Tdi clutch questions

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
So I've read all the debates on clutches and arguments that say get the sachs clutch and not the valeo and I know the the arguments against the valeo. I tried pm'ing Kerma but got no response so I guess I'll go with Malone instead for a tune as they respond. My power level I'm looking for in my 2000 Jetta TDI will either be a Malone stage 1.5 tune or a stage 2 tune.......My queston is what is the part number for the sachs clutch everyone seems to recommend for the power level I desire? I'd like it to be a single mass flywheel set up......Valeo sells a kit but everyone claims it won't hold up...IMO that's debatable since I don't plan to race it just use it as a daily driver with more passing power. Anyway, I'd like to buy a kit with the recommended sachs set up with flywheel and all but can't seem to find the part numbers or at least on partsgeek the sachs all end up having luk stamped on them in the images.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
TDTuning.com (sales@tdtuning.com) Mike has been around a long time, and is my tuner of choice for many of us here. Mike had me send him logs before he wrote my first tune. Mike doesn't sell parts, he specializes in the right tune for the right application, and he is generally easy to get a hold of. He just wrote my Stage 4 Tune specifically the way I wanted it written and I could not be happier; I live at a high altitude, I wanted a specific amount of maximum boost, I wanted no smoke and a very specific rev limit programmed; I got everything I wanted. The power is very linear and predictable and there is a bunch of it too. My first tune was a Stage 3 with .205 nozzles and the stock turbo; on a trip from Nevada to Oklahoma with the cruise set at 75 we got 52 MPG; we as in 4 adults and luggage too. Even with the stock nozzles there is a lot of power to be made while increasing your MPG if you keep your foot out of it. Talk to Mike before you give Malone your money. As far as a clutch goes, the South Bend Daily Driver 2 SMF is a fantastic clutch with just about the same pedal effort as the stock clutch. When you replace your clutch do yourself a favor and replace the pivot, pin and clip while you are in there. I don't know how much the Sachs clutch setup is you are looking at, but if the cost is about the same give the South Bend clutch a look too. I pounded it with a Stage 4 Tune and it doesn't seem to care. My clutch already has over 30,000--Stage 3 miles on it.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
This is the OEM kit you're looking for

http://www.idparts.com/sachs-g60vr6-clutch-flywheel-kit-a4a5-p-764.html

Part # 038198132H

South bend clutches are nice but a decent amount more expensive. Wouldn't bother if you don't plan on running a VNT17 or larger. Would personally go for DLC1019s since they leave you room to upgrade in the future but aren't over sized for your application.

Cheers,

Owain

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
TDTuning.com (sales@tdtuning.com) Mike has been around a long time, and is my tuner of choice for many of us here. Mike had me send him logs before he wrote my first tune. Mike doesn't sell parts, he specializes in the right tune for the right application, and he is generally easy to get a hold of. He just wrote my Stage 4 Tune specifically the way I wanted it written and I could not be happier; I live at a high altitude, I wanted a specific amount of maximum boost, I wanted no smoke and a very specific rev limit programmed; I got everything I wanted. The power is very linear and predictable and there is a bunch of it too. My first tune was a Stage 3 with .205 nozzles and the stock turbo; on a trip from Nevada to Oklahoma with the cruise set at 75 we got 52 MPG; we as in 4 adults and luggage too. Even with the stock nozzles there is a lot of power to be made while increasing your MPG if you keep your foot out of it. Talk to Mike before you give Malone your money. As far as a clutch goes, the South Bend Daily Driver 2 SMF is a fantastic clutch with just about the same pedal effort as the stock clutch. When you replace your clutch do yourself a favor and replace the pivot, pin and clip while you are in there. I don't know how much the Sachs clutch setup is you are looking at, but if the cost is about the same give the South Bend clutch a look too. I pounded it with a Stage 4 Tune and it doesn't seem to care. My clutch already has over 30,000--Stage 3 miles on it.
excellent info!! thank you 52 mpg? hook me up......with a worn out turbo I get about 43-44 right now

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
This is the OEM kit you're looking for

http://www.idparts.com/sachs-g60vr6-clutch-flywheel-kit-a4a5-p-764.html

Part # 038198132H

South bend clutches are nice but a decent amount more expensive. Wouldn't bother if you don't plan on running a VNT17 or larger. Would personally go for DLC1019s since they leave you room to upgrade in the future but aren't over sized for your application.

Cheers,

Owain
I'm gonna be using a new stock turbo, thank you for the part numbers!!! I'm kinda new to upgrades on these tdi's I've worked on plenty , just replacing oem parts as a tech........are the nozzles hard to install on stock inj body? forgive me if this is wrong terminology, just trying to learn from you guys.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Not bad at all, but if there's any imperfections you won't know until after it's up and running for a bit. There are a few distributors that offer "hot swaps" they'll send you a set of mounted and tested injectors and then refund you a deposit when they receive your cores. Typically charge around 200 bucks, beats pulling the injectors out a second time and hoping someone will correct the issue for you.

Mileage is more dependent on your right foot and tire type than on the tuner. Personally get 40-45 city and 50+ highway on a 22 PSI AHU mk3, not driving it even remotely easy. Should be able to hit 50 on the highway @ 70mph no problem with your fueling setup right and quality tires.

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
Not bad at all, but if there's any imperfections you won't know until after it's up and running for a bit. There are a few distributors that offer "hot swaps" they'll send you a set of mounted and tested injectors and then refund you a deposit when they receive your cores. Typically charge around 200 bucks, beats pulling the injectors out a second time and hoping someone will correct the issue for you.

Mileage is more dependent on your right foot and tire type than on the tuner. Personally get 40-45 city and 50+ highway on a 22 PSI AHU mk3, not driving it even remotely easy. Should be able to hit 50 on the highway @ 70mph no problem with your fueling setup right and quality tires.
what do you mean by imperfections? in the inj's? also what distributors offer hot swaps?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
i overpowered the luk version of that clutch (pn: 17-036 supposedly rated at 275ftlbs) with a stage 1 tune and gt15/17 hybrid.

it lasted about a week after the break-in period before slipping in 4th and 5th at WOT.

you may wanna skip the VR6 clutch and go to the aftermarket upgraded ones if you do stage 2 or have intentions to do so later

kerma does their nozzle service through DBW. AARodriguez might too... its a hefty core charge for a hot swap, $600 i think. alternatively, you can pick up a spare set of 4 injectors with worn out stock nozzles on them to send in for $100-200

https://www.dbwllc.net/select-and-order-vw-injectors/

Last edited:

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
i overpowered the luk version of that clutch (pn: 17-036 supposedly rated at 275ftlbs) with a stage 1 tune and gt15/17 hybrid.

it lasted about a week after the break-in period before slipping in 4th and 5th at WOT.

you may wanna skip the VR6 clutch and go to the aftermarket upgraded ones if you do stage 2 or have intentions to do so later
how is it with only a stage 1 tune which only adds about 20 hp and 30 ft lbs more of torque it easily overpowers these clutches? also this car has nearly 400k on it, I'm not interested in beating on it nor sinking gobs of money into it.......I figure since I know it needs a clutch and turbo why not upgrade a tad for a few more bucks........I really do not want to spend 4-500 on a new clutch if a 200-350 dollar range clutch will serve my needs

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI, 2X 01 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI,06 Jetta TDI.
imperfections in injectors can be dirt ,dust, worn out, low pop pressures. Drivebywire. here is who I always go with. he can be tough to deal with, but in my personal opinion does a great job for me. he has done over a dozen sets for me, flawless work everytime. you better be honest with him about you want.

mjr46

TDI
Jetta

kerma does their nozzle service through DBW. AARodriguez might too... its a hefty core charge for a hot swap, $600 i think. alternatively, you can pick up a spare set of 4 injectors with worn out stock nozzles on them to send in for $100-200

https://www.dbwllc.net/select-and-order-vw-injectors/
So I clicked on the link and filled out all the options and with the core charge of 600 added , price was 1,111.00 , take out the core charge and that's 511.00......wow, bend me over..........also they asked for flow rate of stock or stage 1-5?? not sure what I'd need for what I want to do? any advice?

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
imperfections in injectors can be dirt ,dust, worn out, low pop pressures. Drivebywire. here is who I always go with. he can be tough to deal with, but in my personal opinion does a great job for me. he has done over a dozen sets for me, flawless work everytime. you better be honest with him about you want.
what does it run about for 4 done up? the malone guy above recommended dlc 1019's for what I plan to do.

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
I love the DLC1019s. great mileage, good upgrade potential. probably similar to what others advertise.

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
do not even try to do it cheap. if you can not pay to do it the right way, trade it in for a gas model. I am thinking 600 to 800 bucks.
sorry if I sound like an as@

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
VW wants 600 to 800 each. those ones are set to the right pop pressures.
and number 3 with the sensor, 1200$
so a set for up to 800$, with the right pressures, great warranty, why not?

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
VW wants 600 to 800 each. those ones are set to the right pop pressures.
and number 3 with the sensor, 1200$
so a set for up to 800$, with the right pressures, great warranty, why not?
# 3 with a sensor??? I don't have a sensor iirc on my 2000 tdi...or maybe I do?

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
do not even try to do it cheap. if you can not pay to do it the right way, trade it in for a gas model. I am thinking 600 to 800 bucks.
sorry if I sound like an as@
You're fine, I'm just trying to learn, I've never really messed with diesels performance wise, just gas cars..lol......I'm just use to spending 300 on a set of inj's for mustangs.......FYI......I already have a gas model...a 2000 golf :)

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
okay, sorry if I sound hard. But, I have worked only in diesel for over 10 years. red seal tech and parts tickets. everytime someone trys to do it cheap, it back fires on them. Never perfect. injectors done right, always ,always the right thing to do. same with clutches, I understand, price. But if you want to play, you gotta pay.
expect to pay 1500$ plus for a good clutch and injectors done right, just for parts.

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
okay, sorry if I sound hard. But, I have worked only in diesel for over 10 years. red seal tech and parts tickets. everytime someone trys to do it cheap, it back fires on them. Never perfect. injectors done right, always ,always the right thing to do. same with clutches, I understand, price. But if you want to play, you gotta pay.
expect to pay 1500$ plus for a good clutch and injectors done right, just for parts.
So who does the injectors right? DBW not a good choice for sending mine in or a hot swap?

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
Most all the big vendors on here will do the right thing for you. I use Malone, Bora parts, ID parts, DBW, Kerma, and a few others. ALL perfectionists in the sport.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
DBW, is very well respected and his quality is top shelf. I am running a set of his injectors I bought used and they are as accurate as the day they left his shop. If you are going to buy new nozzles get them set up by DBW and you won't regret it. No it won't be cheap, but peace of mind has no price dollar-wise.

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
DBW, is very well respected and his quality is top shelf. I am running a set of his injectors I bought used and they are as accurate as the day they left his shop. If you are going to buy new nozzles get them set up by DBW and you won't regret it. No it won't be cheap, but peace of mind has no price dollar-wise.
Listen, learn, spend once.

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
Very sound advice guys!! I appreciate it..........so any ideas on who to get a decent, reliable yet decent priced turbo? i need the whole deal, not just a cartidge

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
You might want to check Dutch Auto Parts as a possible source also. His used turbos have been gone through and balanced before being sold. His rebuilt turbos have brand new cartridges installed. Here is the link:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593
hrmmm, I kinda would rather have new all the way around so as to not have an issue with anything. just looking for a good reputable seller that offers a decent product at a decent price.