Dodge Dart doing 59MPG? ofc...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I am curious, in Canada do they use the US gallon or the Imperial gallon. 59 MPG Imperial is about 49 mpg in US gallons. I do not know which they are talking about, but either one is actually pretty good. However, saying fuel consumption is "as low as" 59mpg leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Who got that 59mpg and how did they do it. It is actually pretty easy getting that kind of mileage when going downhill on a long mountain road.

That said, Can you get that little 1.4 L engine in the US? I do not know.

Have Fun!

Don

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
They use Imperial Gallons, and they lie.

VW could say my Golf gets 93 MPG because when cruising on level ground at about 75 km/h it uses about 3L/100km (according to VCDS).

VW doesn't have to lie to sell cars.

When people think of what mileage a car gets, what they really want to know is how much fuel they will have to buy to drive the thing around under normal conditions. For example, drive it 10,000 miles and figure out how much fuel is going to cost.

When a manufacturer gives some inflated number, that is only true under very specific circumstances, which will most certainly not be achieved the majority of the time, that's lying. " It gets 100 MPG!* "

*When coasting slightly downhill with a tailwind... Otherwise it's just a bit better than a Dodge Ram Truck.

Last edited:

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
They use Imperial Gallons, and they lie.

VW could say my Golf gets 93 MPG because when cruising on level ground at about 75 km/h it uses about 3L/100km (according to VCDS).

VW doesn't have to lie to sell cars.
For your car, the revised NRCAN Fuel consumption ratings are as follows:

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF TDI DIESEL - M5 - 7.4 / 5.6 L / 100 km

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF TDI DIESEL - M5 - 32 / 42 US MPG

Marketing materials would had advertised "61 MPG" for your car. (Imperial gallons on old rating scale)

Last edited:

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
For your car, the revised NRCAN Fuel consumption ratings are as follows:

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF TDI DIESEL - M5 - 7.4 / 5.6 L / 100 km

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF TDI DIESEL - M5 - 32 / 42 US MPG

Marketing materials would had advertised "61 MPG" for your car. (Imperial gallons on old rating scale)
Why does the Jetta TDI 2000 fuel consumption is less than the newer 2014 TDI model? That makes no sense to me, didnt they improved nothing in terms of fuel economy in 15 years??

Jetta TDI 2000 fuel consumption

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
Why does the Jetta TDI 2000 fuel consumption is less than the newer 2014 TDI model? That makes no sense to me, didnt they improved nothing in terms of fuel economy in 15 years??
They make 140hp instead of 90hp, that is what they improved. And it make 236 ft lbs of torque vs 155 ft lbs.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI

They make 140hp instead of 90hp, that is what they improved. And it make 236 ft lbs of torque vs 155 ft lbs.
Yep, it's a bigger and more powerful engine in a bigger and heavier car. Not all "improvements" are made to mileage. Power takes fuel and more power takes more fuel. There is no magic and no conspiracy here, just simple physics. The good news is that the 2015 engines have more power (a little) and better mileage than the 2014 VWs because of changes in the emissions control system.

Have Fun!

Don

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Yeah, and steadily more restrictive emissions controls.

The more powerful engine in newer cars is provided to help you outrun the rampant Polar Bear population which has been able to grow un-checked since the scourge of diesel powered passenger cars has been brought into line over those 15 years. Be careful out there, it's like the zombie apocalypse, but with Polar Bears and Penguins.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Back in 1981 the fuel consumption of TDIs have been the exact same if not less than TDIs of today. I just realise how in 34 years the automotive world have not changed in terms of fuel economy.
The fact that the fuel efficiency has not changed significantly is a real testament to today's technology. The efficiency has not changed, but the cars have changed a lot. Today's VWs are bigger, heavier, cleaner, quieter, and much safer. I am amazed that they could do all of this without taking a hit on mileage. It is all about how you view the data. The mileage staying the same could be good or bad depending on point of view.

Have Fun!

Don

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yep pretty amazing if you really think about it. Economy hasn't changed and/or increased slightly, yet the conditions the car must meet for emissions and safety and such have changed drastically. I consider my Passat a wonder car kind of for all it is and the economy it can achieve. There is really no other vehicle out there to match it.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Yep pretty amazing if you really think about it. Economy hasn't changed and/or increased slightly, yet the conditions the car must meet for emissions and safety and such have changed drastically. I consider my Passat a wonder car kind of for all it is and the economy it can achieve. There is really no other vehicle out there to match it.
I have a 2004 Passat wagon (probably a heavier car) with a five speed manual transmission. On a mix 50/50 (hyw/city) driving, it is averaging 36 to 37 MPG (US). On the highway, going 70 MPH with four passengers and luggage, I get around 40 MPG (and it is very comfortable too). With a cargo of almost 40 cubic feet it is lights year ahead in terms of performance to efficiency ratio of many other similarly sized SUVs/vehicles in the US.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Actually the fuel economy of the new models has improved a lot. You just can't buy those ones in the USA... (Golf BlueMotion 80 MPG, etc...)

So, it's nothing to do with technology and everything to do with politics, tariffs, consumer demand, etc.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
As pointed out above, the Canadian advertisement is using imperial gallons, which are 20% larger than US gal.
41 x 1.2= 49.2

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Isn't it 41imperial/1.2 = 34.2 us mpg?
no. The 41 mpg claim was from the US site:
Here is the link to the US Dodge Aero.

http://www.dodge.com/en/dart/model_details/#model=aero

It lists 41 MPG* highway
But the OP link was for Canada:
On their website, Dodge says the Dodge Dart 1.4L turbo 2014 does 59MPG...
http://www.dodge.ca/en/2014/dart/DART_AERO

Do you think this can be for real or is this a scam?
Here's a nifty conversion chart:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/fuel_consumption.htm

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
As pointed out above, the Canadian advertisement is using imperial gallons, which are 20% larger than US gal.
41 x 1.2= 49.2

If you're talking to me, I clearly have the US model linked. If not, carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're talking to me, I clearly have the US model linked. If not, carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But you also referenced the Canadian estimate of 59mpg in the OP, no?
If you hover the cursor over the red + sign it says that 41 highway is the manufacturers estimate and YMMV..
I find that hilarious.. "We think it gets 60 mpg, but your results may vary"
Edit: I just realized that the OP showed 59, not 49 mpg. This additional difference is likely due to Canada using a different fuel economy test method.
Sorry for any confusion I added. :D

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
This additional difference is likely due to Canada using a different fuel economy test method.
Most likely as EPA and NRCAN numbers for the same car do not match.

I am closer to the EPA number on my car.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
My parents had two of the Darts with 6 speeds and 1.4 turbos. Their fuel economy was spot on with the U.S. claims, around 40 mpg highway, but the mileage can drop into the low twenties in the city while trying to keep up with traffic. They're great little cars for the price, but they just sold both Darts this week and replaced them with a new Cummins and a Golf TDI.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
41 MPG sounds good until you factor in needing to run super instead of RUG. Then it's kinda pitiful. The Focus SFI and Mazda3 Skyactive will do 40 running regular.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
41 MPG sounds good until you factor in needing to run super instead of RUG. Then it's kinda pitiful. The Focus SFI and Mazda3 Skyactive will do 40 running regular.
The 1.4 Dart runs fine with regular and can still hit 39-40 mpg on the highway.