1.9tdi AHU camshaft cap nuts

Braderz788e

TDI
MK1 Caddy 1.9tdi (AHU)
Hi guys,
I have been rebuilding my head after getting the head skimmed and I'm putting my camshaft back in and some of the nuts are a bit damaged.
I would like to replace the nuts but cannot find any that are specifically for the cam caps. Can they just be regular nuts or are they anything special? Or does anyone know where I can get the correct ones?
Thanks

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
15 lb-ft
The nuts are flanged and probably grade 8.8 or better...not certain.
Franko6 should have some to sell. PM him.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
at 15ftlb, i would say that as long as the base of the nut is flared and SMOOTH, any nut from a hardware store with the proper thread pitch and diameter would do just fine.
Then again, it is a VW and its a mission critical part. Best not to risk it.
Frank is defiantly the guy to ask about some replacements.
How are the studs on the head? how did the nuts get damaged?

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Don't know how defiant I am about nuts, but I've got a whole container of 'em.

The nuts are a very good grade; I wouldn't doubt 10.8, but they are castle nuts, or in other words, they have a larger flange at the base of the nut. Right is right. We like OEM.

You need some, just let me know. All cylinder head parts and pieces are in stock.

JETaah

TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Don't know how defiant I am about nuts, but I've got a whole container of 'em.
That is why you have such a surplus of them. I have seen some of your rebuilt heads with the bearing caps stapled on.:D

To be a stickler, they are not castle nuts. Castle nuts would have the notches for a cotter pin to lock them in place and not necessarily a flange.

CASTLE NUT

FLANGED NUT

Last edited: