What is this turbo and IP from?

Sven M

TDI
1.9 in an '82 Pickup
Hi All,
I've got an '82 Pickup that I put a 1.9 crate motor in (the first type of 1.9 with the stamped metal rocker cover with three bolts in the middle). I bought this turbo and injection pump and parts off of ebay from someone in England. I want to say it was from a Passat but I could be wrong. Can any of you tell me what it is off of and what years it was used? Will this work on my 1.9? What else do I need to use this on my truck? Wiring harness, computer and gas pedal right? Anything else? I need to know what year cars to look for in the junk yard to get these parts.
The numbers on the Injection pump are:
028 130 109 H
0 460 404 994
Turbo:
T15
0281 45701Q
S/N XG 208160 F
454083-1
I put the motor in my truck in the early 2000s which is when I bought the turbo and IP but I never installed it and just used the 1.6 IP and injectors. A few years back the 1.6 IP crapped out on me and I am finally going to get it running again and I figured I might as well put the turbo and the 1.9 IP in. Thank you for any and all help.
Sven

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not from anything sold here. Early car of some sort.

Is the 1.9L you installed a DI engine or a prechamber engine?

oilhammer

TDI
They look very different. All TDIs have an electronic pump (from the factory), and have the long slender injectors like the ones pictured, with the glow plugs coming almost straight up the top/front of the head, near the injectors.

The IDI (prechamber) engines are all mechanical injection, have big chunky old school injectors that thread into the head, and the glow plugs are below the injectors at a right angle, coming out sideways, with #1 and #2 buried behind the pump.

Volkswagen never sold an IDI 1.9L diesel here, however they did sell them for a few years in Canada, code AAZ. They are a 75hp turbo diesel.

Do you have a pic of the engine in your truck?

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
sounds like the 1.9 he put in is an AAZ. he ran it with a 1.6 pump.
an IDI has the round injectors that thread into the head.
the turbo set up looks something like an early 1Z. i donno about eurpoean or UK TDIs, but that egr looks like an early pre-egr w/o cooler, for a TDI, not an IDI, the pump too. although the pins look quite corroded.

Sven M

TDI
1.9 in an '82 Pickup
I found some pictures from when I put the motor in in 2004 and I've included one below. The motor was made for use in a generator and I found a spec sheet for an ADG motor which may be what it is. So indirect injection.

So the injectors won't work for sure but is there a way to use the injection pump and or turbo? Or do I need to find an AAZ injection pump?

That's actually dust on the pins not corrosion. I should have brushed it off before I took the picture, sorry.

Sven M

TDI
1.9 in an '82 Pickup
Thank you guys for all the help. Now that I know what I have I'm finding the info I need. After a quick search it looks like the 1.6 injectors will work fine and I should find an AAZ pump and swap the boost pin onto it from the 1.6 pump or just use the 1.6 pump. Thanks again.

norel

TDI
2004 alh wagon, 91 golf 1z, 05 golf, 05 passat, 06 jetta
You can probably still buy landrover tdi boost pins new. The local pump shop was able to order them for me a couple years ago when I was trying to find one for an aaz. I'm pretty sure the best options (most fuel) were rover > 1.6 > 1.9.

oilhammer

TDI
The stuff you have (pump, injectors, etc.) will not work with your 1.9L IDI engine, sorry.

You *may* be able to get the turbocharger to work, but you'd need some way to control it, and for best results, a pump that works with it. In other words, you need to find all the AAZ stuff.

Sven M

TDI
1.9 in an '82 Pickup
The stuff you have (pump, injectors, etc.) will not work with your 1.9L IDI engine, sorry.
You *may* be able to get the turbocharger to work, but you'd need some way to control it, and for best results, a pump that works with it. In other words, you need to find all the AAZ stuff.
Yes, thanks. Not a big deal really. It looks like I can use the turbo if I can find a 1.6 or 1.9 TD pump. Unfortunately I won’t find that in any junk yard here in the states but I’ll start looking on e-bay.