Discounted TDI oil locator thread

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I got 5 gallons of Rotella 5w40 in 2.5gl. jugs at Seabrook Walmart for $30. each. Mismarked I'm sure but a good deal.

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Yes, but that's only the Qt bottles. A physical check in Walmart did show the Qt had the 507, but the Castrol Edge 5w-30 in the Qt container did not have the 507 listed on label.
However D Bill shows the 507. Will go back and check that I looked at correct bottle, think these (ones I looked at) did not have the "LL" on them. (Did post (tried) that the only the Qt had 507 spec however last two posts would not "post")

If I see that the "LL" has the VW 507 listed I'll get two or more. My local store just may not stock the "LL" know they do not have the Mobil 1 rated as a Cx for my truck, but can order - that may be the confusion, sorry

D_Bill

Veteran Member
TDI
old_v1 - 01 jetta / old_v2 02 golf / new 13 jsw-6sp
castrol

Iffen everyone kinda agrees that

Castrol Edge 5w-30 LL ( in 5qt jugs ) for ~ $ 29

meets the 507 spec I may want to go back online and order some more really soon as it seems a good price these days . . .

Thanks D Bill

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
Well went to Walmart and no LL oil, so ordered on line however Price went up to $30.32 without tax & free shipping (on 7/6/20) so that's 6.06/qt still a good price for me. Thanks for mentioning it. Alan

D_Bill

Veteran Member
TDI
old_v1 - 01 jetta / old_v2 02 golf / new 13 jsw-6sp
wallmart

Yep - on my second order the price went up to 30.32 - however I still bought a bunch . I 'm one of those that buys it on sale before I really need it rather than wait and pay top $$$ .

Napa ( not in favor as much as it was in the 60's and 70's ( ??? ) had/has Mann oil filters for ~$6 /ea when purchased in bulk ( 3 or 6 or ??? ) so I 'm good for awhile .

Always glad when we can save a dollar or six . . . .

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
If you are ordering from walmart.com don’t order 4 at one time, they put all 4 in one box with one piece of tape on either side, my box split open, but somehow all 4 jugs of oil made it to me.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Thanks, I was Multi-tasking and left out the most important part. The 0W30 M1 ESP 507 was also the same price, didn't give it a thought (if i was way up north, well then maybe). I probably should have gotten some for the Jeep, but I had just ordered 10 liters of Pentosin 5w40 (MB229.51)(505.01 too)(from FCP Euro)witch I prefer for it anyway, and looking around for the extra liter/qt after I ordered is how I found the NAPA deal anyway.

Last edited:

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got an Email from ID Part saying they made a special purchase on M1 ESP 5w30, but the email DOESN'T list a price and the price on the website listed $11.99 USD.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Lubri moly 4200 507 rated oil on sale presently at Napa

$55 vs 75
its the 4200 which says 507 etc

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
NAPA's Valvoline sale oil is the wrong one for our common rail TDi cars.

Valvoline makes two 5W30 European motor oils for North America:

• VALVOLINE™ EUROPEAN VEHICLE SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OIL
  • VALVOLINE™ EUROPEAN VEHICLE XL-III SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OIL
Only the second one (XL-III) is VW 504.0/507.0 certified and thus suitable for our CR TDi's. The first one is sometimes badged MST, which is how NAPA lists it on their website via the link donDavide posted above. NAPA does carry the XL-III, but only in a 5-gallon box for $137 (regular price, not on sale), which is $6.85/qt.Note the XL-III badge on the lower right corner of the box. The 5-qt version is also badged with XL-III:This is very confusing, and I don't blame donDavide for getting it wrong.

If you want to validate my info, here are my sources:

Here's the product page for the Valvoline European Vehicle motor oils.There's a list of oils and part numbers on the bottom of the page. It does not identify MST vs XL-III on the list, but from what I can tell from web searches, parts 787301 and 881055 are MST, and parts 881058 and 881167 are XL-III. It seems strange that there is no 5 qt package for MST and no 1 qt for XL-III, so the list may be incomplete; or Valvoline just might be weird.

If you click the "PI SHEET" link near the top of the product page, you'll get a PDF with detailed specs for each oil in this family. MST is on page 3, and XL-III is on page 5. This is where you'll find the specific VW certifications listed. Here's the direct link:Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
O’reily/Shell rebate. Rotella T6 5-40, buy 2 get 1 free

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
NAPA's Valvoline sale oil is the wrong one for our common rail TDi cars.

Valvoline makes two 5W30 European motor oils for North America:

• VALVOLINE™ EUROPEAN VEHICLE SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OIL
  • VALVOLINE™ EUROPEAN VEHICLE XL-III SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OIL
Only the second one (XL-III) is VW 504.0/507.0 certified and thus suitable for our CR TDi's. The first one is sometimes badged MST, which is how NAPA lists it on their website via the link donDavide posted above. NAPA does carry the XL-III, but only in a 5-gallon box for $137 (regular price, not on sale), which is $6.85/qt.Note the XL-III badge on the lower right corner of the box. The 5-qt version is also badged with XL-III:This is very confusing, and I don't blame donDavide for getting it wrong.

If you want to validate my info, here are my sources:

Here's the product page for the Valvoline European Vehicle motor oils.There's a list of oils and part numbers on the bottom of the page. It does not identify MST vs XL-III on the list, but from what I can tell from web searches, parts 787301 and 881055 are MST, and parts 881058 and 881167 are XL-III. It seems strange that there is no 5 qt package for MST and no 1 qt for XL-III, so the list may be incomplete; or Valvoline just might be weird.

If you click the "PI SHEET" link near the top of the product page, you'll get a PDF with detailed specs for each oil in this family. MST is on page 3, and XL-III is on page 5. This is where you'll find the specific VW certifications listed. Here's the direct link:Hope this is helpful.
I Did say "Apparently" for a reason.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
And here is a link with the specific vehicle info form NAPA's website which says it is for a Common Rail Diesel,I can't see the back of bottle and doesn't list specs which is why again I said apparently.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/searc...=5w30&keywordInput=5w30&referer=nol-veh-conds
Yes, it was quite confusing, and it took me a while to figure it out. I think the oil NAPA has on sale is for other makers' common rail engines, like Mercedes. Thanks for your contributions!

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Really hard to beat FCP Euro, yes initial purchase is costly, but from there forward all oil changes, filters, wipers etc. are free. Just pay with PayPal and take advantage of the PayPal return shipping reimbursement program