Radical change in Average fuel consumtion

sspoto

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI nav
I have a 2014 Passat TDI SE with nav. It has 1260 miles. I've noticed the average fuel consumption display showing 41-47 mpg with 3 fill-ups for my type of driving. After the last fill up yesterday I noticed that it has dropped to 33-37 mpg range. Is it possible to get a bad batch of diesel fuel ?

DieselBruce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Could be anything. Could be wind, weather, lots of traffic, lots of regen cycles for some reason. Lots of variables. Give it another tank and see what happens. Also, don't trust the display. Manually calculate it or else you have no idea what you're actually getting.

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
It has 1200 miles on it.. Give it 40,000 more.

and stop paying attention to the dream meter, hand calculate mileage or use an app to track it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
It has 1200 miles on it.. Give it 40,000 more.

and stop paying attention to the dream meter, hand calculate mileage or use an app to track it.

If it isn't hand calculated, it's just an electronic estimate.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Did you reset avg fuel economy display at fuel up? How has your driving been since the fill up - short drive home that involved stop/go? When I leave home or work for my commute, my trip mpg starts low and keeps climbing until the end of my 23 mile commute. Sometimes during the day, if I'm in and out of my car several times with customers, the trip mpg doesn't start from 0 unless it's been more than 2 hours, and by the time I leave work again, my trip average is in the low 30's. But by the time I get home, it's back up into the 40's again.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Three fill-ups in 1260 miles? Are you filling up when the needle hits half a tank? Either way, the MFI can be handy as a rough gauge, but shouldn't be taken seriously for indicating any sort of problem. Hand calculate based on fuel receipts. Once you've done that, don't worry about a single bad tank. While it is possible to get a bad tank of fuel, particularly if the station doesn't see much traffic so the fuel is old, that's a lot less likely than other factors causing the difference.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Like others have said, give it some time. 1260 and three fills? You need to learn patience grasshopper. :) Create a Fuelly acct and track it there. Your car has a fuel tank that will hold 18.5+ gallons of fuel, use it!