Rotella T6 in PD

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
505.01 and 5w40 are not VW specific specs.
Yeah, ummm...

The "505.01" IS a VW/AUDI Specification - It is a Mfg Specification by the engineers in Europe that designed the engine. The 5W40 Part is an international standard (SAE International) Due to the details of 505.01 -

The Majority of the 505.01 Oils are 5w40 and almost all of the 505.01 Oils were 5w40 when the spec was first released. Currently, there are a number of 5W30 Oils that meet 505.01 - and some of them are available in the USA - Valvoline SynPower 5W30 MST, which is only sold in 50+ Gallon Drums, and is available at many Valvoline Quick Lube type places as well as at some VW Dealerships, is VW Approved to 505.01 - Jiffy Lube can get sometimes get Shell Helix Diesel Ultra VA, which is approved to 505.01 as well. AS far as VW Warranty is concerned, just need to use an oil that meets the specification for the Engine in the ca.

Also, since there was discussion above about Valavoline SynPower 5W40....

If you can find the Valvoline SynPower 5W40 - It is VW/AUDI Approved Oil for 505.01 Specification (Approved by VW/AUDI -- and not just a claim by Valvoline- It is on the list) - I don't shop Wally World often, but the few times I have shopped there the Valvoline 5W40 was not on the shelf... Most NAPA Stores carry it, or can get it in a day or two....

Would the Rotella T6 5W40pass formal approval testing if tested by VW/AUDI??? Who knows - it seems to be really good oil based on testing and usage by people here on this forum...

W-

Last edited:

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
Ah, but is it Valvoline or VW that says it meets it? If it is certified by VW, all well and good. But if it is just a marketing claim by Valvoline, then not.

I'll look into the Liqui Moly and Pentosin availability/pricing at my local NAPA, but I suspect I'll end up staying with T6.
YES, Valvoline 5W40 Synpower, the one available in the USA, is on the VW/Audi Approved List - it was approved in August 2007 (formal approval letter from VW, Wolfsburg, Germany, is posted here on this web site somewhere). Note: I don't think it made it on the Nov 2007 Listing, or the JAN 08 Listing, Published by VW/Audi. It was added to later listings.

bengone1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW GTi 1Z powered. 06 Jetta PD. 01 allroad 6sp
My .02c on the motorcycle usage:
I use it in my Suzuki SV650 and Kawasaki 650R with great results. I tried it in a sport bike that redlines to 13,500. It didn't sound too happy after a 20 min track session in cool weather. Switched to 10w-40 Mobil synthetic motorcycle oil and it sounded a lot better during a hotter track day. I don't believe it is built for high RPMs.

Great oil for a lot of vehicles. My lawn mower and generator love the stuff. In fact, scientists at NASA are researching T6 in pill form to combat cancer causing radiation in astronauts. Promising results in lab rats.

bengone1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW GTi 1Z powered. 06 Jetta PD. 01 allroad 6sp
FYi
The clutch spring are weak from the factory. If the clutch starts slipping. It isn't the oil.

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
Would anyone with an ounce of sense even drive into any quick lube place of any brand? :eek:
I am sure that there are some Quick Lube Places out there that do a good job... But, I also think Big Foot exists... Both are still to be proven...

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
As for the VW 505.01 specification, that might be a concern during the warranty period but not any more as the warranty period is way past.

Why would you say that? As I understand it the 505.01 specification is really a group of specifications that the engines to which they apply need to protect the engine.

The 10W40 or like number is a measure of the thickness of the oil at specific temperatures.

They are not one or the other, the oil you use needs to meet both specifications for your VW.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I may stray from my Schaeffer's S9000 (No offense to my friends in St. Louis) and try the Rotella T6 5W40. I picked up a 5 qt jug on special at Autozone on sale some time ago. I can't decide if I want to use it in Mom's Passat 1.8t or my Jetta PD.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Where are you getting 5 qt. jugs? All I see are 4 qt (1 U.S. gallon).

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
1st fill of T6 in my PD this weekend, we'll so how it goes.
I'm right at 100k miles now and have been using M1 TDT lately.

Last edited:

lilspoon

TDI
2004 jetta
I have always heard from fellow friends/mechanics that rotella is not the greatest oil to use. I will probably run valvoline like I have in all my diesels.
Just my opinion. Worries me that the dealers have stopped using 5w40 though.

SignHere

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I have always heard from fellow friends/mechanics that rotella is not the greatest oil to use. I will probably run valvoline like I have in all my diesels.

It's your car man. 5w 30 eats cams and pisses metal shavings through your engine. Who cares what VW says. They deny the facts!

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Don't confuse the different oils that Shell sells under the Rotella name. The conventional Rotella T 15w-40 has definitely fallen from being the awesome oil it once was. At the very least there are a lot better conventional HDEO 15w-40 oils out there, like Delvac 1300 Super.

Rotella T6, is absolutely one of the best synthetic HDEOils you can find, no question in my mind.

T = Crap.
T6 = Excellence.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Worries me that the dealers have stopped using 5w40 though.
You CAN get a 5w40 505.01, which is also MB 229.51. It is currently available at dealers, you may have to demand it be used in your PD, which is perfectly acceptable.
The oil is Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel, VW/Audi Part number: G 052167M2
SAE 5w40, fully synthetic motor oil.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Don't confuse the different oils that Shell sells under the Rotella name. The conventional Rotella T 15w-40 has definitely fallen from being the awesome oil it once was. At the very least there are a lot better conventional HDEO 15w-40 oils out there, like Delvac 1300 Super.

Rotella T6, is absolutely one of the best synthetic HDEOils you can find, no question in my mind.

T = Crap.
T6 = Excellence.
Rotella T 15w40 still has a good truck (medium and big) following, it can't be a bad oil.

d-man

Veteran Member
TDI
05 jetta PD
The four banger TDI does not get very hot, so a 15w-40 might be on the heavy side if your not doing long hard driving and will hurt fuel economy in short trip driving.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Thanks for the confirmation. It's nice to be able to use the same oil in the PD and motorcycle. Cheap too at Wally World.
check and make sure you can use it on the bike....would really suck wiping out the drive train on the bike buy not using a suitable
oil for wet clutches

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
I admit I was a little bit hard on Rotella T, calling it crap and all, but on my personal list, Rotella T would be pretty low. My short list for 15w-40 would be: Delvac, Supertech (Walmart), Delo, Motorcraft, Rotella T, other house brands.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
check and make sure you can use it on the bike....would really suck wiping out the drive train on the bike buy not using a suitable
oil for wet clutches
T6 is JASO MA, the previous version (RTS) was not.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta

there you go.
Here is the problem with the new formulations( Mobil 1 TDT and T6) and the TBN count. I just finished reading a study on Magnesium vs calcium on actual field tests. The conclusion was Magnesium by itself, plus wear metals and TBN showed that wear metals especially bearing metals started at a higher TBN and that TAN should also be taken into account. Calcium did better by itself than Magnesium but not much better with iron wear. The conclusion was that 6 to 1 ratio of calcium and magnesium resulted in the best wear of all metals. Both TDT and T6 have a 50/50 ratio.

The white paper conclusion was much more complicated as it was designed for the commercial truck analysis side of the business. My conclusion based on the field testing was you change out oil sooner than what the TBN indicates when you have doses of magnesium at greater than a 6 to 1 ratio.

Tool Slick has refined this to looking at the Boron count versus what the Boron starts out at and when that count gets down as another indicator.

I would say do not go by the TBN in the above oil analysis. The wear metals and the boron say you should change sooner.

Now if you just put the above aside and just say i am going to change at 10,000 miles, I think that would probably the easiest solution.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
505.01 and 5w40 are not VW specific specs.
??? 505.01 is a VW specific specification...

There are official 505.01 oils not sold by VW of America. Lots of them, but they can be hard to find at local retailers. That Valvoline 5w40 I've seen around.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Rotella T 15W40 can't be all bad as a friend changes the oil in his 2003 Dodge diesel only once a year and he puts on 80,000 km's a year on the truck and the truck now has over 650,000 km's on it and still runs great so the 15W40 can't be all bad. Syn., are better but with the 2003 truck above it makes me wonder some what. I have one thing to ask is the Shell T 6 a true syn., a type 4, or is it just a group 3 syn.?

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not going to ever be able live down saying Rotella T was crap... :rolleyes:

T6 is a group III with some group IV tossed in for good measure.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Rotella T 15W40 can't be all bad as a friend changes the oil in his 2003 Dodge diesel only once a year and he puts on 80,000 km's a year on the truck and the truck now has over 650,000 km's on it and still runs great so the 15W40 can't be all bad. Syn., are better but with the 2003 truck above it makes me wonder some what. I have one thing to ask is the Shell T 6 a true syn., a type 4, or is it just a group 3 syn.?
I'm not going to ever be able live down saying Rotella T was crap... :rolleyes:

T6 is a group III with some group IV tossed in for good measure.
T6 is Group III+. No PAO, and no typical Group III.