What tools for BEW turbo swap?

BarefootJetta

TDI
04 Jetta MKIV
Hey guys, going to replace the turbo on my 04 Jetta bew. Looking for recommendations on best online shop to order a stock turbo from. Who's got the best price?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The turbo in your car should be a Borg Warner KP-39.

If you are at all interested in allowing for future power upgrades, you could install this, which is cheaper: https://www.idparts.com/garrett-vnt-17-turbocharger-a4-bew-p-761.html

If you want to keep your EGR system functional, make sure to select the check-box to add the EGR cooler pipe for $60. It's a bit longer than the stock one and is required when switching to the VNT-17 turbo.

So combined, those cost $859.

To get the original stock turbo is $929
https://www.idparts.com/borg-warner-kp39-turbocharger-a4-bew-p-1332.html

The VNT-17 is a "stock" turbo for the 150HP European version of your car, so it just bolts right in, other than the need for switching that EGR pipe.

Once you have the VNT-17, you can run it with a stock car, or, you can add a 3 Bar MAP sensor for about $40 or so, and then get a performance tune to increase your power to about 170 HP. You'd need a new clutch to support that though...so that gets expensive.

If you just want to use it in the stock configuration, the VNT-17 will probably outlast the original KP-39 because it's a lot bigger and won't be working as hard.

There would be a small amount of extra lag with the VNT-17, unless you get the car tuned, but it's not too bad. I do have a tune, but I've also driven with that turbo on the stock programming and it's fine.

BarefootJetta

TDI
04 Jetta MKIV
OK, I bit the bullet and bought the vnt17 from idparts. Now what tools do I need? I'm a Cummins tech so I probably have what I need but I'm in Wisconsin and the car is in Arkansas. So, I want to pack what's necessary not the whole tool box.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk