Prime the fuel filter

Hexar

TDI
1983 Rabbit Turbo Diesel 1999 VW Jetta TDI
Hi Guys,
I changed my fuel filter on my 99 Jetta this morning, primed it, but did not fill the filter all the way to the top with diesel (I run out of "standalone" diesel), now, it gives lots of smoke, and I can see foams in the clear fule line from the filter to the pump.

I have run the engine for about 5 minutes, hoping the air will be pumped out somehow, but I still have lots of air in the line.

Do I need to prime the filter all the way to the top?

Thanks!
Wenbiao

Hexar

TDI
Oh, when I say "fill the filter" I mean: I toke a jar of diesel and pour it in to the filter through the big hole (where the valve is connected), using a funnel, since I don't have any vancum sucking device.

Hexar

TDI
Siphon'ed some diesel from the tank, :eek: vegetable oil must taste better. :D

Fill up the filter with diesel all the way to the top, and it seems the bubbles and foams are gone, I still got some black smoke, I guess it is probably related to my advancing the pump yesterday.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
If it will not purge on its own by driving - then you may need to bleed the injectors. Do a search over in 101 about fuel filters.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
wjdell said:
If it will not purge on its own by driving - then you may need to bleed the injectors. Do a search over in 101 about fuel filters.
__. My experience is limited (both of my cars and MzLauraLee's waggin have the CAT filter kit so we run 60-80K per filter) in that I've hardly ever changed a filter but I've seen a little rough running for a few seconds after a change. They do a real good job of self-purging. Is there a highway that you can go on a 10-mile drive (10 miles out and 10 back)? If you're still having trouble after that, you've got a problem to find -- may or may not be a filter related problem.

__. Driving moves *much* more fuel (and purges much more air) in 5-10 minutes than idling.