simple turned into engine light on....

Cool_Breeze

TDI
Jetta 2009 RED
All i wanted to do was change my air filter, un connect the maf, unclamp the large air hose, then the little hose, unscrew the 2 screws, remove the top,remove the old filter,clean out the box. replace filter. reassemble in reverse order...Fairly simple....Jetta worked fine before this all took place...sigh...ENGINE LIGHT ON....I am goin to assume from all my reading about MAF's it seems the connectors are "shackey" and i need to clean this connector and use a di-electric compound....how is this connector cleaned and is the compound easy to get, because i have never used it before,i quess napa auto parts will have this? So i quess my question is how to clean it and where to get the compound and will the engine light go out once i have done this.... and by the way i have 98k on this jetta

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Whoa - Did you hook the vacuum line back up? Both ends of it? You didn't mess with the MAF inside the air tube did you? Did you completely hook up the MAF connector, so it is locked on? As to cleaning the electrical plug, just get some spray on electrical cleaner from Radio Shack and spray it on the connections. The follow with some CRC Di-Electric Grease from a auto parts store.

The Check Engine Light could be completely unrelated. You will have to have someone plug in to see what the code is. Unless you know someone with VAG-Com, you will need someone with a OBD-II code reader. They can read the code and also clear it. Check the "VAG-Com List" at top of this page to see if there is someone in your area to hook up with.

Cool_Breeze

TDI
Jetta 2009 RED
Tried the Spray...

No i didn't mess around with the MAF at all. I have changed the air fillter several times before the same way. Tried the Radio Shack cleaner because i had some and didn't help the light its still on seems though to run fine. What my wife said was is that after traveling 10 miles the light came on (didnt find this out till the next morning). So i am not sure what it is..... do any auto parts places have the code checker thing and check it for me or will i have to go to VW and bend over?

Last edited:

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Auto Zone, AutoAdvantage, or any of the big chains should check it for free. Write down the code and problem. Bring them back here. They probably will not clear it for you. Maybe a coolant temp sensor or glow plug fault.

Did you check the VAG-Com List? Think there are a couple guys near you. Never go to VW and bend over! Only go there when you don't have to bend over.

arrowsmithdzlperformance

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Estate TDI
did the same this weekend, and one of my vacume hoses was pinched off in the bend, straightened it out and the CEL went out later that day. I presume the code will pop up when I get it checked next but the car runs awsome so Im not concerned at all about anything else.

Check Vacume hoses.