Vw Golf mk4 - Need some information please

sancop

TDI
Golf Mk4 TDI 110 Bhp, 1999 model, White Colour
Hi, I own a VW Golf Mk4 110bhp,1999 model with a manual transmission. It seems that for the past month i found it a bit difficult to change gears from 2nd to 3rd, by difficult i mean that sometimes i need to press twice the clutch pedal for the 3rd gear to go in. Since i bought this car i never changed the gear oil. I am hoping to do so next week, as this was my first guess that maybe the oil needs to be replaced. Mind you the mileage at the moment reads 58,000K.
My first question is, what type of gear oil is best to use, and what grade? : confused: Secondly do the sytems show that the cluth should be replaced?
Well i hope that someone will spare some time to answer my questions. Thanks inadvanced

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
The Golf Mk4 is referred to on this forums as an "A4". You will get better answers if you repost your questions on one of these areas. We talk about the "old" cars here.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
First, no...your clutch sounds fine. Clutch needs replacing when you press the accelerator and the engine revs up, but the car isn't accelerating much.

As for your shifting: I guess it's getting cooler (temperature) where you are. This is pretty typical for some VW transmissions. The gear oil shouldn't be used up by now, but no harm in doing so. Since you are in Europe, I don't know any oil brands sold there. A LOT of people, though, really like the VW oil.

As jck66 said, though, your car is referred to as an A4. This section of the TDIClub is for the A3s (think Vento and similar aged golf) or the B4 Passat. You'll get more informed answers if you go to the A4 section.