Blue tooth cuts voice turn-by-turn NAV in phone

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
I noticed that the only way to get my voice turn-by-turn instructions (via Droid Eris on Verizon/Android) with my base head unit for my 2011 JSW is to either:

1) Temporarily disable blue tooth (not an option)

2) Use the "BT Audio" feature of the sound system

The second option works well enough, but the problem is it overrides music! (i.e. You only here the voice instructions and silence in between.)

What I would like to do is one of two options:

1) Have the turn-by-turn voice over the radio, as in coming from the phone (as it does with my Garmin Nuvi)

2) Have the BT Audio function but then return to the previous media that was playing in between instructions

My guess is that BT Audio was designed with streaming media in mind, like Pandora or the Sirius app for smart phones.

Thoughts? Is what I want possible??

Last edited:

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
2) Use the "BT Audio" feature of the sound system

The second option works well enough, but the problem is it overrides music! (i.e. You only here the voice instructions and silence in between.)

What I would like to do is one of two options:

As far as I know, our phones are basically the same, just named differently for different carriers. I'm on AT&T with the HTC Aria.

I don't have this problem that you are experiencing. I've listened to Pandora and used the Google NAV feature of my phone at the same time extensively with no problem.

I simply start Pandora and once it's streaming I hit the home screen button on the phone, go to the Google map, input my destination and hit NAV. It continues to play music until the need for NAV input arises. It then dips the music volume to announce and then the music comes back up.

Have you tried that sequence? I don't know how long you've had your phone but you might want to check for a firmware update. I've had mine from the middle of June and haven't had issues.

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
The only thing that I didn't cover which may be of some help is that the car has to be started first.

1) Start car
2) Pandora
3) Nav and/or anything else

My only gripe is that if the car gets turned off, obviously the phone doesn't stop streaming or NAV, when the car is restarted, it doesn't seem to pick up Pandora again. I have to re-initiate Pandora after the car is turned off, even though Pandora never stopped streaming. Perhaps there's a work around for this but I haven't bothered trying anything.

I really enjoy this capability with the HTC phone and JSW.

itchytweed

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I have the same issue and I think that it is the fault of the phone and the way BT works. There are two interfaces over BT, the BT-Audio (streaming A2DP) and the BT telephone interface. On Gretchen, with her RCD unit, if a phone call comes in, the display says telephone and then the cars acts like a BT headset. Otherwise, I have to select the BT-Audio option, blocking the rest of the radio, to hear streaming audio from the cellphone.

The trick here would be, IMHO, is to send the map program voice through the BT hands-free telephone port and not the BT-Audio A2DP port. That would have to be done in the phone. Now, how you would be able to reassign the audio is the fun part.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the same issue and I think that it is the fault of the phone and the way BT works. There are two interfaces over BT, the BT-Audio (streaming A2DP) and the BT telephone interface. On Gretchen, with her RCD unit, if a phone call comes in, the display says telephone and then the cars acts like a BT headset. Otherwise, I have to select the BT-Audio option, blocking the rest of the radio, to hear streaming audio from the cellphone.

The trick here would be, IMHO, is to send the map program voice through the BT hands-free telephone port and not the BT-Audio A2DP port. That would have to be done in the phone. Now, how you would be able to reassign the audio is the fun part.
Thanks, and I think you are correct. It's as if the phone is sending the voice to the wrong place. And when I look in my bluetooth settings, I see that the status for VW PHONE is "paired and connected to media" with a headset icon next to it. My other car would always just say "paired and connected", and with no icon.

Canyonlands - I hadn't thought of using Pandora and Google Nav simultaneously with BT Audio. Good suggestion!

However, I would still prefer the full scale of media the radio is capable of. :(

Last edited:

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
My phone is "paired and connected" or "paired but not connected".

Google Nav pipes in with directions over the car audio, regardless of what I've been doing with the audio head unit. I haven't tested it while playing CDs or DVDs.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
My phone is "paired and connected" or "paired but not connected".

Google Nav pipes in with directions over the car audio, regardless of what I've been doing with the audio head unit. I haven't tested it while playing CDs or DVDs.

Try it, I don't think it will work. (At least, it hasn't for me or itchytweed.) But I like your suggestion too. Maybe I could use Pandora when I need to use the NAV (?) :cool:

Thanks again

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
Try it, I don't think it will work. (At least, it hasn't for me or itchytweed.) But I like your suggestion too. Maybe I could use Pandora when I need to use the NAV (?) :cool:

Thanks again

The statement "Try it, ..." has me thinking there's a chance that you didn't get what I was getting at.

When my phone is paired it shows "paired and connected".

My Aria and the car radio seem to work fully together, to include while listening to music played from an SD card. I haven't played a CD and tried NAV because I'm very satisfied with Pandora and Slacker.

Perhaps it's how your phone is paired. Good luck.