Squeal after replacing turbo

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
2006 BRM, upgraded turbo to brand new GTB1749V from Darkside Developments, also deleted EGR, installed a EGR block plate with EGT port:
https://www.idparts.com/exhaust-turbo-manifold-block-off-plate-egt-port-p-3070.html (used J-B weld High heat to make sure there is no leak on the EGT port when I have installed the EGT probe, also had to make some minor adjustments with a drill bit to the two mounting holes in the plate to align them with the turbo mounting studs, no J-B weld on them).
I have also installed a used 3" downpipe, I have noticed that the I have a small exhaust leak where the downpipe connects to the turbo (the downpipe flange has a small crack from the previous owner). I did not think too much about it, since it is after the turbo, and I will fix the leak tomorrow. As soon as I started the engine I got a squealing noise, if I remove the vacuum line to turbo the squealing stops. The turbo oil feed line is installed, all the hoses are in good order, new turbo gasket installed, turbo nuts torqued correctly. See the two videos I have recorded and let me know what you think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQZ0UV_1QSY&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8vvHGO5B4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That sounds to me like the turbo isn't getting sufficient oil flow. Did you use a new supply line?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd check the braided supply hose carefully for any kinks. Your video sounded like metal on metal contact, probably best not to run it anymore until you can examine the lubrication situation.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd check the braided supply hose carefully for any kinks. Your video sounded like metal on metal contact, probably best not to run it anymore until you can examine the lubrication situation.
Double checked the braided oil feed line, there are no obstructions. I guess the next step will be to disconnect the oil feed line at the turbo and turn on briefly the engine to see if any oil comes out the feed line.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Could be a boost leak. Try spraying some soapy water around the connections and look for bubbles.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I was saying exhaust leak at the turbo but maybe a boost leak too. Or vacuum. Can’t rule everything out til it’s all checked.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
As above really, i do hope you did replace exhaust manifold to turbo gaskets, there is the leak potential. I would also make sure all bolts are nipped up as a loose bolt will cause uneven clamping pressure and favorise leaks...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I think it sounds like you have a leak. I changed out my turbo last year and forgot to tighten two of the egr bolts, they were just finger tight, started it up and what a noise, worse than your video.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope you guys are right and it is indeed a leak. I have used a new exhaust manifold to turbo gasket (came with the turbo). I'll recheck everything in the weekend.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I had that exact same squeal. It was the EGR block off plate and gasket. The plate was bought from some vendor on here that was aluminum. It had different thermal properties than steel and ended up bending just enough to allow the steel gasket to act like a reed. You know, like a saxophone or clarinet reed. One of your gaskets is making that noise. My bet is your EGR delete gasket on the turbo.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
I had that exact same squeal. It was the EGR block off plate and gasket. The plate was bought from some vendor on here that was aluminum. It had different thermal properties than steel and ended up bending just enough to allow the steel gasket to act like a reed. You know, like a saxophone or clarinet reed. One of your gaskets is making that noise. My bet is your EGR delete gasket on the turbo.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't have a chance to check on the car, as I have it 40 miles away in a friend's barn, but when I"ll get to it, that will be the first thing I'll do.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
Fixed the issue: it was the EGR block plate leaking exhaust. Replaced the gasket and plate , all is good now.