Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

ProfBooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, red
OK, new one....
Custer, SD in the heart of the beautiful Black Hills. I pull into a busy Exxon station, all the gas pumps have a line waiting to use them. I snicker as I pull around to the side where the vacant diesel pump is and begin the familiar insert additive, start filling, check-oil-and-wash-windshield-while-tank-is-filling ritual. Not too long before one of the attendants that's smoking in front of the station comes over and says, "I hope that car's diesel". I was expecting this since I had out-of-state plates so he probably figured I was some dumb tourist. Too tired from hiking to feel much like playing with him I respond, "yep, it is" and he goes back about his business. All this time, there's been a car of high school kids up by the front of the station that had glanced over a few times probably giggling amongst themselves at this particular 'dumb tourist'. Just as I'm doing the venting thing, they leave and as they turn onto the highway, I hear one of them shout, "you dumb $hit, you filled up with diesel!". Also expecting something like this I shouted back, "it IS a diesel, blow me!!" I don't think they heard me but all the people at the pumps filling their SUV's with gas certainly did and gave me the cows-in-the-pasture stare. It was pretty amusing. The attendant overheard all this and got a good laugh out of it. He said they were locals and would probably be back to laugh at me and he'd point out the error of their ways.

As a side note, the reason I was in the Black Hills was for a Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4 event. There was a couple there that had found a way to import mid-80's Land Cruiser BJ70's with the 3.4L naturally aspirated diesel from Canada. Toyota has never sold a diesel engine equipped vehicle in the US but does to most of the rest of the world. I must say this 15-year-old engine (direct injected) was almost as quiet as our TDI's both at idle and highway speeds. It had something like 350,000km on it and was ready for 350,000 more. If only Toyota would sell a TDI Camry in the US, I could die a happy man!

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
ProfBooty, you must be a little on the young side, because in the late 70's and early 80's Toyota DID sell diesel trucks in the us. I drove one at the local Toyota dealer. I didn't buy it because it didn't have the leg room the Datsun trucks had. Tried to buy Datsun diesel but dealer said they wern't importing them to US.

Anyway a friend bought the Toyota diesel truck (81 model) and drove it till his youngest was hit at intersection by drunk running a red light in 96. Thank God the kid only had very minor injuries. The truck had 450K on it, I laughed and ask if insurance company totaled truck. They ended up with drunk buying the kid a new 4X4 Toyota truck and paying for a large part of his college education.

[ July 28, 2002, 03:18: Message edited by: Old Navy ]

ProfBooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, red
Right, I didn't word that correctly, I believe it's the Land Cruisers with the diesel that weren't ever sold in the US., but pickups were. Still a huge rarity though, especially in salt states like mine. You're hard-pressed to find a MN Toyota earlier than '90 (even my '91 4Runner is rotting considerably) without massive rust unless they've been brought here from a state like AZ or CO.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Originally posted by BRBarian:
Originally posted by JettaWagonTDI1:
Oto:

You mean "left"-wing enviromentalist wackos. They are the ones to worry about. Environmentalists are leftists socialites.

ALGORE IS A RISKY SCHEME.

DEFEAT LIBERALISM AND BIG GOV'T... VOTE REPUBLICAN!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Save it for the GD forum.

This was a really nice thread until the angry **** arrived.
[/QUOTE

So typical of you....Guy corrects someone, makes a comment and you go off.....sheeesshhh typical dem....always spouting off and pointing finger like a little tattle tail kid. Grow up.

I also get the hay that's diesel thing if I don't have achance to get premier in Elmhurst.

BRBarian

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Five Golf TDIs!
Originally posted by jasonTDI:
So typical of you....Guy corrects someone, makes a comment and you go off.....sheeesshhh typical dem....always spouting off and pointing finger like a little tattle tail kid. Grow up.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Save it for the GD forum.
This was still a nice thread until the second angry **** arrived.

p.s. He wasn't correcting anyone, he was just being a wise *ss (just like you).

jpltdi

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Old Navy:
I didn't buy it because it didn't have the leg room the Datsun trucks had. Tried to buy Datsun diesel but dealer said they wern't importing them to US.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I remember riding in the back of a Datsun diesel pickup around 1986. It was a lot of fun for a kid - I loved the smell and the sound!

edsiajb

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Well...it finally happened yesterday. I went to my local Amoco where gas is in the front and diesel is in the back. I just began pumping when this guy on the roof (he appeared to be working on one of the air conditioners) started screaming at me! I could not tell what he was yelling because of the diesel trucks around me but when I yelled back "ITS A DIESEL" he yelled "OHHHHH". Several others got a good laugh...

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Well, since Nitejav had a story about the Hess on Rt 31 in Clinton, NJ (and given that I live just a town over from him), I figure I'll add my story to the pile...

The Setting: Same Station
The Time: 3-4 months ago (approx)

I pulled in, popped the fuel door, and climbed out to throw in my additive. The attendant comes over as I am pulling my bottle out of the trunk. He asks, "Regular?" "Nope." I reply, "It's a diesel". "Really?" he says, looking mildly surprised.

At about this time, one of the other attendants (who apparently saw me come in) arrives by the car, and says to me, "sorry, he's new here".

I responded "no problem" as the first guy proceeds to handle the fueling. In retrospect, it seems funny.

They don't even bat an eyelash when I hand them my CC and say "fill it to the first click, diesel". I'd wager most of the attendants know me on sight now. Now THAT's service.

Ooh... thought of another story. I pulled in to the same Hess last week, stopped at the low-flow diesel nozzle. The gas pumps in front of me were empty, but I didn't give it another thought.

While the pump is running, a young girl (looked like HS or ugrad college)in what appears to be an A3 Jetta pulls up behind me. About a minute goes by, and I don't move. (getting fuel, remember
)

By this time, I'm ignoring her, figuring she's waiting for my pump. Out of the blue, I hear a horn blow behind me, and look in the mirror to see her shooting me a dirty, "why didn't you pull up to the front pump, idiot?" look as she backed up and went to another island to get gas.

I was mildly perturbed at the time that she couldn't tell what pump I was using, but I would have loved for her to have come up to my window to give me a hard time so I could have pulled the verbal rug out from under her with the "it's a diesel" response.

Rob

[ July 30, 2002, 10:05: Message edited by: Rob Mayercik ]

troy_heagy

BANNED
Originally posted by Kyanoti:
In Oregon... what bugs me are the people who start yelling at me when I don't pump their gas
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You could have a LOT of fun with that!

Jerk:"Hey buddy... get over here and fill up my car!"

Me:"Screw you... fill your own car."

Jerk:"Why... I'll... I'll complain to your boss and get your fired!"

Me:"Go ahead."

(later after the Jerk complains to the manager)

Jerk:"Why didn't you tell me you didn't work here?"

Me:"Because you were rude. So, I was rude back. 'Do unto others as they do to you' is my philosophy. Next time, don't be such a jerk."

In New Jersey, full serve is mandatory too, but I always fill up myself anyway. I can do it much, much faster than the pokey attendants. Sometimes I'll be told, "That's illegal ya know," to which I reply, "Fine. Call the cops." They never do.

Troy

[ July 30, 2002, 12:19: Message edited by: troy_heagy ]

troy_heagy

BANNED
Originally posted by ChrisB.:
Once at the local Amoco station, I noticed the 2 attendants were pointing and laughing as I filled up the Bug with PowerBlend. When I went in to pay, one of them said, "Just how far do you think you're going to get now that you have filled your tank with diesel."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You could have had a lot of fun with this too... "Well, why didn't you TELL me I was using the wrong fuel?" and see how they respond. Get into a fight.

And then drive off as they look amazed. ;-)

troy_heagy

BANNED
Originally posted by FL70CAT:
I had some lady walk up to my wife at wal-mart one time after we parked and say "excuse me dear, your car has something wrong with it....it shouldn't sound like that"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"Well, of course it sounds funny. It's a Beetle! Duh.
"

As you can see... I've had the same question several times already. :)
Troy

[ July 30, 2002, 12:20: Message edited by: troy_heagy ]

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
This has to be the longest thread I've ever read clear through on this site. We've had some fun moments, huh?

I've had my share of people warning me about what I'm doing, but I always 'hear' their friendly intention and end up in a friendly exchange with them. Most people are honestly impressed with the quietness and RANGE of these automobiles.

I too had many friends ask me skeptically why I bought a DIESEL (for chrissake), but as time goes by more and more people are picking up on the TDI. Even the car mags are starting to say remotely accurate stuff about them now.

Anyway, Jerks who wait until you're already filled up before 'warning' you really need to be asked why they waited to say something. "I just noticed" passes. Any other response needs a snappy comeback. Nothing Springer-esque. That'd be dropping to their level. Suggestions?

We need a fresh thread with good comebacks, real or imagined. Just try to keep them clever and friendly, ok? Check out 'Good comebacks' in this section.

~BeetleGo

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Originally posted by Rob Mayercik:
While the pump is running, a young girl (looked like HS or ugrad college)in what appears to be an A3 Jetta pulls up behind me. About a minute goes by, and I don't move. (getting fuel, remember
)

By this time, I'm ignoring her, figuring she's waiting for my pump. Out of the blue, I hear a horn blow behind me, and look in the mirror to see her shooting me a dirty, "why didn't you pull up to the front pump, idiot?" look as she backed up and went to another island to get gas.
Rob
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Being from New Jersey originally, its sad to see how its changed over the years from slow left lane drivers to the "expletive deleted" obnoxious crowd.

Here in rural Kentucky, if you are stopped and forget that there is a green light, the person behind you would wait for you to go and never use a horn. It would be considered rude. People are much more friendly and civil here.

judh

TDI
Jetta, 2k2, Galactic Blue
ooohhhh, so YOU were the one who honked at me the other day at a light that had JUST turned green, and I was about to go, when someone honked thier horn thinking I could accellerate faster than the speed of light *hmpf*

Really, I may have a TDI, but its not THAT fast off the block!

Nitejav

Veteran Member
TDI
NiteJav
Originally posted by Tin Man:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Rob Mayercik:
)

Rob
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Being from New Jersey originally, its sad to see how its changed over the years from slow left lane drivers to the "expletive deleted" obnoxious crowd.

Here in rural Kentucky, if you are stopped and forget that there is a green light, the person behind you would wait for you to go and never use a horn. It would be considered rude. People are much more friendly and civil here.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In NJ it is illegal to pump your own gas. But the acception is diesel. They let you pump that yourself. Station won't get in any kind of trouble if someone sees me pumping diesel in my car... Then again the cops are probably dumb enough they will think I am putting gas in it and violating the law. (they wrote the law this way so truck stops could keep running without attendants.) In response to person who fills up where I fill up, you should have gone over to that girl and told her she was the dumbass for not realizing your car is diesel, and the only pump you can use...Well unless you want to use the truck pump on the side which has nozzle the size of large garden hose.

Greg Yohn

Veteran Member
I was on the NJ Turnpike last weekend and was TRYING to fill up at the gas station at the first place south of NYC. The attendant said I had to wait in line with 10 CARS ahead of me, even thought I told him I could jump between the gas pumps and fill up on diesel. He thought the crowd would get ugly, so I decided to get off at Trenton and have a whole gas station to myself!!

[ August 02, 2002, 21:06: Message edited by: Greg Yohn ]

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by Tin Man:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is a difference in a "polite" honk and a "rude" honk.

If I'm behind someone and the light turns green, I give them a few seconds. If they don't move, I'll give a poilite "beep beep". Just enough to get their attention. And if that doesn't work, then I lay on the horn -- HHHOOOOONNNK!

troy_heagy

BANNED
Originally posted by Greg Yohn:
The attendant said I had to wait in line with 10 CARS ahead of me, even thought I told him I could jump between the gas pumps and fill up on diesel.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why didn't you just ignore him and pull into the middle diesel pump?
Troy (just curious)

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
That's what I would have done. And when everybody else started pissing and moaning, I'd tell them "Go buy a diesel and you won't have to wait in line either!"

saabguru

Veteran Member
Tin Man wrote:"Being from New Jersey originally, its sad to see how its changed over the years-etc"
"Here in rural Kentucky, if you are stopped and forget that there is a green light, the person behind you would wait for you to go and never use a horn. It would be considered rude. People are much more friendly and civil here."

I have a similar observation. Raised in Massachusetts, settled in Texas. People here don't honk unless it's to warn of imminent danger- and I retired my center fingers as communication devices here about 12 years ago. I kept a couple aggressive habits, because I didn't want to be totally helpless when driving out of town, but yes folks in the South are generally a LOT more courteous on the road than up North, and I have become so too. The cops (State Troopers) here in Texas are WAY cooler than ANYWHERE I've ever lived, you have to be RAGING to get a real ticket here. Then, if you do, just call the county Judge, ask nicely if you can take the driver improvement course (a video you can watch), in lieu of paying the ticket or contesting it, and BOOM, you're off the hook!I've gotten 2 warnings from the SAME TROOPER within 4 months right here where I live. There's very lean speed law enforcement, mostly where it belongs, in school zones and such.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
I'd like to know what part of Texas you live in. Because I've gotten tickets from state troopers more often than not. And don't even thick about getting out of a ticket in a small Texas town, especially if you're just "passing throught". And there are plenty of rude drivers in the bigger cites like Dallas and Houston. Even little old Tyler, Texas (pop 83k) is full of rude, idiot drivers.

{edit} heh...I guess you live in Austin. There's no rude drivers in Austin???

[ August 14, 2002, 20:24: Message edited by: ProjektZwoTDI ]

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
I haven't had anyone question me when filling up, however my wife gets stopped every time she fills up my A3 TDI. It happens so often that she has been getting pissy with the people who try to stop her lately,"HOW COME MY HUSBAND NEVER HAS A PROBLEM WHEN FILLING UP OUR DIESEL, WHAT DO YOU THING I'M A CAR IDIOT JUST BECAUSE I'M A WOMAN......"

I also pulled the "why didn't you pull up to the end pump, (gas only station)" one day to an older gentleman, who, politely, informed me that there was a car in front when he got there. Open mouth, insert foot.

saabguru

Veteran Member
ProjektZwo:

I work in Abilene, four days a week, and travel to Austin for fri, sat sun- I use US 84, and hit US 183 in Goldthwaite. I hang a left on TX 29 at Seward Junction, a right at I-35. The only place I often see a cop is south of Early, near the train overpass.

sauria

Veteran Member
Originally posted by saabguru:
ProjektZwo:

I work in Abilene, four days a week, and travel to Austin for fri, sat sun- I use US 84, and hit US 183 in Goldthwaite. I hang a left on TX 29 at Seward Junction, a right at I-35. The only place I often see a cop is south of Early, near the train overpass.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now that's the only way to work in Abilene! How long is that drive? I gotta hit Austin more on the weekends.

[ August 18, 2002, 15:37: Message edited by: sauria ]

volksviggen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS ,blue
Originally posted by ProjektZwoTDI:

And don't even thick
about getting out of a ticket in a small Texas town, especially if you're
just "passing throught".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bf got a ticket on his way to Dallas once-the trooper noted his NY plate and said(insert heavy drawl),"Soo , you're from New York City, huh? We don't LIKE people from New York City." It was like something out of a movie.

I haven't had any experiences other than "I didn't know that VW made diesels!"
There always seems to be a diesel line at my favorite Petro-probably a good sign.

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.
Volksviggen (Kristen?)-

Is that you?! Interesting thread, right? I never thought it would end up 6+ pages!

Later,
Neil

Ian46

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG Premium with NAV
One of the best feelings is stopping at a Pilot truck stop off a highway, and pulling up to the semi pumps. All this while surrounded by trucks, and me in my little silver golf. Gotto love'em

eidie2

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
The guy in the next office next to me stopped while I was putting Stanadyne in my car the other day.

His question was, "why does it sound like it is a diesel?" Of course he obviously did not know it was a diesel.

The answer I wanted to give.

Your wife makes that sound too when well lubricated.

But, I couldn't say it.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Originally posted by ProfBooty:
"it IS a diesel, blow me!!"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ROFL! That is the funniest thing I have read in years!

Should would make a nice bumpersticker

[ August 22, 2002, 11:18: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]