TDI Used Oil Lab Analyses Results & Discussions

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk4 1.9L 4motion 115hp AJM
After an upwards trend of wear metals increasing on my oil sample results on my 2014 I decided to investigate before problems started. My last sample came back unusually high for iron and aluminum for oil that had 3500 kms on it.
Ignore the mileage, cat oil techs aren't the most vigilant even on the best of days.

December 2018 my oil heat exchanger seal between the filter housing and exchanger started to leak, found the large exchanger cap was loose, tightened it to 30NM. No problem until couple months later when it started to leak again. I ordered a set of seals and replaced them by dropping the exchanger and carefully installing seals. Old seal had a crack in it. torqued to 30NM

No problems except for oil results coming back high, then this week I decided to check vehicle over before going on a long road trip. and was met by this again....

Leaking again from the top seal. I was starting to get annoyed as i'd only changed it 2 years before. Lucky I had a spare set of O rings for the job and on removing was met with this....

and

The internal heat exchanger fins have been rubbing on the shaft, the three grooves don't look bad but there is quite bit of rub through. I camera scoped the exchanger and it looked fine. It seems the oil exchanger has been vibrating loose and rubbing against the cap oil shaft and cap itself was introducing wear metal due to metal on metal.

Cleaned everything, lubed seals and installed, made sure the exchanger was resting against the location tang, reinstalled cap and torqued to 30 NM. Ran vehicle for 20 minutes at 2500 rpm to get oil up to full temp.

Came back and its leaking again. This time i find the cap has somehow loosened so I once more torque it up to 30NM. cleaned off and run for another 20 minutes. This time no leaks. Obviously engine vibration had shifted the o ring on top and moved again. Still cant understand how it came loose in the first place, its never been touched since it left the factory, factory o rings have location slots so they cant move.

I know this a long post but it may help someone with information and i'd prefer to share how something simple brought on issues that could have ended badly. And also to double check the repair, even though its been correctly torqued.
Hopefully the next couple of oil sample results will be better!!
**** have done this job myself, didn't notice any metal flakes or glitter like you have. But mine was leaking a year ago so i changed the bottom and top seal, there is oil there again, so seems like i have to go and replace the seals again like you have. So annoying seing something you thought you fixed leak back, any tips on how to stop it from leaking completely?

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk4 1.9L 4motion 115hp AJM
Mine literally started leaking again for the 3rd time in 4 years last week, only happens when the temperature drops below -32c. I might put a new oil cooler in there as its getting irritating and feeling that either housing is warpped or oil cooler is.Granted it's only dripping but it bugs the hell out of me...
Yeah i freaking agree on this one! And since you say it, i have only noticed it leaking around this time of year too, when its quite cold (live in norway) Because the same thing happend last year! Damn you just made me realize. Will update on this thread if i get around to a new cooler. Or maybe a type of upgrade, because i have seen those radiator looking oil coolers, if im not mistaken they come on some gti's

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Just received my oil analysis and was wondering what the group thought about it; 09 Jetta with 270K miles.
I changed the oil during regular maintenance with the fuel filter and DSG service. The report indicates the potassium is high but not any extra sodium that would be concerning coolant. There are no CEL or codes stored. The car runs great and I have no issues. I bought it new in 09 and never had an issue.
Any thoughts why the potassium is high?

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Mk7 Sportwagen TDI DPF/DEF/EGR delete Malone 2 straightpipe with 62,900 miles. No other modifications. The only additive I put in the fuel tank is Stanadyne Diesel performance formula
Sent my used oil Mobil Delvac Extreme 15W/40 to Blackstone with 5700 miles since oil change.
Typical driving daily driving distance 30 miles mixed city/country. Car computer average MPG is 50, hand calc is more like low to mid 40's. Ambient temps anywhere from 60-90F (Carolinas) I do not have to add any oil between fills. Car is parked in a closed garage.
Fe 6
Al 2
Cu 1
Sn 1
Boron 67
Silicon 30
Na 4
Ca 1865
P 1041
Zn 1204
SUS viscosity @ 210 F 64.2 (69-79)
CST viscosity @ 100C 11.38 (12.7-15.5)
TBN 7.5

I cannot understand why my viscosity is so low; acts more like a 30W oil at such low miles. I was told I am shearing. I do not know how the wear metals are low if there truly is shearing. One mechanic told me I am still breaking it in. Someone else told me I am driving too slow ( usually run 60-65 in a 55 zone, 70-75 in a 70 zone. Occasional blasts to 90 on the freeway for about 1/2 mile once crankcase temp is about 200F (to clean out the turbo and everything else )
Someone else told me there is something wrong with my car. Does anyone have any opinion about this UOA?
Thank you.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Mk7 Sportwagen TDI DPF/DEF/EGR delete Malone 2 straightpipe with 62,900 miles. No other modifications. The only additive I put in the fuel tank is Stanadyne Diesel performance formula
Sent my used oil Mobil Delvac Extreme 15W/40 to Blackstone with 5700 miles since oil change.
Typical driving daily driving distance 30 miles mixed city/country. Car computer average MPG is 50, hand calc is more like low to mid 40's. Ambient temps anywhere from 60-90F (Carolinas) I do not have to add any oil between fills. Car is parked in a closed garage.
Fe 6
Al 2
Cu 1
Sn 1
Boron 67
Silicon 30
Na 4
Ca 1865
P 1041
Zn 1204
SUS viscosity @ 210 F 64.2 (69-79)
CST viscosity @ 100C 11.38 (12.7-15.5)
TBN 7.5

I cannot understand why my viscosity is so low; acts more like a 30W oil at such low miles. I was told I am shearing. I do not know how the wear metals are low if there truly is shearing. One mechanic told me I am still breaking it in. Someone else told me I am driving too slow ( usually run 60-65 in a 55 zone, 70-75 in a 70 zone. Occasional blasts to 90 on the freeway for about 1/2 mile once crankcase temp is about 200F (to clean out the turbo and everything else )
Someone else told me there is something wrong with my car. Does anyone have any opinion about this UOA?
Thank you.
You need more Data Points to figure out what is going on with this sample.

Viscosity drop or loss can be caused by shearing or fuel dilution. Usually a 15w40 has little VIscosity Modifiers in the formula so shearing isn’t an issue however the Extreme product is new so maybe it has more VM in it.

Blackstone labs doesn’t accurately measure Fuel Dilution so you can’t see what % is in the oil. You need to use a different lab that does the GC test. You have a drop of about 3 Cst which would indicate about 3% fuel if that was the cause. 3% fuel dilution is very high for a short 5700 mile sample.

The other issue is with Stanadyne. It’s is an all-in-one additive that contains solvents like Naptha. Solvents in your fuel will make the Fuel Diltion worse regarding viscosity loss for the same % of fuel. It’s always best to avoid additives with solvents, this includes all-in-one and winter formulas unless you absolutely need them. Based on your ambient temps you don’t have gelling issues so solvents aren’t helpful. Most additives are solvent based, however there are a few that are non-solvent based summer additives available.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I've read from BITOG that Blackstne doesn't measure fuel dilution accurately.
The only factor here that I can gather is the routine use of Stanadyne with every fill of my fuel tank.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I've read from BITOG that Blackstne doesn't measure fuel dilution accurately.
The only factor here that I can gather is the routine use of Stanadyne with every fill of my fuel tank.
If you have Stanadyne in the crankcase you will also have fuel. You just can’t say if the viscosity loss is shearing or FD because you sent it to blackstone.

Take another sample at 5700 miles and send it to Oil Analyzers. The kits are available on the Amsoil website. They measure FD with the correct test and can help identify what is going on. Until then all we can do is make assumptions.

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI 6MT
2015 Sportwagen (CRUA), Malone stg2, all OEM hardware (just before DPF clogged and got replaced with a catted Rawtek DP and new tune):

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen (CRUA), Malone stg2, all OEM hardware (just before DPF clogged and got replaced with a catted Rawtek DP and new tune):

3% fuel dilution and 10 cSt. Another reason to move up to a 5w40 or 0w40.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Would they need to know the brand of oil or weight?
Yes. When you buy a sample kit and sent it in. They ask for vehicle type, yr, oil type, miles on oil, oil type, driving habits, wether you've added oil, and if you changed the oil or if you were taking a sample.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Sanity UOA on new CUAA. Did an initial change at 500 miles because my understanding is the motor was assembled in 2016, and just sat around in a warehouse before I got it shipped over here. This is 2500 miles in, and I went ahead and changed the oil at this time. Planning to do the next at 10k and stick with that.
Really just wanted to be sure I had no fuel or coolant getting into the oil, and next UOA I'll likely get TBN and/or Soot checked out as well. These new injectors are taking some time to get dialed in, and there's plenty of excess smoke at the moment.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
This is my moms car. We got it from a local TDI enthusiast in mid 2021. I think he is a member here but it was on Craigslist. It has a number of upgrades including @Franko6 billet camshaft and taller 5th gear. 100 mph is 2900 rpm now. It was expensive but is very clean and had sub 100k miles. It is a rare option package 2 car with climatronic and leather. It drives nice but I wish the PO did the G60/VR6 SMF conversion instead of the LUK Repset kit which kinda sucks IMO.

I believe lead and tin is from the new aftermarket camshaft bearings. FD is likely from short trips. My mom is almost 71 and still drives stick shift, this is her DD.

Oil is RLI Biosyn HD 10w30 and 10w40 blended 50/50.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Here is a report for DSG Fluid change from 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL. I was a little late this time and the fluid went 42,000 miles, the fluid was changed around 121,000 miles on odometer. The car is running Kerma TDI engine as well as transmission tunes. I collected the fluid back in August and had it sitting in Blackstone container until I finally shipped it in Feb 2023. Results below:

YJBluesncoal

TDI
ALH
Please post your used oil lab analyses results here. Hutchman is working on a UOA website where we will be able to input and all the values the lab returns and run reports, view results and search using many different criteria. It's going to be sweet :D. Once it's online a link to it will reside right here - the first post of this thread.

In the meantime, instead of everyone starting new threads for every UOA they get back or sticking their UOA in other oil threads where it might get lost, let's all post UOA data here.

Myself and others will do our best to help you interpret your used oil analyses results, and if you already know what your results mean please still post them here to add to our knowledge base.

Thanks and Cheers!
where do I get these quality oils online for an ALH engine??? I've read a lot of articles over the years concerning the cautions of using the incorrect oil in specfic VW diesels due to softer yellow metals. Thank you for you info in here.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lots of oils available for the ALH that meet the 505.00 specification. Total, Liqui-Moly, Pentosin, Rowe, and Castrol are a few brands. Lots of people have use Shell Rotella T6 over the years, but I'd be less inclined to use it now because it's now a low ash oil.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
In 2003, the last year of the ALH era in the US and Canada, the owner's manual said VAG 505.00 or API CH-4. VAG 505.00 is a very old obsolete spec, and API CH-4 has been superseded by CI-4, CI-4+, CJ-4, and now CK-4. If you can find a CK-4 rated oil in the 5w40 viscosity, then it will suit your ALH engine just fine. In fact, all 5w40 oils will work.

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
where do I get these quality oils online for an ALH engine??? I've read a lot of articles over the years concerning the cautions of using the incorrect oil in specfic VW diesels due to softer yellow metals. Thank you for you info in here.
Yellow metals? You sure your not getting mixed up with transmission oil as some can't be used because of the brass synchros?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Just don't buy one of those Hans Auto copper camshafts and you shouldn't need any super exotic oils.