www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old February 12th, 2018, 07:40   #76
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

A lot of what they are reporting for fuel prices could be related to where they live. Check out the fuel price thread on here. I know if I drive two miles across the NC/SC state line, I can typically save 20 to 30 cents per gallon.
Old February 12th, 2018, 10:21   #77
TwosDay
Default Thanks for helping to prove my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
A lot of what they are reporting for fuel prices could be related to where they live. Check out the fuel price thread on here. I know if I drive two miles across the NC/SC state line, I can typically save 20 to 30 cents per gallon.
Thanks for providing additional data that supports the fact that two of the FUELLY users claiming to own Chevy Equinox TD's are imposters. I took your advice and read the fuel price thread posts dating back to January 1st of this year. I never did see a diesel price report of less than $2.50 per gallon. The two imposters on FUELLY have reported averages of $2.38 and $1.85. The three apparently legitimate FUELLY users average paying $2.82, $3.08 and $3.00 per gallon for fuel.
TwosDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 16:33   #78
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

^ Crap like that happens all the time on Fuelly. A lot of people don't know what they have under the hood, and/or they check off a random engine choice instead of checking off the correct one. There is no validation whatsoever.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 11:59   #79
eli
Veteran Member

to answer a previous question from above:
2017 cruze diesel provides heat faster than any car I've ever tried, including gassers. equinox is probably similar.
Cruze diesel has a powerful electric cabin heater plus movable flaps to block airflow from the radiator. I've put about 10k miles on it in the 4 months I've owned it, including being stranded for a few hours on I-90 during "arctic blizzard conditions" and a few days visiting MN with temps varying from -20F to -8F. There was some anxiety about gelling and a Ford F250 from Texas at the MN hampton inn was towed away due to gelling. But no gelling occurred in my Cruze Diesel on any of the -20F overnights (not including wind chill!).
On a cruzetalk forum, one Cruze Diesel dude reported that his did gel in Wisconsin after he drove it from Iowa and parked the car for 4 days.
Based on the R2-D2 noises I hear from the car after shutoff, it may be recirculating warmed diesel fuel back into the tank, even after the car is shut off.
eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:33   #80
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

No, it is purging the DEF from the lines back to the tank. All SCR systems do this.
Old February 15th, 2018, 15:21   #81
Flora

Just test drove one of these today. While I loved the features (CarPlay, wireless phone charging, AWD that you can turn off and on, lane departure, cameras, etc), I thought the engine was woefully underpowered for the vehicle. Accelerating down onto the freeway, I put the pedal to the floor and very little happened... I wish the Cruze hatchback held more than a carry-on bag - now that thing's got some power. Still waiting for the Mazda diesel. If that doesn't materialize (not holding my breath), considering the 328d wagon or Volvo V60.

Has anyone looked at the new Buick wagon? Why doesn't anyone make a wagon anymore?
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 22:15   #82
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Just test drove one of these today. While I loved the features (CarPlay, wireless phone charging, AWD that you can turn off and on, lane departure, cameras, etc), I thought the engine was woefully underpowered for the vehicle. Accelerating down onto the freeway, I put the pedal to the floor and very little happened... I wish the Cruze hatchback held more than a carry-on bag - now that thing's got some power. Still waiting for the Mazda diesel. If that doesn't materialize (not holding my breath), considering the 328d wagon or Volvo V60.
Has anyone looked at the new Buick wagon? Why doesn't anyone make a wagon anymore?
Europeans like wagons which give much better ratio of cargo size to MPG vs. what Americans like, SUVs.

How often can you find a Honda Accord wagon, a Mazda 6 wagon or a Toyota Camry wagon (never) in North America? If you see one they are probably around 20 years old! Besides the current luxury mid-size wagons such as the ones from Volvo and Cadillac, what else can you find with a cargo closer to 40 cubic feet. I am not asking one with a diesel engine, but a new non-luxury mid-size wagon with any kind of engine
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 05:53   #83
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Drove my B5 wagon to work today. Brought the recyclables in with me. Could not imagine a better package for a car. Love this thing. Too bad it has been cursed with spark plugs so I rarely drive it. Still a nice car though.

Hopefully some day that diesel conversion will happen.
Old February 18th, 2018, 06:38   #84
Flora

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Europeans like wagons which give much better ratio of cargo size to MPG vs. what Americans like, SUVs.
How often can you find a Honda Accord wagon, a Mazda 6 wagon or a Toyota Camry wagon (never) in North America? If you see one they are probably around 20 years old! Besides the current luxury mid-size wagons such as the ones from Volvo and Cadillac, what else can you find with a cargo closer to 40 cubic feet. I am not asking one with a diesel engine, but a new non-luxury mid-size wagon with any kind of engine
True enough. Even the new Buick I referenced are 29-35k. Seriously???
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote