Audi Q5 TDI

stagman

TDI
2005 NB
Saw a brand new one yesterday and thought, "Finally!"

Don't know if anyone else is as happy to see one as I was, but to me it was a no-brainer to drop that engine in the 5.
Now if only VW would continue on this logical track and drop one in the Tiguan as well, like they do in Yurp.

Now there's an alternative to the ugly MB mini-ute.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I saw one today as well, it had a Audi VIP shuttle decal on it probably from queensway Audi

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
They have the 3.0l tdi engine, they have also added the same engine to A6, 7 and 8 cars.

I just wish the Q5 would have come with a smaller engine like the HO 2.0tdi. But i guess it was cheaper for Audi to just use the one engine and certify it.

stagman

TDI
2005 NB
They have the 3.0l tdi engine, they have also added the same engine to A6, 7 and 8 cars.

I just wish the Q5 would have come with a smaller engine like the HO 2.0tdi. But i guess it was cheaper for Audi to just use the one engine and certify it.

Really?

That's too bad; the 2.0 would've been perfect in the 5. Cheaper too.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Audi A6, $82K, quattro 3.0L TDI. I see the A8 gets the 4.2L option in Europe, WHAT WOULD THAT COST?

Ashleigh2006

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI and 2001 Jetta TDI (278k miles)
Saw a brand new one yesterday and thought, "Finally!"

Don't know if anyone else is as happy to see one as I was, but to me it was a no-brainer to drop that engine in the 5.
Now if only VW would continue on this logical track and drop one in the Tiguan as well, like they do in Yurp.

Now there's an alternative to the ugly MB mini-ute.
I just bought a Q5 TDI and the engine is mounted longitudinally.
Isn't the Tiguan's engine mounted transversely?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Tiggy is based on the Golf (transverse engine). The Q5 is based on the Audi A4 (longitudinal). They are a totally different vehicle from one another. FWD/AWD makes no difference.

However, there is no logical reason they could not use the 4cyl TDI in the Q5, as they do elsewhere and they put the 4cyl gasser in there. I guess since they know people will buy them with the more profitable V6....

I'd rather just have the A4 with a diesel. :cool:

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
No logic at all. I see benz puts 2.5 diesel in S class and GLK, Audi puts the bigger engine in their small and large cars.

Most Tdi drivers like the fuel economy hence why they drive diesels. So putting the 2tdi in q5 would have made more sense imo.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Its puzzling. The Q7/Touareg is big enough for the 3.0V6 TDI. The Q5 and the 3.0V6 TDI is overkill.

I don't understand why their North American decisions are so idiotic. Even something like the Tiguan or the B6 passat, I would buy it in a heartbeat but only if it came with a reasonable TDI engine. I wouldn't ever buy a 1.8T/2.0T 91 Octane engine ever again as a daily driver, especially with 4-motion and the prices of gas these days.

Last edited:

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
Its puzzling. The Q7/Touareg is big enough for the 3.0V6 TDI. The Q5 and the 3.0V6 TDI is overkill.

I don't understand why their North American decisions are so idiotic. Even something like the Tiguan or the B6 passat, I would buy it in a heartbeat but only if it came with a reasonable TDI engine. I wouldn't ever buy a 1.8T/2.0T 91 Octane engine ever again as a daily driver, especially with 4-motion and the prices of gas these days.
the new 1.8t uses regular

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I think it would work very well. That big TDI would bearly work and should run efficient. Remember, it's Audi we are talking about. Bigger price with buyers wanting all the bells and whistles. I'd want the big TDI engine too.