I'm tired of the shiny "VW" on my steering wheel

slideshowmike

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm the proud owner of a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen. I love the car but there are a couple of things to nit pick about. What bothers me most is the "VW" emblem (or is it badge?) on the center of the steering wheel. Why the designers thought it was a good idea to have the VW part shiny and reflective I do not know. With the panoramic sunroof open, I get sunlight reflected into my eyes more often than I like.

Does anyone know of a replacement for the VW emblem/badge? Would love to replace the silver/reflective emblem with something that was black and/or non-reflective? Can it be done without too much difficulty - it seems like you could just pry off the existing one, and pop in a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any leads or suggestions - but spare me the "throw on some sunglasses" idea.

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
Just let my wife drive it awhile. She'll have it scratched and scuffed down to a satin or matte finish in short order. As a bonus, she'll also install little sprinkles of makeup around on your instrument panel, as well as spill drops of soft drink on the console.

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
if you take some sand paper, you can actually sand the shine out. you'll be left with a silver emblem, without all the glossy shin. i wish i had a picture to show you.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Review the classified section and look for posts by PHAT-DUB. I am in the process of getting some badge skins and he makes them!

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Or you could tape off the entire steering wheel, and enclose it in a plastic "cave" for lack of a better word, then paint it. I am planning on doing just that in a couple of weeks, and will post pics.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Yeah, the mk5's have a large VW emblem... I miss the Mk3 days...