In Tank Fuel Pump 06 VW Golf TDI MK4 BEW please help!

Przemix

TDI
2006 VW Golf 1.9 BEW TDI MK4
Hey Guys anyone knows which IN TAnk Fuel Pump is best to get?

I have 2006 VW Golf TDI BEW 1.9

I have 160 K on the engine and never replaced the pump and recently started having problem when temperature dropped to 25F , I never had that problem before , also when I finally started the engine after many times cranking it I let it warm and i gave it a lot of rpms and let go the gas pedal and it shut down again like there was no fuel, even when it warmed up it didnt want to start, I checked the fuel filter and it was ok, so the only way I could start it was with Engine starter spray :/ and I gave i think a litlle too much because it went on high rpms and sudenly everything started to work properly.

Was the pump clogged and under engine starter spray it created big suction and maybe unplugged it?

I put 911 and other injector and pump cleaners addetives to the fuel when it didnt want to start.
I changed my temp sensor and Brand new NGK glow plugs and new wires too
Car starts now immediately even in cold temperatures but im afraid it might happen again because of old clogged in tank pump, how often should we put diesel additives there ? every time we fuel to keep pump alive and clean of dirt?

anyway...

I need to get a new in tank pump and keep it in my car if that happens again.
now... I have no idea about the pumps at all. I see on ebay they have so many with different prices and Im confused which one to get : / please help

$68 Fuel Pump Module with Sending Unit for VW Jetta Beetle Golf L4 1.9 TDI Diesel

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

$209 OEM VW Diesel PD Fuel Tank Lift pump Mk4 Golf Jetta Beetle TDI Diesel VDO 1.9

whats PD?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-VW-Die...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

or even for $285 Fuel pump !!!!!!!

$285 PD In-Tank Lift (Fuel) Pump MK4 BEW 1J0919050

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PD-In-Tank...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Its almost 2018 and they must have upgrade them or something right? I tried to read about those electronic lift pumps that gives 5-8 PSI pressure so the cheap ones dont have it ? or all of them have it and they are just trying to rip people off because of the brand?

Which one should I get ?
thanks for reading and sorry for mistakes, English is my second language.

thanks again.:confused:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just so you know, using starting fluid on a TDI can cause severe damage to your engine. If an engine does not start, you need to diagnose why instead of using starting fluid or what many people do which is cranking the engine until the starter melts.

How do you know the lift pump is bad? Did you perform a functional test on it or even determine that it wasn't pumping when it should be pumping?

Easy test. Disconnect the supply line at the fuel filter and have someone hold it into a container. Turn the key to run. You should hear the pump come on for about 3 seconds and then shut off and there should be some fuel in the container.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Walbro makes a pump that can go in the tank. a bit of modification is necessary but its probably the best upgrade you can do IMHO.

Never spray ANYTHING unmetered like starter fluid, cleaners etc... into a diesel, it can rev out of control and predetonate and kill the engine in a heart beat.

Cold weather can make the diesel gell up but 25F is not that cold for diesel fuel to have issues unless there are other things in it like water. water will sit at the bottom of the tank or the filter. I suggest a filter upgrade to 5 micron with a water separator filter, Nictane or Diztel mod. If you had enough water in your tank, it can sit in your lines and freeze, happened to my ford tractor one winter. PITFA to diagnose a frozen chunk of ice in a fuel line.

STOP putting chemicals in your tank. Molly fuel cleaner into the tank or a bit of anti gell as per instructions, and a product that will let the water become suspended in solution of fuel, Heat used to sell a product that did this but not im not sure anymore. Aside from that and additives for adding surfer back to the fuel, you should not be adding ANYTHING else to the fuel tank what so ever, chemicals can hurt the fuel pump, internals, and other parts if used frequently. Once is not going to hurt much.

Przemix

TDI
ok,thanks for fedback guys,

yeah the car is running very nice now and start right away like it used to. maybe that injector cleaner and 911 I added to diesel fuel dissolved all the water and dirt inside the pump and hoses and its all in fuel filter now,

Before, I used to add fuel injector cleaner and diesel additives every 2 -3 weeks because it said it gives extra mpg! but its a lie, a bottle cost $20 and it didn't increase nothing so i just stopped completely putting any additives and maybe thats why it got clogged.

I know 911 and other substances are high in alcohol and they dissolve stuff. Even on the diesel additives bottle it says to add every time you fuel up to keep your fuel pump alive and runing smooth so i guess i can only agree with that, but just in case i think i will buy one extra pump and cary it in the trunk because God forbid if I go fishing 200 miles away from home and it dies on me I will have to turn into man vs wild and live in Wisconsin woods for a while .

quick question regarding EGR delete... I did that to my car and I cant find anywhere what should I do with Throttle Valve intake swirl flap cable?

should it be unplugged and sealed or plugged in ?

I heard people completely replace it with aluminum pipe. I have my intake manifold swirl flaps open all the time too.

now is more air and it seems more responsive , same mpg thou.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Walbro makes a pump that can go in the tank. a bit of modification is necessary but its probably the best upgrade you can do IMHO.

You know who else makes a pump that goes in the tank? VDO. And you know who put them in there? Volkswagen. When they built it. Standard equipment even. ;)

Przemix

TDI
You know who else makes a pump that goes in the tank? VDO. And you know who put them in there? Volkswagen. When they built it. Standard equipment even. ;)

yeah but dealer wants $100 more for the same VDO pump on ebay :)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yea well its a POS and you dont get the life out of it that you do with a quality part. Nice thing about walbro is that its non restrictive when it fails unlike the OEM garbage. OP wants a bullet prof solution to his issues and this is one of them. Many builders that have used the OE in take fuel pump report issues with them after 50k to 75K mikes

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What are you talking about? Granted a few BEW lift pumps fail, but hardly enough to call them "bad", and most do last a good long time. I have LOTS of people here with 1/4 million miles or more without any issue. I am not sure there is a problem that needs a solution here.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
If you are going to buy the part put it on. If it doesn't work straight out of the box you can put the old one back in. All this at a time of your choosing. (Not at night in your driveway with an almost empty tank)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
What are you talking about? Granted a few BEW lift pumps fail, but hardly enough to call them "bad", and most do last a good long time. I have LOTS of people here with 1/4 million miles or more without any issue. I am not sure there is a problem that needs a solution here.
A light weight here still running the factory pump at 180K+ miles. Unless I'm running B20, I always use 4 onces per tank of Power Service. I have never run the tank dry either.

I did the Diesel purge procedure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_ZGh1KEec at 130K miles and didn't notice any difference with drive-ability or mileage. Companies that sell those worthless additive rely to good effect on this: https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/placebo-effect.htm to sell product.

I agree with Mongler, DO NOT put garbage sub standard parts on your car. In the long run, using garbage parts will cost you more than using OEM quality part the first time.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When the in-tank pump fails it may not be immediately noticeable, as the tandem pump CAN pull fuel from the tank. However, it stresses the tandem pump, and if that's allowed to go on for a while the tandem pump will fail. That may be what's happening on your car. If so, replacing the in-tank pump, while necessary, may not fix the problem. Depends on the condition of the tandem pump.

I've had a lift pump in my modified ALH for many years. The first one lasted about 150K miles. I've got mine routed to bypass fuel if they fail, so the car will still run. VDO's current pump will not flow fuel if the pump isn't working.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wounder if its the low sulfur fuel that makes them wear out now. it was never an issue in the past but it seems that more people are complaining about it now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe because the cars are 12+ years old they're wearing out. They've been a pretty steady seller for us for years.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Wasn't ULSD Introduced in 2007. If so the first year of PD was 2004. Say you drove a lot like 30k a year. Even in that scenario by the time ULSD showed up the early cars would have less than 100k. There is no baseline for how the pumps performed with excessive mileage or time with a higher amount of sulfur in the fuel. In addition wouldn't any early failures be covered under warranty. Is there any evidence from other manufacturers that used lift pumps on their diesels?

Przemix

TDI
I wounder if its the low sulfur fuel that makes them wear out now. it was never an issue in the past but it seems that more people are complaining about it now.

yeah its the BIO corn Syrup ****, I tank only at Mejers gas station because its the only highway diesel without bio-diesel blend they say, we have maybe 2-3 in entire Chicago can You believe that? the rest is bio diesel ****,

on bio diesel i did 340-380 miles and on mejers premium highway diesel i did 485-500 miles on full tank.