will take that all day long. Last I checked, they had the five gallons buckets for 119.00 -60 rebate = $59.00 net or 12.00 a gallon.

TDI
tdi less
I also cut my diesel teeth on Del1, with three TDI's then a Sprinter van (rv conversion) life was good until we got our new '06 E450. Usual routine, first change oil change at about 800 miles to full synthetic, instead of a steady near full oil level throughout my standard 3,500 mile changes I needed a quart at about 1000 miles.

For our application, 24' motorhome that is just about two tons from a maxed out chassis the only oil that stays at the full mark is Amsoil. I don't sell the stuff, I don't know anyone who sells the stuff and I don't care if anyone buys it or not - it is the only oil that will stay at almost exactly the full mark until I change it.

Literally dozens of uoa's show no viscosity changes, very low wear levels and no detectable glycol.

All should know that the 6.0 is detuned big time- less than half of the hp- in the E series due to the lack of available space - much much smaller air cleaner and radiator as compared to the trucks.

With the exception of a new starter and alternator it has only needed scheduled maint and yes it is tight in there but really all is doable-with patience.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where do you get the rebate?
As posted, I do mine on-line, but the local Fleet store has paper rebate forms also if that's preferable. The best part, at least for me, is the rebates are processed in the small town where I live where there is a huge "promotion fulfillment" company. Years ago I recieved one of the rebates at half what was due. A simple phone call to someone I could understand (and maybe even knew) straightened it out in a few minutes and soon recieved the balance of the refund.
The current rebate program runs from 3/1/18-12/31/18. Limit 10 gal jugs or 6 five gal pails per household. Round up some friends/neighbors if you need more, I guess.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Delvac

Amazon or where ever...just get the best price and produce a receipt. Amazon you can print out a receipt as well. Just find your best price.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Amazon or where ever...just get the best price and produce a receipt. Amazon you can print out a receipt as well. Just find your best price.

Nope. I Just read thru the paper version rules/limitations. Amazon purchases are specifically excluded from rebate participation.
Full terms/conditions at mobildelvac.com/rebate or you can even text them for submission instructions.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Nope. I Just read thru the paper version rules/limitations. Amazon purchases are specifically excluded from rebate participation.
Full terms/conditions at mobildelvac.com/rebate or you can even text them for submission instructions.
Ha!.. thanks for the clarification. I have a farm and fleet 10 minutes from my house, so I am covered!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Just make sure the store you want to buy it from is listed on the specific list. Day before Easter I was at a local Runnings store- I saw the Delvac ESP1 on the shelf, tag said $18.99/gallon. It rang up over $24/gallon, I politely told cashier that shelf said $18.99-she had someone check and I got it for the $18.99. I bought all 8 gallons they had. So I have enough for a couple years. I was back at store a couple weeks ago to see if they had any more, but the shelf tag was gone for the ESP1.....I just sent the rebate in last week, $96 is largest rebate check I think I've ever sent for....

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
No comparison,Mobil 1 delvac is the best diesel oil Mobil makes, no comparison with shell.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
At a 10k mile oci there won't be any difference between the mobil, shell, chevron etc. CJ4/CK4 5w-40 oils. That rebate on the mobil oils is a heck of a deal though.