Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
jombl - I have yet to make a penny - much less a buck - from this forum. I share what I've learned as a way to give back to the group that I first learned about oil analysis from, and learned how to inspect, purchase, and maintain my two B4s. I'm a registered vendor because the rules of the forum require that I register. The down side is that I apparently lose the ability to be a 'private person' with info to share.

The video clips came from a biography of AMSOIL's founder that was presented to the boss during AU'06 the end of May. The folks interviewed on the video were seated around the 'head table' at the premier. The group included former USAF commanders (1 and 2-star generals and medal of honor winners), Bobby Unser, folks from Battenfield Grease and Mobil Chemical, company chemists from the late 60s and early 70s, family, and long time friends. None of them were paid to appear on the video or at the ceremony for AJ.

The experimental/amateur built numbers shift once the homebuilt is thru it's 40-hour test period. I expect the numbers you quoted are 'gross' numbers - with which I don't disagree. During the test period, no passengers are carried, and flight ops are restricted to unpopulated areas within a radius of a designated test airfield, so falling on a house isn't an issue if one discovers a fuel system error in flight.

One thing that I've been trying to do is 'correct' assumptions and/or disinformation. I'm not going to change your mind, jombl, but I don't think it's fair to the rest of the membership to let 'garbage info' contaminate our 'corporate knowledge'. That's the line I'm trying to walk. The folks that need to be here teaching us are people like TooSlick, GeorgeESQ, and others. The impression I get is that they stay away - and the club is poorer - because of the attacks, FUD, and circular arguements. What are we doing to ourselves when we act this way? (And yes, I'm painting myself with this brush as well - there are no 1-sided fights.)

P1 - with respect - you don't think that "Why will Amsoil jeopordize the warranty...and if you are not approved, warranty will be voided." is irresponsible and confrontational? Especially for an unregistered vendor?

WNY PAT suggests (in a very nice way - thank you!) that AU is simply about motivation. We did have cook-outs in the evenings, had the movie premier, and the evening with the corporate-sponsored race teams, but the classes are 8-4 and 'firehose' style (try to catch everything coming your way). Thanks for the compliment, Pat. I've sampled books and classes from Noria, Lubrizol's K2M program, stuff from the SAE and other orgs -- AU beats them all in tailored content and 'bang for the buck' - which I like a lot.

Here's the table of contents from my 4" thick binder. This doesn't include the CDs and DVDs from the IRS, Infineum, and other coursework. It also doesn't include the 'extra' case studies and cost analysis info that fills another 2" binder.

Lurker_Mike - professional quality signs are available, and sold at or below cost - there's no commission or profit on these items for either the dealer or Corporate. I provide them to my retail stores. Retail stores can purchase them as well. https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/lit/g1744.pdf (Page 4 has shelving, pages 5 and 6 have signs, banners, and flags.) In addition, AMSOIL has a couple of co-op programs where folks can significant discounts on lit and signs - 33%, 50%, and free.

Andy

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
P1Performance said:
""""Sootch, it was the MOTUL guy who first mentioned Amsoil, not Andy. If this forum had reps from the other brands listed I would expect them to get involved too. I did not find Andy's response unreasonable."""""

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let start by saying that i did not have anything negative to say about Amsoil. All i stated was: Why is Amsoil stating they are an approved VW 505.01 oil, when they are not approved. Also, if they are willing to stand behind its product. Andy answered it and thats it.
My intention was not to infer that you did say anything negative about Amsoil, only that the word "Amsoil" came up first in your post. I understood that you mentioned it just as another brand of oil (which is all that it is). I apologize if my comments read as if something negative was implied.

P1Performance said:
""""jombl, I do not have a problem with your facts. I have a HUGE problem with your attitude. Attacks, insults, and slander will not be tolerated. I don't care how much you think you are right, there is no excuse for an attack or calling someone a liar, twice. Andy is not a liar, his version of the facts simply do not agree with your version of the facts. Liar means intentional deceit, this is not the case. Figure out a more diplomatic way to make you point because next time will involve time-outs. You have been told.""""

Jombl was just correcting AndyH. If AndyH can correct me with info that can be easily misinterpreted by a reader, then why can't Jombl correct AndyH or make it clearer for everyone. As for attack or just thinking you are smarter than most people on this forum. I didn't mean to write "there" instead of "their", but AndyH felt compelled to correct me. I can only wish to be an english professor.
Again, my complaint with Jombl is his "style" of posting. I have no arguement with people debating what the facts are. I do agree that correcting grammer is petty.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Frank M said:
The pics are of Amsoil Dealers. Nothing wrong with that.
Thousands of people drive by those establishments every day and see those signs.

If you, as an Amsoil dealer are offended by them, then think about the motorist driving by those establishments everyday. Wouldn't they think some one is crazy to buy that Amsoil from them...
And since this is an Internet site, the photo and your argument for posting it has no relevance here. Now, if some Amsoil rep used that pic as an avatar, I could give your argument some credence.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
AndyH said:
The folks that need to be here teaching us are people like TooSlick, GeorgeESQ, and others. The impression I get is that they stay away - and the club is poorer - because of the attacks, FUD, and circular arguments. What are we doing to ourselves when we act this way? (And yes, I'm painting myself with this brush as well - there are no 1-sided fights.)
And this sums up best so far why I forced a moratorium on posting about Amsoil. Who would waste time with TDIClub after reading some of the Amsoil threads? We are our own worst enemies. We can do much better.

ArmHayseed

How many TDI owners have been refused warranty on account of the subject being discussed, regardless of the manufacturer?

I respect the fact that someone has such a strong desire to ward off the possibility (even one as remote as this one) of someone else's future financial distress based upon their own personal choices, I really do. It's admirable.

But it's also overkill.

It still falls upon the consumer to make the right choices.

I don't see the words "Certified by VWA" in this snippet from the websitehttps://www.amsoil.com/storefront/afl.aspx of the oil company being discussed:

It is the only oil in North America to be recommended for the latest specifications of all three major European automakers - Volkswagen (Audi), BMW and Mercedes-Benz and the latest North American API specifications.
It is being recommended by the manufacturer. They would not lay their reputation on the line in order to sell a relatively modest amount of oil as it compares to overall sales.

hank miller

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
fixer said:
When someone (a vendor) has a financial interest in his 'version of the facts' and someone else has no financial interest in their 'version of the facts' it should be obvious who has no credibility and who does.
NO it should not!

Financial interest is a clue, but that is all you can say about it. Some people with a financial interest are perfectly honest anyway. Most people without a financial interest have no clue.

The only person you can credit is someone who shows they are qualified to talk about the subject. That means that they have done research (which could mean they read research papers and summarized them, so long as they cite their sources). Almost nobody is willing to go through this much effort unless there is something financial involved. I'm willing to read some research, but not the volumes required to become an expert unless I'm paid.

There is the rare soul who likes to read papers (or do their own lab research) who can be trusted.

Oil is an important part of cars, so most people with a car would be financially advantaged to research their oils, but this isn't enough to pay for the effort involved.

Can you trust can you trust Amsoil's engineers? Most likely, they should know what they are talking about to do their job. Most engineers are honest - honest enough that most companies filter everything engineering says though marketing first. (Note, there are dishonest engineers, so you still need to be careful)

Can you trust Amsoil's marketing? I wouldn't trust any marketing. (Amsoil has excellent marketing. Low budget, but getting many tiny dealers scattered around the country is an excellent marketing tactic) The question is how much of the truth do their let out.

Can you trust Amsoil's dealers? Some you can, most you cannot - not that most will lie deliberately, but that most just do not know enough engineering themselves to understand what Amsoil is saying, and so they will misrepresent it accidentally ( but as always some will lie intentionally).

P.S. university professors have a financial interest as well, but they are (or should be...) paid for telling the truth with no additional benefit for giving an advantage to any side of a question. When you combine this with the fact that they are engineers (generally of the best class) unfiltered by marketing, and they have earned their reputation. However they still have a financial interest.

Remember, when you see someone without a financial interest talking about something you should ask why they bother. There can often be very enlightening answers there - if you can find them.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
ArmHayseed said:
I don't see the words "Certified by VWA" in this snippet from the website of the oil company being discussed:

It is being recommended by the manufacturer.
It is impossible for the consumer to make an informed choice when people who stand to gain financially make the following statements:

The wording is VERY important because in this country, requiring the spec runs against Mag-Moss. Double check the words used by the reps from the API in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...19&postcount=1 "...look for oils claiming they meet VW recommendations..." and "In the USA it is generally not possible to require the use of a specific engine oil..."
I tend to agree with the following post from a person who did not have a financial incentive to cloud the VW 505.01 issue:

VW violates Magnuson Moss with PD oil requirements
I read the article this morning (about) the complaint filed by the Automotive Oil Change Association. The folks that should be in the 'cross-hairs' of a protest is the association for wasting the FTC's time with this complaint. This just proves that the Association didn't take the time to understand what VW was doing, and doesn't suggest that their legal department really understands the MM Act.
Too many lawyers, too many associations, and not enough common sense. Sigh.
Here's the best part. They're both from AndyH. The first one was after he began to stock, sell and market an oil Amsoil put out as 505.01 "recommended" . The second one was from 2004 before Amsoil had thought to slap a '505.01' sticker on their oil cans without the bother of actually going through the testing and approval process.

It's perfectly all right to show the strengths of the oil in testing and claim, based on concrete evidence, that the oil will not damage a PD motor. It is not all right to intentionally mislead and make stuff up on the fly to further ones own interests at someone elses expense through the cynical use of doubt and misdirection.

I am not qualified to interpet or debate oil on it's technical merits, but I can say that nothing I've read from the poster outside of the scientific arena has withstood even the most minor of scrutiny or reason.

Last edited:

fixer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5/Jetta/5M/Reflex Silver
hank miller said:
Financial interest is a clue, but that is all you can say about it.
I strongly disagree. I would say it's more than a clue, more like a blaring siren and flashing strobe light. I do not make purchasing decisions based on what the salesman of that item tells me about it. In my opinion his statements have no value.

ArmHayseed

It's all quite simple.

VW supplies a book with every car they sell.

It states clearly what oil to use.

If the book is no longer available, the dealerships all have telephones. They also have front doors which you pass through to gain access to their staff of people inside. Those people share information about their products (cars) freely with consumers.

Oil changes are offered there, for a fee, or, you can make the choice to go elsewhere to either have the oil changed for you, again, for a fee, or you can purchase the proper lubricants to do it yourself, if you are technically inclined enough to do so.

The consumer has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING which will prevent a perfectly informed decision, regardless of what XYZ oil company website, or ABC service center does (or does not) tell them.

If a consumer is unable to get the information needed to keep his/her warranty intact, then that consumer just didn't make the attempt.

How, pray tell, is that the fault of XYZ oil company?

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
VW supplies a book with every car they sell.

It states clearly what oil to use.
Unfortunately, many of the books sold with the 2004 & 2005 cars were wrong. As were the stickers in the engine compartment.

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I have read this thread and am a little confused. AMSOil does have a product that is certified 505.01.

It is:
European Car Formula
Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil
(AFL)

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/afl.aspx

When this oil was first introduced it did not have this certification. Recently, I do not remember the date, this changed.

I have been an AMSOil user since 1976. I have logged over 700,000 miles on various AMSOil engine oils, mostly the 10w-40 full synthetic. I have used the synthetic gear lube in all these vehicles and the automatic transmission fluid in one. I have had nothing but superb performance from all these. I know there are horror stories about AMSOil use. All with which I am personally acquainted, the problems could have been equally caused by something else.

One engine I changed the oil every 12,000 miles and at 200,000 I did have to change the timing chain. The engine still had good compression when I totaled the car about a year later.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bill

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
wmahaffey said:
I have logged over 700,000 miles on various AMSOil engine oils, mostly the 10w-40 full synthetic. I have used the synthetic gear lube in all these vehicles and the automatic transmission fluid in one. I have had nothing but superb performance from all these. I know there are horror stories about AMSOil use. All with which I am personally acquainted, the problems could have been equally caused by something else.

One engine I changed the oil every 12,000 miles and at 200,000 I did have to change the timing chain. The engine still had good compression when I totaled the car about a year later.
I have looged over 2 million miles and never used Amsoil or had an oil related failure.
Many engines had well over 200,000 miles and the timing chains were fine. All this of regular dino oil..

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Frank,

I apologize, I did not intend to add to the AMSOil debate. I am new to the forums and did not know the history in this forum about AMSOil. I am just trying to add information to the pool and it seemed that no one was aware of the 505.01 certification of AMSOil AFL. I just though it was good to know since it is less expensive than the oil at the VW Dealer.

Everyone, Have a wonderful day.

Bill

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
wmahaffey said:
I have read this thread and am a little confused. AMSOil does have a product that is certified 505.01.

It is:
European Car Formula
Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (AFL)

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/afl.aspx

When this oil was first introduced it did not have this certification. Recently, I do not remember the date, this changed.

Your post illustrates the ongoing conflict perfectly.

Regardless of what Amsoil states, it is not on the VW list of PD approved oils and has not submitted any oil to VW for PD certification. To the Amsoil critics this is deceit, lies, misinformation, evil, etc, and brings in the issues of whose warranty covers an engine failure etc. Anyone who promotes Amsoil in a PD engine is thus labeled liar under a guilt by association mentality and is attacked as fair game under the anti-Amsoil pack mentality. To the pro-Amsoil camp, it's a matter of, "So what, I'm using it anyway. So go pound sand."

We have two sides who have no interest in finding a middle ground. Some extremists will break every forum rule and risk being banned to prove their point. Thus the endless dead-end redundant debates on Amsoil and my attempt to reach a concensus on how to handle Amsoil threads.

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Brian,

Folks are a little too quick to read into these posts what they want to see, not what is intended. I apoligize for the way I worded my post and to anyone who is, has been or will be offended by anything I say or have said here.

I have just discovered that you are correct about AMSOil 5w-40 AFL not being certified by VW as 505.01. However, there is another side to the story. I understand that VW requires a lubricant manufacturer to pay to have their lubricants VW certified, AMSOil has not done this. AMSOil has engineered their AFL oil to meet or exceed all the requirements of the VW 505.01 specification. My 30 years of experience with AMSOil products is that they usually far exceed the specifications. I would be surprised if that is not the case here.

Again, I apologize to all the players. I am very excited about becoming a member of the TDI club and was just trying to help out a fellow member.

Everyone, please have a wonderful and blessed day.

Bill

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
wmahaffey said:
I have just discovered that you are correct about AMSOil 5w-40 AFL not being certified by VW as 505.01. However, there is another side to the story. I understand that VW requires a lubricant manufacturer to pay to have their lubricants VW certified, AMSOil has not done this. AMSOil has engineered their AFL oil to meet or exceed all the requirements of the VW 505.01 specification. My 30 years of experience with AMSOil products is that they usually far exceed the specifications. I would be surprised if that is not the case here.
LOL, you have nothing to apologize for. Your only mistake was trying to help those who do not want any help and will tear someone down for trying.

Again, you have provided the perfect example of how the debate goes to the next level. This is exactly how the Amsoil witch-hunts work here. Without VW or API approval there is no way to actually know if any of Amsoil's claims are valid, so... we then go to the next round of personal attacks, FUD Tactics, etc.

Amsoil's reasons for which specification it decides to specify for are its own, it doesn't matter. The guys who sell and use it have no control over that but are vilified anyway. The Amsoil loyalists simple do as you do, and just keep using it, so there! Your 30 years of experience mean nothing as that is just a testimonial and anecdotal infomercial material at best. Someone will simply counter that they too have 30 years experience with some other brand of oil, and so it goes on.

There is never any end or resolution, the debate perpetuates into eternity.

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
BKmetz said:
[/size]

Your post illustrates the ongoing conflict perfectly.

Regardless of what Amsoil states, it is not on the VW list of PD approved oils and has not submitted any oil to VW for PD certification. To the Amsoil critics this is deceit, lies, misinformation, evil, etc, and brings in the issues of whose warranty covers an engine failure etc. Anyone who promotes Amsoil in a PD engine is thus labeled liar under a guilt by association mentality and is attacked as fair game under the anti-Amsoil pack mentality. To the pro-Amsoil camp, it's a matter of, "So what, I'm using it anyway. So go pound sand."

We have two sides who have no interest in finding a middle ground. Some extremists will break every forum rule and risk being banned to prove their point. Thus the endless dead-end redundant debates on Amsoil and my attempt to reach a concensus on how to handle Amsoil threads.
Brian,

I don't think this is even all of the issue. Many of the threads that have deteriorated into the polar-opposite issue you've outlined didn't begin as attack threads, and most didn't begin as AMSOIL threads! They were hijacked and then took on a life of their own. I think that, if we're looking to identify which link of the chain broke, it's about hijack, not a specific oil company. So maybe the real quest should be adult-behavior rules?

One of the areas I've tried to work with here - from as completely a vendor-neutral position as possible - is warranty. The FUD minority shouted that if the oil used wasn't on the list, the warranty is automatically gone. This is one of the reasons for the recent looks at MagMoss and the aftermarket laws in the US - which offer significantly more options for the US consumer than our Euro bros/sisters have. Regardless of OEM requirements, oil companies are on the hook for their products and are the guys that write the check when the oil fails. So - from a strictly aftermarket view, the bottom line is still product performance - just as it is for pistons or camshafts. Contrary to the screams of the FUD minority - these discussions were warranty-centric, not oil-centric. Some of the happenings in these threads that lead me to believe that the membership still isn't clear on this - and is therefore are in a position to be controlled by a dealership and not in control of their consumer rights - are arguments like 'engine warranty will be void for the wrong oil the same way the warranty is void for biodiesel use' (one of these is covered by a VW position statement, the other is not).

Personal attacks are even happening in THIS thread! This is an area I'd like to see some 'teeth' in the moderation process.

I learned a GREAT deal from the last few month's threads (as I did from the 'discussions' of the late '90s) - and we as a group learned some things about the 505.01 spec that we didn't realize earlier in the year - so there has been some value! I just wish there wasn't so much garbage to wade thru to get the good info.

It would be far nicer if we could find a way to 'work together' in a Napoleon Hill 'mastermind' type of structure -- where two or more people come together in a spirit of harmony to achieve a common goal. People not in harmony need not apply.

SO -- in the interest of continuing to advance the community's 'corporate knowledge', I'd like to propose the use of a key-word in thread titles. Threads having 'mastermind' in the title are for the express purpose of solving an issue. Any of the rules violations mentioned in the first post of this thread will (not can) result in deleting the post from the thread - two deletions max - the third 'strike' is a temporary ban from the forum.

Thoughts?
Andy

Last edited:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Personally speaking, I find internet fights very entertaining... maybe it's just me, but I really enjoy observing "heated" arguments on most any subject... :D :D :D

What is so wrong with "laissez-faire" moderation? :confused:

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
LurkerMike said:
What is so wrong with "laissez-faire" moderation? :confused:
Where do I start?

I have been here since day one. In that time I have witnessed hundreds of "light" disagreements that escalated into outright hate and harassment that went outside the forums. Phone calls to employers to report Internet abuse, member's email being put on porn spam lists, viruses, etc. I have seen reasonable people and good friends become bitter enemies. Over what? Ego, arrogance, win-at-any-cost attitude, even threats to try to shut down the whole club. Because someone can not agree to disagree and move on, to always try to get the last word in. Then there are the PMs and emails from people trying to lobby me to ban this and that guy for whatever. Under my watch I will do everything I can to prevent chaos from dragging the club down, again...

We can disagree without things digressing into a blood sport. We are suppose to all be adults here, we could even try acting like it.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
We are suppose to all be adults here, we could even try acting like it.
Odly, there are a few here that are not "legally" adults, yet they seem to not get into the cat fights. It's us older, stupider folks...

richh

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
LurkerMike said:
I'm an Amsoil consumer because it has been proven to me to be consistently "one" of the best products available. I buy from a coworker so it is convenient.

I got on the Amsoil kick because of their ATF many years ago. I was using Mobil1 ATF and I wasn't happy with the clear almost undyed property and the fact that it was always "thin" on the dipstick when checking the fluid level hot. Heck, I couldn't even read the stick in the bright sun. Still, fully synthetic Mobil1 ATF was far better than conventional dino ATF's.

I tried the Amsoil blood red fully synthetic ATF that has much more apparent "body" to it on the stick and I was instantly hooked! I have never seen another ATF that even comes close.

Switching to Amsoil engine oils was a natural progression after that.

Now I think I will stick with Amsoil ATF in my Jetta trans and Elf 506.01 in the crankcase... at least until Amsoil comes out with a 506.01 "recommended" oil... I don't care about the "official certification" from Amsoil, if they recommend it for a given spec, I'm good.

I drink Coke, not Pepsi. I wear briefs, not boxers. I ride a hybrid bicycle, not a road bike. I eat chicken and turkey, NEVER beef (until EVERY cow is tested for mad cow). I drink hormone free rice and soy milk, NEVER dairy milk made from cows on the "juice". I think tobacco should be made illegal and medical marijuana legalized. I believe Afghanistan and Iraq were our destiny. But if you go to war, you kill the enemy without mercy, the way they fight us. Falluga should have been MOAB'ed off the map on Day 1 of the war followed by every town were "heavy" resistance was encountered. Short of these terms, I wouldn't have "gone in" if it were my decision to make.

The last time I checked it was a free country and I have the "right" to these opinions. But of all of them, my Amsoil preference seems to be the most controversial? :rolleyes: :D :D :D
Well I just spent WAY to much time reading all this " oil wars" post and felt as though I had some how earn the right to put in my 2 cents worth!
LurkerMike, don't know ya but I like the way ya think;)
I have used the A oil for maybe 10 yr. now and just bought some of the new fangl EU oil from them, just changed the oil in sti last night, runs fine even though I put in 5W-40 insted of the recomed 5W-30, but I got it to cut down on the oil invantory.Every one wants you to use their oil! enough! Im putting the EU stuff in the subaru and the VW and the HD 15W/40 Diesel/marine stuff in the tractor (L4610 kubota) and the 7.3 PS ( ford )and thats it.:D

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
BKmetz said:
Where do I start?

I have been here since day one. In that time I have witnessed hundreds of "light" disagreements that escalated into outright hate and harassment that went outside the forums. Phone calls to employers to report Internet abuse, member's email being put on porn spam lists, viruses, etc. I have seen reasonable people and good friends become bitter enemies. Over what? Ego, arrogance, win-at-any-cost attitude, even threats to try to shut down the whole club. Because someone can not agree to disagree and move on, to always try to get the last word in. Then there are the PMs and emails from people trying to lobby me to ban this and that guy for whatever. Under my watch I will do everything I can to prevent chaos from dragging the club down, again...

We can disagree without things digressing into a blood sport. We are suppose to all be adults here, we could even try acting like it.
DAHum!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I would never have guessed that there were some VW TDI owners with serious mental issues! I mean I had a white-supremacist threaten to kill me once several years ago, but it wasn't like a surprise or anything out of character for and idiot like that. But VW TDI owners ready to rumble? :rolleyes:

Even Andy Kaufman type humor (my favorite :D) never crosses the line into those kinds of very personal attacks.

The internet is one big stage. Nothing more and nothing less. We are all bit part actors and comedians, preachers and pundits. No one on the internet is a "real" person... all internet entities like me and you are just tiny fractions of real people, parts of which may be exaggerated or even made up and other parts omitted entirely.

Getting so mad at someone that you take a real fight off the internet is about as dumb as pulling a real pistol in a movie theater and shooting the "bad guy". Or worse yet, going to a stage play and beating up an actor because you don't like the character he is playing... :rolleyes:

Forum arguments for the sake of arguing are great fun to read for me! But I like to watch TV Wrestling and US Politics... yes, I know they are "rigged" but they put on a good show! Just like when the Romans threw the Christians to the lions, predictably you knew the lions would always win because the lions were relatively rare and hard to replace. Christians sentenced to death were an endless supply... simple math really, but it was about the SPECTACLE, not who won and who lost... :rolleyes:

But yea, if even a few people that post here are so stupid as to become emotionally involved in an forum argument as to escalate it beyond some simple name calling and derogatory comments, well that kinda ruins all the fun for people like me... :(

Thanks for taking the time to 'splain it to me! :)

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
It's simply a "sign of the times" that we are living in. I mean for example, my dad was a certified GUN NUT. We had guns coming out of our ears. For my 6th and 7th birthday I got a gun for each one!!! We spent most every weekend target practicing, skeet shooting, hunting, etc...

Despite all that, I never even once thought of running home from school after getting picked on, etc... to get a gun and go shoot someone. My dad would slap me cross-eyed if I even pointed a gun at one of my brothers while it was completely broken down and was cleaning it. I didn't have to worry about what the police would do to me, I KNEW what my mom and dad would do to me! lol I guess having proper parental discipline at an early age teaches you respect for your fellow man. Something that is sadly lacking today.

BryanP

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Amsoil

I have used Amsoil for more then 10 years now. I both gas and diesel motors. I have a Suzuki DL-1000 that runs best on Amsoil, and when my new TDI needs it first oil change I will use Amsoil also.
I had a Dodge truck with a cummins in it, ran Amsoil for more then 120000 Km. it work great.
just my two$

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
BryanP said:
I have used Amsoil for more then 10 years now. I both gas and diesel motors. I have a Suzuki DL-1000 that runs best on Amsoil, and when my new TDI needs it first oil change I will use Amsoil also.
I had a Dodge truck with a cummins in it, ran Amsoil for more then 120000 Km. it work great.
just my two$
Informercial style testimonials have no place in this thread, or any oil thread for that matter. Posts of this type only attract detractors that will post that they have used other brands of oil longer with better results. Nothing can be quantified so nothing is ever resolved.

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I certianly hope this does to touch off another AMSOil Debate. I post it as information for the TDI owners who use AMSOil. I am glad to have this information and hope they also will.

Please take this as additional information.

Have a wonderful day,

Bill

This is a reply to me from AMSOil Tech Services:

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, there is a slight difference in wording that has clouded this issue. AMSOIL AFL, 5W40is “formulated to surpass --- specifications” (as listed, which includes VW 505.01, the TDI specification). Asking VW to “certify” it would severely restrict our ability to improve the oil with newer technology. We prefer to maintain our independence and provide better, newer products.

Be assured that AMSOIL does stand behind the AFL’s use in VW TDI’s with our product warranty, so you are very well protected.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Byron Selbrede
AMSOIL Technical Service

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
runs best on Amsoil

BryanP said:
I have used Amsoil for more then 10 years now. I both gas and diesel motors. I have a Suzuki DL-1000 that runs best on Amsoil,
What does the Suzuki run like when you use a different oil?

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
BKmetz said:
Amsoil has not submitted its oil for VW approval
Brian,

That is what the AMSOil reply stated. I had not seen that posted anywhere as a reply from AMSOil. I just wanted the communtiy to see what AMSOil said about the issue.

I do not understand why we cannot take the information given us an decide for ourselves what is best for us individually. I fear that a response like this from you tends to inflame the situation not help it.

Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers. That was not and never is my intention.

Have a wonderful day,

Bill

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
wmahaffey said:
I do not understand why we cannot take the information given us an decide for ourselves what is best for us individually. I fear that a response like this from you tends to inflame the situation not help it.
You have summed up the dilemma nicely. I was trying to illustrate that no matter how hard one tries to resolve an issue, good intentions can always be derailed. Amsoil debates have evolved into perpetual blood sport here. I remember a time when things were not like this.

I'm also trying to get people to use the search function to read old Amsoil threads and avoid starting new redundant threads. The old timers here can quickly call up hundreds of threads and thousands of posts and cherry pick what they want to prove whatever point they wish to make. A newbie will be quickly eaten alive without doing some research.