Rotella T6 in PD

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Is there an official definition of what makes the plus? It's not been in any of the base stock definitions and tables I have seen. I have seen tables with differences between II and II+ but no mention of III+. Hence my answer, as I don't have a definition of what III+ is.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Is there an official definition of what makes the plus? It's not been in any of the base stock definitions and tables I have seen. I have seen tables with differences between II and II+ but no mention of III+. Hence my answer, as I don't have a definition of what III+ is.
I don't know if there's anything official on it. It's like...super group III / almost PAO. Think of it as a Group III oil that performs like PAO. T 5w40 and T6 have no PAO though.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
So it's refined from the same stuff as other group III oils, but it has Shell's super-mega-hyper-spectacular-uber-awesome-grande-hydronuked™ process to make it badass.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
So Shell T 6 is a group III oil and Mobil 1'S truck is a group IV which up here the Shell is some $33.00 a 5 lilter jug and the Mobil is $46.00 a 4.4 lilter jug at wallymart I believe. Some out here seem to think the Shell is gods gift to TDI's. It sounds good but is really that great as everyone claims it to be?? What is the Zinc content etc., in the T 6, or does anyone know??? Each their own, we all I am sure have our fav., as to what we like to use. I am just trying to see if there is something better then the Amsoil I am using and at same time less money out of my pocket plus easier to get, as I can walk into a Wallymart and pick it up. Sounds to me both are twice what one pays south of the border and the fact that we are getting ripped off big time up here. Need to do some cross border shopping some time soon maybe and if the Shell is really all that great get me a case or two. Will use the Shell as the Amsoil is a little costly. May save even on Amsoil as I use the AMO 10W40 with the high Zinc etc., in it, in my 2006 Jetta PD TDI. Everyone have a great day eh.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
So it's refined from the same stuff as other group III oils, but it has Shell's super-mega-hyper-spectacular-uber-awesome-grande-hydronuked™ process to make it badass.
Yep, this pretty much sums it up! :D

FWIW, Mobil has been doing a similar thing: TDT, M1 0w40 and the ESP oils have some Super GIII mixed in. Mobil won't say how much, or what kind of basestocks...

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
My 2 pennies:

Been using Rotella T6, for lask 20k miles (coming up on 145k) on 06 BRM TDi. I bought the vehicle with 125k miles; so not sure what it's had in it.

I change it every 5k miles as a personal preference; so maybe my data is not as good as others on the forum. Also, I don't send my oil out to be tested. I just change it (as for me it's cheap enough). No issues thus-far.

Also, I agree that the key is the 5W40 on this. 5W30 will lead to premature cam wear/failure. Once the engine is up to operating temperature the 40 weight provides better protection.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
My 2 pennies:

Been using Rotella T6, for lask 20k miles (coming up on 145k) on 06 BRM TDi. I bought the vehicle with 125k miles; so not sure what it's had in it.

I change it every 5k miles as a personal preference; so maybe my data is not as good as others on the forum. Also, I don't send my oil out to be tested. I just change it (as for me it's cheap enough). No issues thus-far.

Also, I agree that the key is the 5W40 on this. 5W30 will lead to premature cam wear/failure. Once the engine is up to operating temperature the 40 weight provides better protection.
Really, you're throwing money (and perfectly good oil) away by doing this. With stock filtering, 10K is plenty early to change out oil. New oil is not superior -- it's the older oil that is more protective (there are numerous threads on this) and if you're micro-filtering with a bypass system, you can easily go 20 - 25K miles with excellent used oil analyses.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Really, you're throwing money (and perfectly good oil) away by doing this. With stock filtering, 10K is plenty early to change out oil. New oil is not superior -- it's the older oil that is more protective (there are numerous threads on this) and if you're micro-filtering with a bypass system, you can easily go 20 - 25K miles with excellent used oil analyses.
Yes, there are many who follow these forums and still just don't get it. They somehow feel that an oil change is a great thing to protect their engine. Yes, oil does reach a point where it needs to be refreshed because it has worn out of its useful life but anything under 10K is just ignorant and a waste of good money. :(

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
... but it get all black and dirty looking. :p
It doesn't get all sooty if you suck the oil out of the oil filter housing every change.

In 10k, mine gets a little grey, but not black like most diesels. I use the Pela to suck out the pan, and all ports in the oil filter housing.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Using the chevron delo 400 xsp 5w-40 CK-4 in my 2001 bug. Works fine and cannot tell any difference. $20.84 per gallon at Wally World.