RYAN P's 6 speed 02M Conversions and ALL Euro TDI Parts

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Drop me an email, what gearbox?

Thanks Jack!!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
No sweat Ryan, hope all is well. Sorry you haven't heard much from me, but I just haven't bought any cars lately...greeting to Scott.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Yeah all good here Jack, Busier than ever as usual! Scott Says hello too!!

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
If I were you, I'd got through the alignment procedure again. Had a similar problem with the last bug I did in that after I did the proper alignment, nothing seemed to match. After much tweaking I finally got it dialed in.
Thanks -- I stopped by Jim (@ Dieselgeek, awesome guy) and had him help me make sure the shifter was adjusted properly. It was pretty close to spot on, and with a small adjustment to a coolant hose we had it as good as it would get. I can tell now that the shifter is aligned as well as it ever will be -- it wasn't bad before.

What I did learn from that is that I'm pretty sure the syncros are in bad shape for at least 1st and probably 2nd/3rd gear as well. I have less than 20k since I installed the transmission. I can't get into 1st gear unless I go into 2nd first, and even then only when I'm really slow or stopped. Third is a little sketchy as well but not as bad as 1st/2nd.

Overall, I wish I would have had the transmission rebuilt before spending all that time installing it into my car. I just moved to a colder climate (from TX to AK) and the grinding is much worse up here.

Ryan -- what does your 2 year warranty cover on these kits?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Please drop me an email with all our previous conversation and we can get something sorted.

These Used Gearbox kits dont have a 2 year warranty, the New Sachs DMF kit does, but i wont leave anyone hanging. I dont think the short shift helps as these boxes dont like to be rushed but with 500hp and aggressive driving we never have problems.

Thanks

Ryan

mercmanjp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 5 speed Wagon Upsolute tuned, 2002 Golf TDI Rocket Chip tuned, racer
Hi mophead, I meant to reply to this sooner, but had to leave the country for a bit. where in VA are you? I'm in DC, and have had some serious challenges to this project after making some possible bad decisions. Check thread here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4467051#post4467051

I'm thinking I need to buy Ryans total kit with a turbo upgrade to get my BEW where I want it...

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
Please drop me an email with all our previous conversation and we can get something sorted.

These Used Gearbox kits dont have a 2 year warranty, the New Sachs DMF kit does, but i wont leave anyone hanging. I dont think the short shift helps as these boxes dont like to be rushed but with 500hp and aggressive driving we never have problems.

Thanks

Ryan
It's always had the stock shifter, Jim was just nice enough to help me make sure I had it adjusted properly.

My misunderstanding on the warranty, this sounds like it's my problem to deal with. I guess I was just unlucky enough to get a well-worn gearbox. I don't even know what would help at this point...I think it needs to be rebuilt, and I'm getting ready to deploy for 9 months.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
It's always had the stock shifter, Jim was just nice enough to help me make sure I had it adjusted properly.

My misunderstanding on the warranty, this sounds like it's my problem to deal with. I guess I was just unlucky enough to get a well-worn gearbox. I don't even know what would help at this point...I think it needs to be rebuilt, and I'm getting ready to deploy for 9 months.
My bad RE the short shifter. Like i said, Email and i'll not leave you hanging.

2010_TDISedan

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Hello,

Do you have a kit or even parts list to do a DSG to 6 speed swap in a 2010 TDI?

Sorry if this has been covered in here before.

Thanks!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
I've never sold a DSG to Manual kit but if you are willing to work with me on the parts list we can work something out, I'm assuming we will need similar parts to the Mk4 Auto-Man kit

Thanks!

Ry

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Hi Ryan,

I have a Canadian spec 2011 Golf Wagon with 6 spd Manual transmission. I believe it is called the 02S unit.

On a flat highway the optimum speed for max economy seems to be about 61 mph (100 kph). Speed limits here are typically higher so I would like to raise the speed either by a taller tire combo or a gearing change.

Do you have a solution involving a taller 6th gear or differential that will do this?

A.m.C

Veteran Member
TDI
Seat Ibiza TDi Sport
What sort of power will the nozzles reach on an ASV engine with pd150 turbo, aiming for 200bhp +!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

inKryptic

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
I'm about 80% through the 01M to 02M swap using this kit. Here's some random lesson's learned that some may find useful.

Great service from Ryan, as everyone says
Fast shipping
Great packaging

DHL is pretty terrible in the US midatlantic. They delayed delivery 3 times, then put it as "out for delivery" on a Friday before changing their mind and waiting till Monday night. Anyway.. not at all Ryan's fault, but plan for delays to be safe.

I received the wrong shifter linkage, which I didn't realize until I had it installed and tried to connect it. Ryan is already sending out a replacement, so while I lost a few hours of work, I'm satisfied that he's taking care of it for me in a timely manner.

Get the bentley manual. If you don't want to buy it, there is at least one PDF version of it floating around on the forums. Either way, I highly recommend the digital version for the ability to use Search.

I printed the swap PDF that Ryan links to on this thread and split it into sections, and stapled them. This made it easier to compartmentalize what I was doing where.

I bought some magnetic work trays on Amazon and had one in each area I was working, so that I could keep hardware and the correct sockets in the right place, and not lose any of them. Under the hood, under the exhaust, on the door frame, and one near each front wheel well.

I wish I had ordered the parts a week earlier, and had taken a half-day to go through each relevant section of the bentley to check what I have against what I need. I spent a lot of time looking at parts thinking "what is this for" during the few days I had help from my brother to get the work done. If I had spent an hour at the kitchen counter with the box of clutch parts from Ryan and the bentley, i could've saved 3 hours in the shop when I was tired and running out of time.

I got the DMF Sachs clutch kit as well. Highly recommend. The throw-out bearing (release bearing) on the 02M looked pretty bad, so I'm glad I had a new one to put in. The clutch kit does NOT include a clutch alignment tool. Guys with more experience than me said I must have one, but turns out you don't really have to have it for this clutch. Still, though; they are a couple of bucks, so order one if you have the time.

Mine went into a mk4 jetta wagon, which would be the same as a golf. The trick to get the 02M in was to place the trans on the trans lift on it's side, so that the bulge on the driver-facing side of the trans is facing up. In this position, the trans will want to lean back, away from the motor. I put a 2x4 on the stand to level the trans. Slowly raise the trans stand while pushing the bulge toward the driver. This will shift the weight onto, and allow you to clear, the control arm. From there, get it horizontal again.. this won't be too hard, most of the weight is now on the control arm. Also, pull the 2x4 spacer out, so the trans sits mostly in-line with the motor.

I have the electrical work done, but no battery power yet, so I've got my fingers crossed on that front for now.

Thanks to all the work by BOERTJE and the contributors to that swap guide.. it was a HUUUUUUGE help.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
I received the wrong shifter linkage, which I didn't realize until I had it installed and tried to connect it.
Very interesting. I've been trying off-and-on for almost a year now to get my shifter adjusted perfectly and it simply won't work. Perhaps my linkage is incorrect. I do remember bolt alignment issues while installing it. For the record, I got everything secondhand from someone who originally bought it from Ryan, so I have no idea what parts are from him or not.

inKryptic

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Very interesting. I've been trying off-and-on for almost a year now to get my shifter adjusted perfectly and it simply won't work. Perhaps my linkage is incorrect. I do remember bolt alignment issues while installing it. For the record, I got everything secondhand from someone who originally bought it from Ryan, so I have no idea what parts are from him or not.
Mine's clearly wrong; there is no way to get more than one bolt into the trans. Additionally, the linkage cable bracket points the lines in the wrong direction. According to the Bentley, mine is for the 02J trans. There is a nice picture in there showing both styles.

Here's a pic I borrowed from someone else's thread. Look at the way the lines are angled coming out of the bracket on the linkage on the right.

That's what I've got.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Thanks for the feedback!

DHL are usually good, every now and then they delay things but not often.

Sorry about the Wrong linkage, We should only have 1 type on our shelf but someone got mixed up somewhere. You should have the new ones shortly!

No need for an alignment tool if you eyeball it somewhere near! Anyone wanting one please ask at the time of ordering and i'll throw one in!

It wont be long and you will be on the road!!

Arne, If the linkage fits you should be OK, getting them adjusted usually is not a problem though!

Speak soon

Ry

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the DMF Sachs clutch kit as well. Highly recommend. The throw-out bearing (release bearing) on the 02M looked pretty bad, so I'm glad I had a new one to put in. The clutch kit does NOT include a clutch alignment tool. Guys with more experience than me said I must have one, but turns out you don't really have to have it for this clutch. Still, though; they are a couple of bucks, so order one if you have the

Thanks to all the work by BOERTJE and the contributors to that swap guide.. it was a HUUUUUUGE help.
What I used for an alignment tool was a 16mm craftsman deep well socket. It was the perfect fit.
Thanks for the kudos. :D

inKryptic

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Thanks for the feedback!

DHL are usually good, every now and then they delay things but not often.

Sorry about the Wrong linkage, We should only have 1 type on our shelf but someone got mixed up somewhere. You should have the new ones shortly!

Ry
No worries; DHL not your fault, and I'm really happy with the quickness in resolving the issue.

For anyone on the fence about ordering this instead of sourcing the parts locally... if you have a lot of time and experience, maybe this isn't the best way, but I can't overstate the peace of mind in knowing that Ryan had my back on any issues, and that I didn't have to hunt down good parts for months before doing this job.

Last edited:

spoolintdi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI - 6spd swap
So far the conversion is working great. Now I'm trying to make my cruise control work. I followed the instruction and after my car didn't start. So i put all the wires back to their original location and the car starts again.

In the directions is says "Remove ECU pin #19 and pin #66 and put the pin #19 with YELLOW/RED wire attached into empty hole #66 (98 and 99 beetle it is pin #46 so please check before you throw 12v to the wrong pin)."

My problem is my yellow/red wire isn't pin 19(its in pin 14) and pin 66 has a thicker solid red wire.
Any idea what is the issue?

thanks for your help,
Ross

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you sure you counted the pins correctly and that it is the ECU and not TCU connector you are working with? Got a picture by chance?

spoolintdi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI - 6spd swap
I'm pretty sure. my numbers were lining up with the numbers that were on the ecu. I did take an pic during, sorry. I'll have to take pics when I get back in town on Tuesday.

Appreciate the help

inKryptic

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
I'm pretty sure. my numbers were lining up with the numbers that were on the ecu. I did take an pic during, sorry. I'll have to take pics when I get back in town on Tuesday.
Appreciate the help
On my ECU connector, I had to take some pics and zoom in real close, then count the pins. The number on the connector housing was off by one pin

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Arne, If the linkage fits you should be OK, getting them adjusted usually is not a problem though!
Should all three bolts line up? I have both vertical bolts installed just fine, but there's no hole anywhere close to the grommet for the horizontal bolt.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Mine's clearly wrong; there is no way to get more than one bolt into the trans. Additionally, the linkage cable bracket points the lines in the wrong direction. According to the Bentley, mine is for the 02J trans. There is a nice picture in there showing both styles.
Here's a pic I borrowed from someone else's thread. Look at the way the lines are angled coming out of the bracket on the linkage on the right.

That's what I've got.
Fwiw you can use the 5speed cables with the 6speed bracket. Boraparts should have the number. Swapping should be a quick thing.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
The only real difference between the two shifters for the 5 and 6 speed is that the 6 speed cables are a little shorter.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Should all three bolts line up? I have both vertical bolts installed just fine, but there's no hole anywhere close to the grommet for the horizontal bolt.
The Horizontal bolt is secured to a double head bolt on the bellhousing with an M8 nut with a large built in washer head.