anti-seize on re-assembly

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
I've finally tackled the cleaning of the intake manifold on my 2000 Golf. The video from the cincitdi club made the job pretty easy, definitely worth the price.

I'm at the point of re-assembling things and would like to know the prevailing wisdom of using anti-seize or perhaps locktite on the various bolts.

Thanks

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
paramedick said:
Nope, don't do it. Fasteners need to be tightened snugly and that's all.
What about corrosion in Wisconsin? I guess as long as there is no corrosion on the bolts threads, all will be fine. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks paramedic, you're the man! The video was of great help. Though, I did find that removing the EGR cooler made the job easier. In removeing the EGR cooler I found that it was almost entirely clogged so I cleaned that as well.

Too I see that there is some gunk in the hose from the intercooler. Should I be real worried about that?

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrosion...?

Oh, you're referring to the gillions of tons of road salt that are dumped on our roads and lakes for 5 monthes out of the year?;)

The only bolts that were badly corroded were those connecting the flex pipe back to the exhaust manifold and those connecting the heatshield to the turbo.

The last time the intake was cleaned was at the stealer. They had apparently used some kind of locktite on the intake bolts. There was actually some kind of hardened, beige goo on the heads of the intake bolts. I had to tap the hex wrench into the bolt heads before I could get even begin to loosen them. And then it took quite a bit of force to get them loose.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Don't worry about the oil in the intercooler pathway. It will go away with the liberal application of the right pedal.

Yup, I've had a few cars that the dealer had touched the intake. EVERY fastener was overtorqued. In that case, bolt-outs are your friend.

The main place I see problems are the two studs/nuts on the heat shield, and the two nuts on the EGR pipe/exhaust manifold. The heat shield studs come out of the exhaust manifold 90% of the time. No biggie, just thread them back in. The copper nuts on the exhaust manifold come out fairly easily with a shot of PB blaster and a 6 point SHORT socket. Use a deepwell socket and studs can be broken. I always install new copper nuts when reassembling.

thermopylaetech

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Variant TDi/PD
Bogie, that sounds like cavity wax which when oversprayed on complete fixtures works like cosmoline and locks out corrosion. Removing it sucks.