stick with G52 in your tranny - here's why...

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I'm glad I could contribute and hopefully it saves others some money in the future by not having to buy OEM fluid from the dealer, since last I checked it was in the $26 range. :eek:

That BG Syncro Shift II looks like a good option as well. Where do you purchase it at?
For reference--->https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive-line/bg-syncro-shift-ii/
Late response but I believe I got it here:

https://buschurracing.com/br-cart/fluidsshort-shifters-bushings/384-bg-synchroshift-ii.html

It seems like it has gone up in price. When I bought it in 2013 it was like $15/quart.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
A bump of an old thread because it's still relevant
So I called VW and double checked the specification of gear oil and for the O2J EGR transmission it specifies 070 oil as replacement.
Just using the year and model they came back with 060
This is a bit of information I found
https://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php
Volkswagen Oil Specifications
Volkswagen introduced its own specifications in mid '90s. Since then this classification system is the starting point for selecting the technically suitable products for all vehicles manufactured by the VW group (Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda).
Check out our new article providing in-depth explanation to all VW motor oil specifications!
Volkswagen Motor Oil Specifications
VW 500.00
Volkswagen specification for multigrade engine oils for gasoline engines with SAE 5W-X/10W-X viscosity. This is an "old" oil specification and is applicable to engines built before model year 2000 (up to August 1999). Oils with an approval made post March 1997 were given an alternative, later VW specification.
VW 501.01
Conventional motor oils suitable for some VW engines built before MY 2000. This is an “old” oil specification and is applicable to engines built before model year 2000 (up to August 1999). Oils with an approval made post March 1997 were given an alternative, later VW specification.
VW 502.00
Oil for gasoline engines. Successor of VW 501.01 and VW 500.00 specification. Recommended for those which are subject to arduous conditions. It must not be used for any engines with variable service intervals or any which are referred to under other specifications.
VW 503.00
Long-life gasoline engine oil for VW cars with WIV (system for longer service intervals). Also meets ACEA A1, SAE 0W-30 or 5W-30 specification.
VW 503.01
This specification is specifically for Audi RS4, Audi TT, S3 and Audi A8 6.0 V12 models with outputs of more than 180bhp, running with variable service intervals (30,000km or 2 years). Now superceeded by the VW 504.00 specification.
VW 504.00
The VW 504 00 specification superceedes the VW 503 00 and VW 503.01 specifications. VW 504 00 oils are suitable for engines meeting the demands of Euro IV emissions standards.
VW 505.00
Passenger car diesel engine oil specification, minimum performance level CCMC PD-2. Lists viscosities SAE 5W-50, 10W-50/60, 15W-40/50, 20W-40/50 requiring 13% max. evaporation loss and SAE 5W-30/40, 10W-30/40 requiring 15% max. evaporation loss.
VW 505.01
Special engine oil for VW turbodiesel engines with pump-injector-unit and for the V8 Commonrail turbodiesel engines. Meets ACEA B4 SAE 5W-40 specification.
VW 506.00
These oils are suitable for diesel engines with extended service intervals of up to 50,000km / 2 years. Not for use on engines with a single injector pump. Oil change is indicated by the electronic service indicator. Viscosity is SAE 0W30.
VW 506.01
These oils are especially for "Pumpe-Düse" (unit injector or "PD" engines) running on extended service intervals (30,000 - 50,000km / 24 months). Oil change is indicated by the electronic service indicator.
VW 507.00
Low SAPS oils suitable for Euro 4 engines and almost all VAG diesel engines from 2000 onwards with extended service intervals, unitary injector pumps and also Pumpe-Düse ("PD") engines. Excludes V10, R5 engines and VW Commercial vehicles without fitted DPF (diesel particulate filters) – these must use a 506 01 specification oil.
VW 508.00/509.00
This specification combo (508.00 for petrol, 509.00 for diesel) requires a 0W20 viscosity, fuel economy oil with long life additives. These specifications are NOT backward compatible with the eariler VW specifications. Recommended for the new 2.0 TFSI 140 kW and 3.0 TDI CR 160 kW VW/Audi engines.
Volkswagen Gear Oil Specifications
VW G 009 317
Gear oil for mechanical and automatic 6 gear transmissions.
VW G 052 145 A2
Special synthetic gear oil with SAE 75W90 viscosity for front and rear differentials, including limited slip differentials.
VW G 052 162 A2
Special ATF with viscosity modifier. Suitable for 4 and 5 gear ZF automatic transmissions. Not suitable for 6 gear transmissions.
VW G 052 171
SAE 70W75 viscosity gear oil.
VW G 052 171 A2
Special gear oil designed for the manual transmissions of cars with transverse engines.
VW G 052 175
Special working fluid for Haldex clutches. Developed by Haldex and Statoil.
VW G 052 178
Gear oil with SAE 75W viscosity.
VW G 052 180 A2
Special gear oil for Audi Multitronic transmissions.
VW G 052 182 (VW TL 521 82)
Special gear oil for certain DSG dual clutch transmissions.
VW G 052 190 A2
Special VW gear oil for Multitronic CVT transmissions.
VW G 052 726
Monograde gear oil with SAE 75W viscosity.
VW G 052 798
SAE 70W75 viscosity gear oil.
VW G 052 911
Audi specification for transmissions used with longitudinal engine configurations. Products meeting this specification are of SAE 75W90 viscosity and also meet API GL-5 criteria.
VW G 052 990
Special ATF for automatic transmissions combined with differentials.
VW G 055 005
Special ATF for VW automatic transmissions and transaxles.
VW G 055 145
Transmission oil with 3% Sturaco additive.
VW G 055 162
Special ATF for VW automatic transmissions and transaxles.
VW G 055 175 A2
Special working fluid for Haldex clutches. Developed by Haldex and Statoil.

Last edited:

rbhelle

TDI
VW Golf Variant MK5, 1.9tdi BLS engine with KBL 5-sp manual trans
Just did my manual trans oil change. I checked partslink24.com to verify what specs I needed. Car is 2009 Golf Variant Bluemotion 1.9tdi (PD) BLS with a 5-speed manual KBL (04A). VAG specs was G052726A2, but has been replaced with G070726 and I used Liqui Moly partnr 20842. It is a 75w GL4, within VAG specs G052/070 726. I noticed very smooth shifting and mpg is not affected, my car use approx 0,41ltr pr 10km long distance drive and approx 0,56ltr pr 10km mixed use. In Norway temperatures are -10 to -20 degrees celsius nowadays. Shifting was actually much better after oil change. LIQUI MOLY Gear oil https://m.autodoc.co.no/liqui-moly/13480892

rbhelle

TDI
Oh, I drained through bot the drain plug but also from the left outer pivot pin (located beside the VW sticker). Filling is done through the reverse light switch. No need to tilt car. Drained approx 0,6ltr from drain plug and 1,1lt from pivot pin. Refilled with 1,7ltr. Wich should be the correct amount. Gearbox is tilted, thats why you cannot use the fill hole located on the trannys side.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Ravenol 75W MTF-3 Yes! that's the oem weight fluid that VW most likely uses in all there manual's just relabled VW bottles & charges a ton for i had a 1 liter of VW fluid left over from 2 years ago wich after checking the OEM VW spec on the 2 year old grey looking bottle i bought off VW dealer wich was
(G 052 512 A2 Gear oil) Ravenol 75W MTF-3 matches too a T' wich means if you own a 2012 Jetta TDI like mine your getting a 75W weight fluid from your VW dealer for your 6 speed manual the Secret VW oem mystery fluid is finally revealed ! lol i wont pay that silly cost im draining and refilling mine with Redline MTL 75W80 GL4 alot cheaper $25.00 a liter works just as good.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I've been running Synchromesh by GM, Valvoline or Pennzoil for the older brass synchros for years with no issues. The newer steel synchros, not so sure, but there are lots of GL-4 oils out there that will work. The amount of sulfur and phosphorus makes the real difference between the older and newer synchro rings for shifting and wear.

I'm not paying $25 a qt for differential gear oil, or whatever sucker price they hit you with. Sounds like marketing ploy to me. Designer oils with 'secret formulas'

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
My 2017 VW Jetta "S" 1.4L 5M owner's manual does not address the manual transmission oil subject at all....................

I telephoned the Dealer - service tech said "100,000 miles oil change interval"

ez

rbhelle

TDI
My 2017 VW Jetta "S" 1.4L 5M owner's manual does not address the manual transmission oil subject at all....................

I telephoned the Dealer - service tech said "100,000 miles oil change interval"

ez
Sounds reasonable. On the other hand, G052726 are cheap, and changing it more often won't hurt I guess. I will do mine every 60'miles/100'km. My dealer told me that this oil is "lifetime filled"....duuuh

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I just used Syncromesh for the first time because the G52 was not readily available. The shifting is just as good as with the G52. The car is nearing 4K miles and I am going to start changing the gear oil every 60k miles because 100k miles just feels like too long. If I remember I will send a sample for analyses and see the results.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
YOU MAY NOT REQUIRE A FREEZER

(IF YOU ARE NEAR Camp McCoy)

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I do not think changing the gear oil out, even at 100k is necessary. I would say as long as the oil is clear, no contamination and it remains the right color, you are just spending money unnecessarily.

The most important thing to be aware of with gear oil is that IT'S IS IN THERE and at the RIGHT LEVEL. To check it, there is a 17mm allen plug toward the front of the transmission. I'm usually bending the stupid long cooling line for the power steering, so I can get between the lines to reach the gear oil plug. On flat ground, if I loosen the plug and gear oil starts coming out before the plug is removed, I think that's good. The O2J holds 2 quarts of gear oil, or with the front of the car raised slightly, like 6", when it starts running out of the hole, you have a full tranny.

02Q (2006 5-speed manual)has a very strange problem in that there is a baffle plate internally that keeps all the oil from draining, if you only use the drain plug provided and keeps the transmission from being filled properly, when using the front fill hole. To drain, I remove the seal below the shift tower. Be sure to use a gear oil resistant sealant like Permatex 'Great Stuff or #4 gasketmaker. When filling the transmission, I have the engine running and the transmission in gear to draw the oil over the partition to fill both sides of the partition. If ever the transmission is apart, the case should be drilled at the bottom of the partition to remove this annoyance.

I believe the #1 issue with a ruined transmission is the use of the wrong oil. However, loss of gear oil through the output shaft seals and not paying attention that your gear oil is GONE is a close second, if not first on the list. Oil loss has to do with your output shaft seals. For about $40 worth of seals, you save yourself replacing a engine part that with proper care, should last over 500,000 miles. And knowing how to double clutch would probably help that even more.

Even worse, for all you 01M auto transmission haters out there (include the Passat transaxles..), although there is transmission oil for the shifting side of the transmission, there is also a separate case for the differential, for which I use the same Synchromesh GEAR OIL for theO1M ( I don't recall the transaxle Code...). I don't recall if the 02Q have steel synchros, but if that is the case, using the GL-5 oil is appropriate. The automatic transmissions have a very small volume of gear oil to run the differential. It's about 1 quart. So, it's even more important that you pay attention to any leaks in these two transmissions' output shaft seals.