www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 2nd, 2003, 19:31   #1
Beagles

Default Alarm Won\'t Shut Off, Car Won\'t Start

Anyone know how to disable the alarm system in a '98 Jetta? My remote quit working so I opened the door with the key, which caused the alarm to go off. According to the owners manual, this should not cause the alarm to go off. I tried several times and no luck. Right now, the car is locked with the key, but the alarm LED is not flashing. The car has crank-up windows, if that makes a difference. I'm going to pick up some new batteries for the remote tomorrow, but I don't see how this should be different from using the key to open the door. Please help!
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 23:58   #2
bowlerman
Veteran Member

Default Re: Alarm Won\'t Shut Off, Car Won\'t Start

hi, i have had the same problem for a while now but havent gotten to it yet. i am going to take door apart and think something is either unconnected or broken? i dont yet have the fix but will try?
bowlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 09:52   #3
maineiac

I had a similar problem with my 98 Jetta. I would get in the car try and start it and the alarm would go off and the car wouldn't start. It turned out to be a bad wiring harness from the body of the car to the door. The wires had split and were shorting out, causing this and a few other problems. Easy to check, just pop off the boot between the door and the body of the car.

Good luck

Seth
maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 17:59   #4
Beagles

Well, I fooled around with it some and the only thing that seemed to work was when I put the key in the trunk lock while the alarm was going off. When I turned it counterclockwise, it shut the alarm off and let me start the car. Now all of the manual functions work, but I can't seem to get the remotes functioning. I replaced the batteries and went through the calibration procedure outlined in the Bentley manual, but still no luck. I'll investigate a little further when the weather gets a little warmer.
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 03:45   #5
TomR
Veteran Member

I've also got an alarm issue, but only when it's wet or raining out. The alarm will set but continually go right off. I suspect one of the door harnesses.
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 09:03   #6
Griz161

TDI(s): 99

Last year my 99 jetta's alarm would go off for 3 secs while driving and then shut off on its own. Talk about a head turner in traffic, lights flashing ,horn blaring. Good work Mexico!!

This cleared up on its own and I'm just waiting for the next blast. I'm feel like I'm sitting on a Mexican gernade...
Griz161 is offline   Reply With Quote