Rotella T6 in PD

tupdegrove

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI PD Auto
Bought 2005 Jetta TDI PD (1st diesel). Been reading and searching lots of oil posts but am still unclear on Rotella T6. Read that 505.1 is needed for PD. Are folks using Rotella T6 in a PD? UOA good? I haven't used the car yet so I can change it out if necessary. Great forum. Thanks.

kpenner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI 3.0L
I have a 2005 NB and all I use is Rotella T6, I have put 55K on it in the last year and no problems. The guru's on this forum recommend it!

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
In fact, I dare say T6 is the most popular, or is well on its way to being the most popular oil on this forum.

I use it in both my PD engines, and one of them runs 20k mile oil change intervals.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Joe, I think that was the problem, or else he would have been happily using T6 already. :D

tupdegrove

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI PD Auto
Thanks for the confirmation. It's nice to be able to use the same oil in the PD and motorcycle. Cheap too at Wally World.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Have you check the owner's manual?:rolleyes:
Joe, the manual specs grade 5W40

However, VW has discontinued that grade and is using a 5W30 grade oil which is resulting in cam damage.

Since T6 is 5W40 grade, it does not cause the same damage.

As for the VW 505.01 specification, that might be a concern during the warranty period but not any more as the warranty period is way past.

You know, a conspiracy theorist might say that VW dropped the grade to 5W30 because they could then make more money selling new cams! ;)

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD

However, VW has discontinued that grade and is using a 5W30 grade oil which is resulting in cam damage.

Since T6 is 5W40 grade, it does not cause the same damage.

As for the VW 505.01 specification, that might be a concern during the warranty period but not any more as the warranty period is way past.

You know, a conspiracy theorist might say that VW dropped the grade to 5W30 because they could then make more money selling new cams! ;)
They would have to quite a stupid conspiracy theorist. Selling a few cams that are likely outsourced so less profit per piece, is worth alot less than the loss in sales that will occur if the cam problem really was bad and customers stopped buying their new cars.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Thanks for the confirmation. It's nice to be able to use the same oil in the PD and motorcycle. Cheap too at Wally World.

I would NOT use T6 on my motorcycle - Use the motorcycle specific oils from your shop. Engine oil on a motorcycle also deals with the transmission gears and clutch as well.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
That's a pretty universal statement not true for all motorcycles, most HD have separate gear boxes and I'm sure other brands do also.

I would NOT use T6 on my motorcycle - Use the motorcycle specific oils from your shop. Engine oil on a motorcycle also deals with the transmission gears and clutch as well.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
It's JASO-MA.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver

However, VW has discontinued that grade and is using a 5W30 grade oil which is resulting in cam damage. ;)
What do you mean VW has discontinued that grade. As far as I know VW does not refine oil. They specify the type of oil recommended and may put their name on some bottles of an oil and sell them over the counter, but as far as I know there are generic oils available at auto parts stores that meet or exceed the specifications for all VW cars. You are not required to use an oil with the VW name on it.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
As for the VW 505.01 specification, that might be a concern during the warranty period but not any more as the warranty period is way past. ;)
Maybe whatever oil you are using may work well in your car, but I would feel a lot safer if whatever brand of oil I put in my car would meet the specification for that car. It need not have the VW name on it however.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What do you mean VW has discontinued that grade. As far as I know VW does not refine oil. They specify the type of oil recommended and may put their name on some bottles of an oil and sell them over the counter, but as far as I know there are generic oils available at auto parts stores that meet or exceed the specifications for all VW cars. You are not required to use an oil with the VW name on it.
Maybe whatever oil you are using may work well in your car, but I would feel a lot safer if whatever brand of oil I put in my car would meet the specification for that car. It need not have the VW name on it however.
I went to the VW dealer to ask about purchasing 505.01 5W40. I asked for 5W40 grade oil meeting VW spec 505.01 and was told it is no longer available; they can only get the 5W30 grade. So if the VW dealers can't even order it from VW, then I consider it "discontinued" by VW. If YOU can find a FLAPS/dealer source of a 5W40 oil officially certified by VW as meeting their 505.01 specification, by all means share it.

Oh, and nowhere did I say it had VW's name on the bottle.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Let's hold on there a minute or two. 5W30 … etc are weight grades. 505.1 is a oil specification r separate from weight, and includes acid buffers, lubrication under certain conditions etc.

It seems the specification are like comparing sand and milk. they are just not the same thing.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1. VW SPECIFIED the following for my car: VW SPECIFICATION 505.01 in SAE GRADE 5W40 motor oil.

2. VW no longer carries/sells/uses VW SPECIFICATION 505.01 in SAE GRADE 5W40 motor oil.

3. Thus for my purposes VW has DISCONTINUED it.

Now do YOU know of a source for VW SPECIFICATION 505.01 in SAE GRADE 5W40 motor oil?

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmm, I'll have to see if my local "NAPA" can get either of these as I prefer to shop locally when the sales tax is less than the shipping from out of state. Thanks!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Who cares about 505.01 anyway anymore? I am going to run T6 shell in my BEW and forget about it. I already run it in my ALH cars and it's great stuff.
Boraparts carries a 505.01 from pentosin that I have used along with ZDDP plus but now it's T6 for me from now on with no additives. It's cheaper anyway. But, to each their own.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
505.01 was necessary for warranty purposes...

M1 (scratch that) ROTELLA T6 (sorry, fixed it)
or
M1 TDT
are now the preferred oils for the PD engines if you use the UOAs as the determining factor.

Bill

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My local Walmart carries Valvoline 5w40 505.01 on the shelf- works for me.
Ah, but is it Valvoline or VW that says it meets it? If it is certified by VW, all well and good. But if it is just a marketing claim by Valvoline, then not.

I'll look into the Liqui Moly and Pentosin availability/pricing at my local NAPA, but I suspect I'll end up staying with T6.

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Ah, but is it Valvoline or VW that says it meets it? If it is certified by VW, all well and good. But if it is just a marketing claim by Valvoline, then not.

I'll look into the Liqui Moly and Pentosin availability/pricing at my local NAPA, but I suspect I'll end up staying with T6.
I don't have any statements under oath, but the bottle states 505.01 Approval. It also has MB 229.51 Approval. There seems to be anguish about finding a 5w40 505.01 that is readily available- here you go.
By the same token, they also formulate a 20w50 that states that it meets the requirements of 505.01.
Personally, I blend the 5w40 and 20w50, based on the season- 50/50 during the summer.