www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old January 5th, 2018, 22:07   #16
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando View Post
Oh, so it really WAS a stupid question! Sounds like CEL is generic for what VW calls MIL. Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal to sell the car here too (though we have no emissions inspections). I don't trust the dealer at all, which is good reason not to buy from them, though I think they're hurting themselves with such carelessness and if I can get a good enough deal. . . .
Your name is Orlando and you live in Dystopia? That doesn't help us to know what is a normal temp range for your location.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 08:07   #17
orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Anchorage View Post
Your name is Orlando and you live in Dystopia? That doesn't help us to know what is a normal temp range for your location.
Ha! It's FREEZING here (Columbus Ohio) and has been for two weeks. What could be more dystopian than the midwest?

After a month of following prices and test driving, I decided not to buy one of the 2015s. Two GSWs with the SEL trim dropped under $18K (!) here (and two others dropped to ca. $19K), but the both had an MIL with emissions-related problems. (I confess I was going to buy one of them anyway if it came down another $500, but it sold first.) Now none are for sale in central Ohio for under $20K.
orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 09:02   #18
showdown 42
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 touareg

I expect a large majority of VWs with ad blue systems fail in the heater dpt. It is a know problem. My TREG tdi ad blue heater failed at 35K miles,replaced by VW under good will. Light just came on for a few days at 55k miles. I may be going back for another replacement. No big deal as long as they pay for it. I do have a 100m 10yr extended warranty which has been very handy.
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 09:35   #19
Grigg3
Veteran Member

Where is the heater, how easy to change, and how expensive?
Old January 6th, 2018, 12:46   #20
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando View Post
Ha! It's FREEZING here (Columbus Ohio) and has been for two weeks. What could be more dystopian than the midwest?

After a month of following prices and test driving, I decided not to buy one of the 2015s. Two GSWs with the SEL trim dropped under $18K (!) here (and two others dropped to ca. $19K), but the both had an MIL with emissions-related problems. (I confess I was going to buy one of them anyway if it came down another $500, but it sold first.) Now none are for sale in central Ohio for under $20K.
I grew up in Waverly. Yeah, I know the freaking out every time there is 2" of snow.

FWIW, I have a 2015 that I bought in September and have been driving here in Anchorage since then. Yes, I have a garage, but it's parked at work in sub freezing temps all day and I have had no problems.
Good luck.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!

Last edited by Mike in Anchorage; January 6th, 2018 at 12:48.
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 14:41   #21
manyVAGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigg3 View Post
It really does not matter where it is because it is a free fix under warranty for 11 years or 162k miles if you had the emissions fix done.
manyVAGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 20:25   #22
Grigg3
Veteran Member

It matters for my own curiosity, and to learn more about these increasingly complicated cars.
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:20   #23
jjblbi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg S, 42 mpg W

If you have the ability to reset the code, do it. My '14 Passat SEL def heater threw the code a few thousand miles ago (135k now). I researched the least costly replacement (T-Reg part with harness mod) and decided to try resetting first. After two or three resets a couple of days apart no more code or dash light. We are in the middle of some of the coldest weather in years, single digit nights and teens by day. Indicated -4F on my commute last week.

Hope I haven't jinxed myself!!
jjblbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 09:40   #24
fredthe
Veteran Member

So the car threw the code again, just before we got the fix. I cleared it (since it was technically out of warranty at the time) and the dealer did the fix without any issues. It's now thrown the code post-fix and goes in tomorrow for repair. We'll see if they replace the AdBlue tank again, or check for loose connections. It seems that the code only show up in cold weather (which would make sense, since that's when it needs the heater.)

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:42   #25
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigg3 View Post
I think dealers charge around a +grand, parts are around 3-400, I believe the tank/heater/sensor/pump is located in the right rear wheel well area.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 13:42   #26
fredthe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthe View Post
So the car threw the code again, just before we got the fix...We'll see if they replace the AdBlue tank again, or check for loose connections.
And the dealer says the Heater isn't covered by the extended emissions warranty. On hold with VW cusotmer careless now.

Edit: VW confirms that the AdBlue heater is not part of "The entire exhaust after treatment system." They are going to talk to the dealer and see what can be worked out.

Last edited by fredthe; February 13th, 2018 at 14:09.
Old February 13th, 2018, 14:34   #27
fredthe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1jackson View Post
Is the ad blue heater covered under the extended emissions system warranty? The one offered by the "fix"?
Apparently not

Old February 13th, 2018, 19:30   #28
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Have you tried disputing it with them? All disputes are supposed to be resolved in favor of the owner. I would contact the Class attorneys and get them on it, maybe.
Old February 13th, 2018, 20:15   #29
fredthe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Have you tried disputing it with them? All disputes are supposed to be resolved in favor of the owner. I would contact the Class attorneys and get them on it, maybe.
Not yet, I need to see what they come back with. But yes, I do plan to dispute of necessary. I just need to have all the relevant documents ready to quote to them.

Old February 14th, 2018, 04:17   #30
740GLE
Veteran Member

wow NOx related emissions components isn't covered by the EPA approved fix related warranty, that's a good one!!!!

If they are replacing heater cores under the extended warranties, yet not the any part of the DEF system that's just ripe.

Best of luck and report back the outcome.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote