www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 12th, 2018, 11:38   #1006
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookin View Post
Did you total your car and then purchase it from your insurance company for its salvage value? If so how do you reconcile the difference between that and if you bought back your car at an auction lot instead?
Great question.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 12:45   #1007
johtdi

TDI(s): Jetta
Default Emails

Default Email contacts
Here are all of the emails addresses again, if you haven't already please write a quick note advise you are delayed or no response, anything is better than nothing. If anyone else has other email address of others to include on this please let me know i will update this post. Numbers Come out after February 26th lets make sure our cases are documented.

If you haven't received a response from all on this list, email them again, they have to know we will not go away if they keep ignoring us with bs deadlines, time frames that pass.

Vw willfully accepted all brands of titles with accident history early last year, many made purchases because of this, the smoke show, delay game has gone on long enough. Lets all do our part in any way we possibly can.

Thanks for all who have, we have to do something, prior to all the emails the epa didn't have a vw email address dedicated to this issue now they do, i believe our efforts have been noticed. With all of the press about hard knox maybe this will also get attention make vw enforce the settlement as they were earlier last year.

LEAD ATTORNEY Class Counsel
ecabraser@lchb.com
pgnguyen@lchb.com
t 415.956.1000 ext. 2236

FTC Email: jcohen2@ftc.gov
(202) 326-2551

COURT APPOINTED CLAIMS SUPERVISOR
terrence.brody@ankura.com
john.hays@ankura.com
1.202.481.1337 Direct

EPA Emails:
OTAQ@epa.gov
Iddings.Brianna@epa.gov
VW_settlement@epa.gov
734-214-4428

THE CRC
crc@vwcourtsettlement.com
1-844-98-CLAIM or 1-844 982-5246

__________________________________________________ _________________
Claims Supervisor Reports:

http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl/claims-reports

Updates:
http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl
johtdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 13:53   #1008
Jkhalil123

TDI(s): jetta

Thank you for your follow-up email.**As we previously have reported, Volkswagen has placed certain claims associated with branded titles on hold while it works with the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee to address how they should be processed.* We will provide updated information in our public report, which will be submitted to the court later this month.*

Thank you again for your correspondence.

Sincerely,

Ankura Consulting Group, LLC

1220 19th Street, NW, Suite*700

Washington, DC*20031

ankuraconsulting.com* *

Confidentiality Notice:

This email and any attachments may be confidential and protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender and then delete this copy and the reply from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by Jkhalil123; February 12th, 2018 at 13:56.
Jkhalil123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 16:35   #1009
halbert
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookin View Post
Did you total your car and then purchase it from your insurance company for its salvage value? If so how do you reconcile the difference between that and if you bought back your car at an auction lot instead?
The way it went was this.....

Accident on Nov 25, 2016 (Tboned right on the passenger side rear wheel/axle area. Side airbags deployed, etc.

Tried to get an answer from VW claims phone line on how to proceed. Note that this was just a few weeks after the claims phone system opened. No straight answers.

Recommendation (after a couple of calls to Lief Cabraser), was that if the engine would start and the vehicle move on it's own, to maintain possession of the vehicle.

Insurance company offered two payments: One amount (higher) if I surrendered title--this, plus the original owner restitution would have got me about $25K total--less than the full buyback that had already been quoted. Or a much lower payment if I paid off the loan myself, then under PA law the title would have to be converted to a salvage certificate (no registration permitted).

So, I took option 2, much to my regret. At no time did I 'buy it back': I paid off the loan and took the liability payment. If I had owned it free and clear, it would have had the same outcome. The insurance payment was close to the owed amount on the VW credit loan.
halbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:09   #1010
bizzle
Veteran Member

What you are describing is typically referred to as an insurance buy-back process. There may be different names and subtle differences from state to state, but your insurance company basically estimated what your vehicle was worth (option #1) and then subtracted the wholesale value from that amount (option #2).

There was likely a third option, but only you know if your insurance company offered it or whether you were interested in pursuing it. Option #3 would have been to accept a lower amount than option #2 where certain damages were accounted for without "totaling" the vehicle. You could have pocketed that money instead of completing the requested repairs and your title would have remained clean.

When my wife was in a rollover accident, the car was taken straight to a yard. We bought it back via what was essentially option #2 in your scenario and then flat bedded it from the yard to my family's shop so we could part it out. If your car was drivable and you just took it home, it probably didn't feel like a "buy back" because your car was never in someone else's physical possession. That's neither here nor there as the issue isn't so much whether you bought a car back or not, rather that the settlement terms are going to try and limit customers double dipping as much as possible.

Several months before the buyback our JSW was rear-ended and then rear-ended a month after that. We took option #3 and I don't have any personal reason to attack people who are trying to maximize their profit from this fiasco.

That said, to the extent that VW is requesting clarification and modification of the terms to limit/eliminate double dipping from customers, it's going to be difficult to convince the judge that people in your situation deserve a full buyback after you received market compensation for your totaled vehicle.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 14:37   #1011
jibberjive

TDI(s): MK7 GSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
If your car was drivable and you just took it home, it probably didn't feel like a "buy back" because your car was never in someone else's physical possession. That's neither here nor there as the issue isn't so much whether you bought a car back or not, rather...

Actually, that is precisely 'here and there' (relevant), as the languaging of the settlement explicitly hinges eligibility on whether it was actually bought back from an insurance company or not. The judge may change his interpretation or implementation of the agreement, but a strict reading of the settlement (which is unambigious, in my opinion) bases salvage title ineligibility on whether or not the car was bought back from an insurance company. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that situation, but it sucks that some do have to worry for something that is so black and white in the settlement.
jibberjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 16:10   #1012
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberjive View Post
Actually, that is precisely 'here and there' (relevant), as the languaging of the settlement explicitly hinges eligibility on whether it was actually bought back from an insurance company or not. The judge may change his interpretation or implementation of the agreement, but a strict reading of the settlement (which is unambigious, in my opinion) bases salvage title ineligibility on whether or not the car was bought back from an insurance company. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that situation, but it sucks that some do have to worry for something that is so black and white in the settlement.
You're factually incorrect regarding the settlement language.

His car was totaled in November 2016, which is more than a full year outside the scope of the branded exclusions. In addition to that, it doesn't say anything at all about buying one's car back from an insurance company after an accident.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 17:39   #1013
fookin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbert View Post
...So, I took option 2, much to my regret. At no time did I 'buy it back': I paid off the loan and took the liability payment. If I had owned it free and clear, it would have had the same outcome. The insurance payment was close to the owed amount on the VW credit loan.
If I understand correctly you could have taken the insurance payout and handed over the car or you took a lesser insurance payout and kept the car.
If it was the latter you bought it back from your insurance company. Your payout was decreased by the salvage value of the car. And, I'm saying that's no different then if you had bought it on an auction lot. You just did it in one transaction. It's a rhetorical discussion.

Last edited by fookin; February 13th, 2018 at 17:48.
fookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 17:49   #1014
fookin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A3

Anyone else chat or talk to the settlement portal people and receive the "mid-April" completion quote?
fookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 17:55   #1015
Brica

TDI(s): Passat

I did call for multiple cars and no time limit.
They didn't mention anything about April
Brica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 18:20   #1016
single94

Default Deadlines

If we all do what we can before the reports come out, notify class counsel im sure something will get done.

Going over details of the same one claim over and over isnt helpful, we are all being held back for one reason or another, only reason we are paying attention to this thread.

Do what you can, not what you cannot. Use your abilities to complain about process to those who might be able to get something done, no one writing in these posts can, only all at attorneys or other agencies who are involved in this settlement.
single94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 18:21   #1017
jibberjive

After single94's post, I PM'd my reply to bizzle, so as to not distract from the task at hand.

Last edited by jibberjive; February 13th, 2018 at 18:52. Reason: Don't want to distract from the task at hand
Old February 13th, 2018, 18:22   #1018
jibberjive

After single94's post, I PM'd my reply to fookin, so as to not distract from the task at hand.

Last edited by jibberjive; February 13th, 2018 at 18:54. Reason: Don't want to distract from the task at hand
Old February 13th, 2018, 18:56   #1019
halbert
Veteran Member

All interesting interpretation...and it gains nothing. Personally, if they offered me terms that was essentially "full buyback minus insurance payout" sorry for the confusion and inconvenience, I'd take it a walk away.

I had two buyback appointments (March and April last year) that were cancelled at the last minute, then I spent 6 months in step 14 limbo with them asking for a correct title document. Most recently they did accept the salvage certificate and asked for the vehicle purchase document which is all under review.

What is maddening is that if, a year ago December, I had been clearly told, "your best course of action is to take the full insurance payment plus the original owner restitution", I would have done so. I WAS clearly told by the good folks and Lief Cabraser that my full buyback WOULD be granted as long as the engine ran and the vehicle could move under it's own power. Which, of course, still remains to be seen. So far, it all appears to me that they have been making it up as they go along for the last 15 months or so.
halbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 19:48   #1020
lvrpl

TDI(s): Passat TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberjive View Post
Can you post the language and reference from the settlement that explicitly says that eligibility hinges on whether a car was bought back from an insurance company or not? I've read the settlement a few times and have never seen that - just wondering if I'm missing something big and obvious.
lvrpl is offline   Reply With Quote