www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 11th, 2018, 14:34   #1
Blakegolf

Default 2002 Golf tdi brake issue

I recently noticed when I apply the brakes there was a clicking/popping noise coming from the left rear. I took the car in and it was due to a warped rotor. The brakes and rotors have about 10k miles on them. I put a new rotor and pads on and while the car was still in the air I spun the tire and I could hear the caliper catching the rotor at the same interval on every spin. I'm assuming this is what caused the warp and the noise. The noise went away when I drive but I know it will warp again. What is causing this?
Blakegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 19:40   #2
eb2143
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakegolf View Post
I recently noticed when I apply the brakes there was a clicking/popping noise coming from the left rear. I took the car in and it was due to a warped rotor. The brakes and rotors have about 10k miles on them. I put a new rotor and pads on and while the car was still in the air I spun the tire and I could hear the caliper catching the rotor at the same interval on every spin. I'm assuming this is what caused the warp and the noise. The noise went away when I drive but I know it will warp again. What is causing this?
Are the caliper guide pins corrosion-free and lubricated? Is the caliper carrier and hub where the rotor mounts free of rust? Was the tire properly torqued (star-pattern to 89 ft/lbs) when you spun the wheel? Was the wheel's mating surface free of corrosion? It's also possible for the MKIV stub axle or axle beam to become bent, even without a crash. If the rotor you installed was true, and you think it spins out of true, your problem should be evident with a close inspection if installation was meticulous and by-the-book.

Rotors don't really warp, but they can wear unevenly, usually from installation or maintenance shortcuts/something bent...

I will say that my rear brakes work fine and if I have the wheel off the ground the pads do "scrape" against the rotor and the wheel doesn't spin completely freely, but like you say, they should not touch at only one point during the rotation.
SOLD MY BABY: 2001 Jetta TDI 5mt, Bosio Sprint 520s, Koni FSDs, VW HD Springs, 10mm spacer, Audi TT LCA bushings, 034 motorsports strut mounts, E-code lights, Audi TT "short"-shifter, IDparts rear sway bar, DG Panzer plate, Caterpillar 2m fuel filter, Frostheater, GLI Recaros, GTI 3-spoke steering wheel, Audi S3 shifter, R-line stainless pedals[/URL]

Last edited by eb2143; February 11th, 2018 at 19:45.
eb2143 is offline   Reply With Quote