BANNED
TDI
NB
the oil caused the failure

AndyH said:
Frank - I appreciate the humor.

What's your serious answer?
Same answer. #2
If it is proven that the oil caused the failure then the warranty is void.
Period. No matter how you slice it.

Assuming you are speaking about Amsoil and a 505.01 failure.

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
Thanks Frank - I thought that might be why you selected that. Do you mind if we step back and not read anything into the question? (I promise this is NOT a smarta.. comment.) It's not about a failure - it's not about any company (other than VW). Cool?

The point of the question is that in option A someone posts a false comment - could be that B50 is allowed by VW warranty, or that using Sylvania headlight bulbs will void the seatbelt warranty, or that engine oil must be purchased from the dealership.

Option B someone straightens out the problem in A (hopefully it's obvious that each of these is false?). And C is just C.

See what I mean? The assumptions we bring in 'pre-loads' us to read the thread and posts a certain way - and add info that's not there. That can automatically make our responses inappropriate to the conversation.

Last edited:

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
AndyH said:
Thanks Frank - I thought that might be why you selected that. Do you mind if we step back and not read anything into the question? (I promise this is NOT a smarta.. comment.) It's not about a failure - it's not about any company (other than VW). Cool?

The point of the question is that in option A someone posts a false comment - could be that B50 is allowed by VW warranty, or that using Sylvania headlight bulbs will void the seatbelt warranty, or that engine oil must be purchased from the dealership.

Option B someone straightens out the problem in A (hopefully it's obvious that each of these is false?). And C is just C.

See what I mean? The assumptions we bring in 'pre-loads' us to read the thread and posts a certain way - and add info that's not there. That can automatically make our responses inappropriate to the conversation.
In the context you have presented it, I agree 100%:)

However I can not agree if the context in which I originally presumed regarding the use of any oil and an oil related failure.

Somehow I pre-loaded it was an oil related warranty denied , because you are in the oil business..:eek:

Last edited:

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
Frank M said:
Somehow I pre-loaded it was an oil related warranty denied , because you are in the oil business..:eek:
Thanks Frank - and this I understand as well. And this is exactly my point.

I appreciate the conversation very much.

Have a great week.
Andy

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Amsoil ATF in my 2000 01M automatic for 6k miles and counting... when is she going to blow? Surely any day now?

Capture1

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Beetle Yellow
milehighassassin said:
Have you had any issues with your PD?
I am almost afraid to answer that because as soon as I say "no problems yet" something will happen. This will be the first time I using Amsoil in the PD. I use Amsoil in my other car, Toyota Camry, so I thought I would put AFL in the PD as well.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
Capture1 said:
I am almost afraid to answer that because as soon as I say "no problems yet" something will happen. This will be the first time I using Amsoil in the PD. I use Amsoil in my other car, Toyota Camry, so I thought I would put AFL in the PD as well.

I trust Amsoil and am switching myself, I was wondering about higher mileage PD's. I know you are not super high, but I have not seen too many high mileage PD's. You are just getting broken in, really.

GTI Guy

I just joined here and read this.
I don't have a TDI as of yet.
Have owned several VW (1.8, 1.8t and 2.0) and GM (V8) cars/SUV's.

On my VW's I use the 0w30 and the Amsoil oil filter every 12.5k or 6 months. On my GM's I use the 0w30 as well and change oil/filter once a year.

The biggest improvement in MPG was with my Denali. Recently attained 13,000 miles and finally changed all diff and trans (including torque converter and oil cooler) fluids.
With the 0w30 and Amsoil oil filter I see 16MPG City/20 HWY. Where as before I was at 14MPG City/18 HWY. My Trans Temp with the Amsoil ATF dropped 30 degrees F, once I flushed the trans/converter/cooler and placed the ATF in. Shifting while towing a load seems smoother as well (maybe it's just me).

Good stuff IMHO!

ILE

Wow

I just logged on to get the opinions of other and it seems apparent that either ego or immaturity prevails among "Veteran Members". To my dismay and probably many others, they always discredit other opinions, when in fact they may learn something by keeping their mouth shut or their fingers off the keyboard.

Nobody tells you how to vote, what car to drive, or where to shop, so what right do you have to sarcastically discredit their opinion.

Just my opinion

ArmHayseed

I don't see it as someone discrediting someone else.;)

I see it as someone correcting the record based on factual data as opposed to allowing the "emotional hyperbole" to taint otherwise civil discourse on a topic we all need to be engaged in. :D

Capture1

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Beetle Yellow
Has anyone that switched from a VW 505.01 approved oil to Amsoil AFL noted any improvement on MPGs in their PD?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I switched to AFL 3K miles ago because I wanted to
upgrade from a gp. 3 to a 4. So far so good. Engine runs smooth and quiet. No loss of oil either. I do mostly city driving with some highway.
As for mpg, there are just too many variables for a true answer. Present heat wave with high humidity, which I understand to hurt economy, not to mention more a/c use. I average about 42 city, and up to 47 combined with highway.
John

NewTooTDI

wjdell said:
Got a whole case of AFL and afraid to use it. I ordered before I read and well, I bought Motul to be safe. Its kinda sucks - I am going to use the Motul to satisfy VW but wish I could use the Amsoil - it contains Boron and from what I have read that would help that cam problem, am I wrong. I put a prelube on and I tested it over and over and it works. I have at min 7 psi before my engine starts to turn, more often about 15 to 20 psi. The pressure is relative to the oil pressure at shutdown, and the time. In August I will let the motor sit for 8 days and then try and see if it still works. Now the VW oil pump is no slouch and I have a gauge on the motor. Before the engine has its first compression ignition the oil psi is above 40 psi. I can tell you that the oil pump on these engines builds pressure fast. I installed the pre lube and even my wife who knows nothing about cars remarked it was quieter at start up. She had no clue that what I installed was relative to noise at start up.

I was hoping in time that Amsoil would submit to a VW test that will approve all, 507 maybe. Motul I THINK has plans for a true synthetic 5w40.
Who builds the prelube unit you are using?

digitaltwitch

TDI
05 Jetta TDI Silver 5-Speed
AmsOil Question - amsoil runners only!

If you relpy to this with stuff telling me not to run amsoil you can take what you run and lube your.... your gona need it so my boot doesnt get stuck!

So my question....Would it be better to run Amsoil 5W-40 Ero Oil or SAE30 Diesel Oil. I run SAE30 in my truck. but im unsure about my it in my car?

Sorry for not listing the car info..... 05' 1.9L PD, 42K miles

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I can help you indirectly, Army.:)
Read my sig, edit your post so folks don't have to look up your profile
for car model info (credit given for at least having it in your profile!!).
Then contact member AndyH, he can help w/amsoil questions.:D

Don't ruin your spitshine.:D
Thanks for your service!

Bill

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
digitaltwitch said:
If you relpy to this with stuff telling me not to run amsoil you can take what you run and lube your.... your gona need it so my boot doesnt get stuck!

So my question....Would it be better to run Amsoil 5W-40 Ero Oil or SAE30 Diesel Oil. I run SAE30 in my truck. but im unsure about my it in my car?
The multiweight would be better for the TDI, especially if you have a PD engine.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Capture1 said:
Has anyone that switched from a VW 505.01 approved oil to Amsoil AFL noted any improvement on MPGs in their PD?
I switched from Castrol TXT to the Amsoil at 15K miles. I'm now up to almost 21K on Amsoil. No noticeable improvement in MPG. I did achieve my first 700+ mile per tank with Amsoil but I also drove the speed limit to help get that. With oil change as the only mod, I say no it won't net you any more MPG.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The 5w40 will outflow the W30 in every respect and most importantly during a cold start or (winter or SUMMER). The key advantage is the 5w40 will protect better in the hotter temperatures while still giving you superior arctic cold flow properties.

You should NEVER run any straightweigh oil in any modern engine, PERIOD.

The Amsoil 5w40 is a great oil, if anything I'd suggest running it in all your vehicles.

The only time a straight weight should be used is in applications like power generation where the engine is never shutdown and runs non-stop for several thousand hours between major servicing intervals...Even in these applications oil changes are done without shutting the unit down by utilizing dual oil sumps. Even in these applications care is taken to keep the oils at optimum temperatures to maximize oil life and performance of the additives.

DB

Last edited:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
What is such a problem with running a straightweight oil?
I was going to run the oil in question in my ALH. Its a 10w30 oil, but since it never gets below 10F here where I am, and rarely below freezing, I don't need "superior arctic flow properties."

The 10w30 oil looks to have heavier additives than the 505.01 AMSOIL oil, as well as being cheaper and a lower weight.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
With a PD engine your choice is simple. AFL 5W-40 is the only product Amsoil recommends for the PD engine.

CI-4+ means little for a TDI since we will not see anything near 6% soot in our engines. I managed to get mine up to 1.15% in 14,508 miles. Perhaps attributed to my WOT acceleration style of driving.

If Amsoil thought ACD was applicable to 505.01 service they would have placed it on the bottle. Instead they reformulated AFL to meet the 505.01 standard. AFL 5W-40 is the only oil Amsoil presently labels for use in any TDI.

Don't know what truck you are running. DBW is correct in ,that even though ACD is a 10W-30 oil which meets 30W standards, a 5W-40 will in most cases give far better service. Of course the AFL is more expensive.

One look into my shed is proof of what a PITA a mix of motor oils can be.
If you want to standardize you will, by default, have to go with the highest standard then apply downward.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
Fortuna Wolf said:
What is such a problem with running a straightweight oil?
I was going to run the oil in question in my ALH. Its a 10w30 oil, but since it never gets below 10F here where I am, and rarely below freezing, I don't need "superior arctic flow properties."

The 10w30 oil looks to have heavier additives than the 505.01 AMSOIL oil, as well as being cheaper and a lower weight.
I'm no expert but I can echo Amsoils product recommendations. AFL is the oil they have dedicated to use in a TDI. I've never seen a UOA with totally depleted TBN in a TDI. Calcium is not a super lubricant so more of it when not needed is not necessarily a great thing. AFL has some very expensive additives.

You do need the fast flow at start up of a 5W-X oil. VW says you do. Your turbo and splash lubricated parts will thank you for it. Remember 80% of your engine wear may occur during the first few seconds after start up.

Side note:
Big trucks spend a lot of time at idle. I used to drive about 12 hours per day and idle the other 12. Sometimes I'd drive 150 hours per week. That cuts into the idle time. Perhaps if we hooked a three thousand pound trailer onto our TDIs and slept in truck stops with the engine idling we could utilize a CI-4+ oil?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Yes if you want one oil use the AFL - I use the 30 which is really a 10W30 in my generator and my Kubota as they both call for 10W30 and I leave in for a long time - so the 12 TBN is good for them - I am considering using the AFL in my 06 TDI eventually - but the chicken in me bought Motul for now. As a matter of fact my new Lombardina shows the 505.01 spec oil as a acceptable oil. I live in central Florida and there is no cold flow problem. In the Lombardini manual says 40W preferred oil for my climate it also shows different OCI's for straight mineral - synthectic blend - pure synthetic. Very complete manual.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Frank M said:
There is an Amsoil salesman that once said "because he lives in Texas, he uses a thick oil"

Based on that, the SAE30 would be the right Amsoil choice.
I would disregard this comment. 5w40 is formulated for the PD so use it. The SAE 30 is a HD oil and your PD is not a heavy duty engine.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
dhdenny:
Let us try not to feed the Trolls.

I know it's embarrassing. I've been taken in on several occasions myself. And not just on this forum. I've actually handed over money to strangers which were panhandling! Been about thirty years since I was that naive but it still to this day frustrates me that I was ever that blankminded!

cjmorrell

Amsoil

The AMSOIL 5W-40 for European Engines meets the requirements to use in the TDI. As a pure synthetic PAO based oil it cannot be beat!!!!

AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil

- Specially formulated for the lubrication needs of European gasoline and diesel cars and light trucks.

- Advanced AMSOIL polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stocks, premium additives and a broad 5W-40 viscosity rating.

- Allows the maximum extended drain intervals recommended by European automakers.

- Provides second-to-none protection and performance in the most demanding operating conditions.

- Surpasses the North American SAE and European ACEA oil specifications for high temperature/high shear (HTHS) viscosity.

- Does not shear back in the high temperature/high shear conditions of today's smaller, high RPM automobile engines.

- High quality anti-wear additives provide superior engine performance.

- Resists effects of heat, blowby chemicals and oxidation.

- Won't vaporize (burn off) in the high temperatures that vaporize conventional motor oils for consistent high temperature protection, improved fuel economy and reduced oil consumption and emissions.

- Provides cold temperature fluidity to -59 degrees F (-51 degrees C) for easy engine cranking, fast starts and immediate start-up protection.

- Rust and corrosion inhibitors protect iron parts, as well as copper, lead and aluminum bearing materials.

- Recommended for European gasoline and diesel vehicles, including but not limited to Saab, Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, Land Rover, Opel, Mini Cooper, BMW, Peugeot and Porsche.

- Meets or exceeds the following specifications for domestic and foreign gasoline engines: API SL, CI-4, CF - ACEA A3, B3, B4 - BMW LL-01/98 - DaimlerChrysler 229.1, 229.3, 229.5 - Opel Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025 - Opel Diesel Service ill GM-LL-B-025 - Porsche - Volvo - SAAB - Volkswagen 501.01, 502.00, 503.00, 505.00, 506.00

Cliff
Twin-City-Synthetics.com

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
cjmorrell said:
The AMSOIL 5W-40 for European Engines meets the requirements to use in the TDI. As a pure synthetic PAO based oil it cannot be beat!!!!

Cliff
Twin-City-Synthetics.com
Cliff, can that be substantiated with a VW certificate?

I do not see that on the bottle like Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 0w-40 and others.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Even Amsoil would not rec their 30 10W30 for our PD's that does not mean it would not be a godd oil - they just rec the AFL -- 40

which in my Lombardini I saw a straight 40W pure synthetic so that must mean that they have a 40 in europe. Its for when your temp exceeds 35 C 95 F. Which I have here during canes season. They show 5W40 as only good to 35 C just like the 30.