Costco diesel

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I ran into a Costco manager at lunch today. He told me that he came from a corporate meeting where he learned of the Costco's fuel island upgrade plan. He told me that part of the plan is to roll out diesel nationwide starting in 2014.

Awesome. Can't wait.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
AWESOME News!!!! Their gas prices are great and I hope their Diesel prices will be as well!!!

I have mentioned it several times to Costco mgrs and personel FWIW...

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
50 cetane would really hit the spot. Or at least 45

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Most Costco fuels are worst here in VA, I'm getting lowest mpg on Costco gasoline and BMW would light up check engine light for excessive gasoline vapor leak, but I would never get same problem with Shell, Sunoco, BP or Exxon. So I would not say it's a good news. The cheap is nor meaning good.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
It's good to see Costco expanding. When I saw this thread, I was going to comment that Costco's don't usually have diesel...but I guess that is going to change.

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
many said costco and other less known brand fuel are terrible, even some car mechanics said so.

well, all my petro cars have been running costco petro since they started selling in calif and i have not had any problem.

i used to work in a petro station and often chat with the delivery truck drivers. they all told me they get fuel from different refinary. today shell is short of fuel, so they get from arco. tomorrow arco ran out and they get from mobil. the only difference between these brands are the additives/detergent they use. other than that, arco gas is no different from shell or mobil.

however, there is a difference between the stations you get fuel from. a well maintained station will have less chance of contaminant than those fly by 9 stations.

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Glad to hear that Costco will be pumping diesel. California has strict quality rules for both gasoline and diesel so I'm sure their diesel will be fine. I drove my TDI across the country and my best fuel economy was on CA diesel.

I use Costco gas in my BMW turbo and Corvette with no problems. Around here we pay about 10 cents more for diesel over premium gas, but being in CA thet are both expensive. (Gas $3.95, Diesel $4.05)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I have a hard time buying some of the things in this thread. Every day we drive past the big tank farm (Marathon is on the sign) outside the metropolitan area we live West of. Every day tankers with all the brands under the sun are lining up and pulling through, loading up on product. While I understand that the additives spec'd to be put in each truck can vary, the fuel is obviously the same.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
How many people buy their gas using an app like Gas Buddy. People mostly get the cheapest gas they can find, or the closest station to where they are at. I don't think brand preferences and fuel quality are really considered for most people.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Clean air laws and regulations have brought about a uniformity in the properties of gasoline and diesel. It used to be that each refiner blended its own fuel based on the stocks available to it. I used to work for a refiner whose gasoline had the lowest specific gravity on the market, and highest vapor pressure. The stuff would start a car like crazy in the winter due to all the butane blended in, but in traffic that fuel made the carburetor equipped cars go into vapor lock. Then there was the chemical plant that was attached to the refinery. They didn't know how to get rid of by product alcohols the plant produced until some genius discovered that they had octane value, and would blend into gasoline. Except, in some cases, they caused rubber parts of some cars to dissolve in the fuel system.

In those days, there were real differences in some different brands of fuel. Today, not as much. But our refinery blended gasoline for at least four major brands on a regular basis.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I can't wait until Costco starts selling diesel - this is awesome news assuming it is not vaporware. Thanks for sharing, Yankinwaoz!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Clean air laws and regulations have brought about a uniformity in the properties of gasoline and diesel. It used to be that each refiner blended its own fuel based on the stocks available to it. I used to work for a refiner whose gasoline had the lowest specific gravity on the market, and highest vapor pressure. The stuff would start a car like crazy in the winter due to all the butane blended in, but in traffic that fuel made the carburetor equipped cars go into vapor lock. Then there was the chemical plant that was attached to the refinery. They didn't know how to get rid of by product alcohols the plant produced until some genius discovered that they had octane value, and would blend into gasoline. Except, in some cases, they caused rubber parts of some cars to dissolve in the fuel system.

In those days, there were real differences in some different brands of fuel. Today, not as much. But our refinery blended gasoline for at least four major brands on a regular basis.
I was there at that time too! When the Goberment told us to make MTBE and use it as an octane enhancer in gasoline, we told them it would raise Hell with carburetors and other gasketed parts. Now why would they listen to us?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I was there at that time too! When the Goberment told us to make MTBE and use it as an octane enhancer in gasoline, we told them it would raise Hell with carburetors and other gasketed parts. Now why would they listen to us?
Plus it was a known carcinogen!

40native

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Most Costco fuels are worst here in VA, I'm getting lowest mpg on Costco gasoline and BMW would light up check engine light for excessive gasoline vapor leak, but I would never get same problem with Shell, Sunoco, BP or Exxon. So I would not say it's a good news. The cheap is nor meaning good.
It all comes from the same trough no matter what name you stick to it. I know because I haul the stuff. Your issues are bigger than the fuel you are buying.

Lolas Dad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Plus it was a known carcinogen!
When they put it in they raised the price at the pump because of MTBE. When they discovered how bad the stuff was for ground water etc, they raised the prices at the pump again because they had to refine without it. Either way the oil companies are making record profits and laughing all the way to the bank.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
The only gas engines I don't put Costco gas in are my small equipment engines because they're now putting ethanol in their gas, so the little guys get Cenex from the convenience store just down the road. Never had a problem with Costco gas here or anywhere else I've used it. If the Costco here starts selling diesel I'll at least give it a try.

Many years ago, likely 40 or more, when all the major brands were claiming the very best mileage and power for their gas Road & Track ran a test and found that they all worked the same as far as mileage and performance. Many things are in the eye of the beholder and nothing more.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I agree with comments above, In my state (Oregon) all pump fuel is a even playing field:

Unleaded is now E-10
Diesel is now B5 S15 ULSD

* Ethanol free fuel is finally available for classic cars, marine + lawn & garden engines :D
* non bio S15 is available in Washington, I pick up 5 gallons every year for my new Kubota BX2320

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Yankinwaoz: Could you ask the moderator to merge your 2 threads? It's easier to follow if all the discussion is in one thread...and it is a worthy discussion, IMHO!
Thanks.

doctorx

TDI
2013 Jetta
omg... i want this so bad! Around here, it is the best gasoline you can buy. When i had my 09 corolla, it ran fantastic on the stuff compared to the other stations around here.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
I have a hard time buying some of the things in this thread. Every day we drive past the big tank farm (Marathon is on the sign) outside the metropolitan area we live West of. Every day tankers with all the brands under the sun are lining up and pulling through, loading up on product. While I understand that the additives spec'd to be put in each truck can vary, the fuel is obviously the same.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I fill up at "superstore" which is part of a grocery chain in Western Canada that always has the best deal. Using my Superstore branded Mastercard, I get a $0.07 per litre rebate coupon towards purchases on groceries, and every $1000 spent gets me an additional $20 rebate to spend in the store. Fueled up yesterday, my net cost was US$4.02 / gallon. By comparison Shell's diesel is going for US$4.35 / gallon in my area.

Just like Costco, I also see tanker trucks from several different national brands rolling through that station. I've never had a problem with fuel from Superstore but there's no way to know what brand they're selling at any given moment. In Canada, retailers are regulated to offer a quality of diesel (cetane, lubricity, etc) that meets or exceeds a national standard. That's good enough for me.

Drive more, worry less.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
So, we're discussing Costco. You're right that the base fuel they'll purchase is identical to what every tanker that pulls up to the tank farm receives.

Yes, all fuel is the same from the pipeline.

However, because every tanker has the option of additizing or not, depending on who is leasing the tanker at the time, the fuel that is delivered to the fuel retailer is possibly different.

At this point, it is still unknown how Costco will or will not additize their fuel.

Last edited: