VW "Turbo Diesel" steering wheel logo

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
I just discovered this gem... it's for the 4-button steering wheel, which fits any pre-late-1989 VW. Jetta and Quantum TDs came with this wheel, but I've never seen this logo until now.

It's VW part number 171 419 669P 01C, and Impex has it for $8.00. :)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Neat! That looks just like the lettering on the front grill of the old Jetta TDs. My '85 TD had the same steering wheel, but no lettering in the center rubber pull out. Just plain. I ended up installing a Wolfsburg Crest from a '56 Bug I had years ago in the center of the steering wheel. I removed the Crest, of course, when I sold the Jetta a couple of years back. Now, I need to install the Crest in the '04. Perhaps on the dashboard, because of the airbag in the steering wheel.

--Nate

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
compu_85 said:
Hmm. There isn't a diesel only logo is there?
-Jason
I dunno... I can't even find the Turbo Diesel wheel cap in ETKA, so I dunno if there is a corresponding Diesel one.

The Audi 5000 TD did get a Turbo Diesel wheel cap, but it was a different style than this, and my non-turbo 5000 Diesel only had a plain two-spoke wheel with the normal Audi logo on it.

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
vwestlife said:
I dunno... I can't even find the Turbo Diesel wheel cap in ETKA, so I dunno if there is a corresponding Diesel one.

The Audi 5000 TD did get a Turbo Diesel wheel cap, but it was a different style than this, and my non-turbo 5000 Diesel only had a plain two-spoke wheel with the normal Audi logo on it.
If they had a regular diesel center cap, that'd be too cool for school. I just did an Impex search on the turbo diesel cap, and it comes up as an obsolote part with $0.00 as the price. I guess they must have sold out?

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
Beowulf said:
If they had a regular diesel center cap, that'd be too cool for school. I just did an Impex search on the turbo diesel cap, and it comes up as an obsolote part with $0.00 as the price. I guess they must have sold out?
Yikes, I guess so... even www.1stvwparts.com doesn't list it anymore. :(

Of course, if you had a good scan of the logo and a CNC machine on hand, you could take a regular cap and etch in the logo yourself. ;)

estimatd

TDI
82 Caddy TDI, 90 Corrado g60 that should be TDI
man I want one of these extremely bad

DC_Stewart

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup
I just tried ordering 2 from Impex and was told that the part number is obsolete and no longer available.
I do, however, have just that center in a nice leather wheel that I'll swap for a nice wood wheel with brushed spokes:rolleyes: