2013 VW Passat 2.0 TDI CKR engine

UncleK

TDI
none (helping Nephew)
I am looking for someone who is familiar with the 2013 2.0 TDI engine (CKR).

On a previous post I was trying to diagnose a crank, no start condition and found lots of information on older style engines which led me down a rabbit hole (but I did learn a lot about these earlier TDI motors).

I am now far enough along that I suspect a cam sensor issue.

Since we are this far along on tearing down this motor (140K) we are wanting to change the timing belt and have found the front main seal leaking and needing to pull off the pulley for the belt. On other TDI motors it showed a place to put a special tool to lock the crank into place while taking the bolt out (180 ft lb) but have not had any luck finding something like that on this motor.

So any help with getting this bolt out without tearing something else up will be greatly appreciated.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
paging oilhammer

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is a CKRA engine, actually, and is unique to the 2012-14 NMS Passat, no other TDI sold here uses it.

However, the crank counterhold tool will be the same as most other VAG 4cyl engines that use four bolts to hold the pulley to the sprocket. The "official" tool number is 3415, but there are many other aftermarket versions that will work just fine.

We may be better able to help if you gave us context as to how you went from "cranks but will not start" to "how to hold the crankshaft to remove the sprocket" and engine tear down.

UncleK

TDI
none (helping Nephew)
Since the car has 140k miles on it and we have to take the cam belt off to get at the cam sensor replacement (since you have to remove a cam pulley to get at it)and noticed the front main seal leaking, we want to change it while we have it torn apart.

When we hooked up an oscilloscope to the cam and crank sensors and we have a wave form on the crank sensor but only have a 5v flat line with no wave form on the cam sensor.

Since in VW's wisdom they put the cam sensor where you have to pull the whole front end of the engine apart to get at it (and don't get me started on how you have to pull the intercooler, throttle body and EGR off to even get at the connector for the cam sensor) we are going to change the leaking front main seal while we have it torn down.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What DTC does it have? Cannot say I have ever seen one of these need a CMP sensor, but I have done a couple higher mileage BEWs before.

Alldata calls for 4.0hr to do the CMP sensor, and it does say to remove the belt, but not the pulley. But like I said, I have never done one so if you say the pulley has to come off...

There is a special seal installer tool for the modern single lip type seals these (and many others) use. And there are some one time use bolts, including the crank sprocket bolt.