Temperature guage not working.

dvsails

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 05 TDI Wagon
Go figure, I just picked up a new temperature sensor and on the way home from the dealer (Can't call him stealer this time, they only charged $8.91 Cdn) I got a temperature reading for the first time in several weeks. Does this thing actually work when it's laying on the passenger seat?
After about 15 minutes under the hood, in the cold rain, still hadn't found where the thing is actually to be installed.
Can someone please point me in the right direction?
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
What year of car? Assuming an A4, If its a 5 speed, there are 3 coolant glowplugs on the drivers side of the engine. Located directly behind & below those is the coolant temp sensor. If its automatic, look for the vacuum pump. Its the aluminum hockey puck looking thing on the drivers side of the head. Again, behind and below that. Hope that helps.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Stealer might be the right term. I am guessing they sold you the incorrect one. Or you have a newer model that has the less expensive one. Mine was $26 american from a less expensive place than the stealer! /images/graemlins/smile.gif When mine went out, I bought a new one. I unplugged my old one and then plugged it back in (electircal socket). I decided to get an O ring first. The gauge worked fine for almost six months so I kept putting it off. I finally had to replace my glow plug harness and went ahead and replaced the sensor. Not a whit of a problem since!

dvsails

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 05 TDI Wagon
Thanks for the quick reply! I know where to look now. By the way, it's a 2000 Jetta TDI. I think the part is the correct one since the parts guy said quote: "Yeah, I'm sure it's the right one because we go through a lot of them".
/images/graemlins/smile.gif