Frequently asked Questions

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
What exactly are the various stages frequently mentioned on the site? Are the stages specific to a particular vendor, or are they fairly standardized?
it's all very subjective and as you have brought up, particular to vendor vs another.

pwendtland

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
2002 Jetta TDI 200,000-Miles (Frankenstein): Is there a way to figure out if a timing belt had been changed, no date on cover by last mechanic. I just got this car a couple of months ago and it’s my project car also have another Jetta 2001 Wolfsburg (for parts).

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
pwendtland, there is really no other way than to change the timing belt and associated parts yourself. Waiting to do it due to say, lack of funds, will only increase the cost of the job from a few hundred $$ to a possible couple of thousand $$. Good wisdom says, do not push your luck with something as critical as a timing belt.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Power Stages?

it's all very subjective and as you have brought up, particular to vendor vs another.

Yes it is all subjective, sort of. In that all of the tuning vendors all produce right about the same amount of torque and horsepower for the same rated Stage of Tune.

pwendtland

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
Thanks for the reply... I’ve been looking online for parts and I need some suggestions on parts manufacturers (many out there). Want to change timing belt kit with tools, oil pump, camshaft, injectors, clutch and turbo. Also would like to delete the EGR but keep the the shutter valve somehow also will change the exhaust down the road. Is there a sequence of parts replacements that I should do (timing belt first for sure). Also made a typo my TDI is a 2003 and not 2002. Thanks for suggestions from people who know what they are talking about...

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hey Franko6, here is one for you... I know the nozzles/injectors are not the problem as they are freshly rebuilt, but no matter what tune I program in, more fuel, less fuel, more timing, torque tapering, over a dozen options, and best I can get in town is 38 MPG. There are many on these forums that profess 45 MPG in town, and well over 55MPG on the highway. I know some of them, and I know they telling the truth; similar hardware...vnt-17, .216 nozzles, and 24 PSI tunes. I have an almost invisible haze at full throttle, so I question too much fuel. Here is the real kicker, I get the same FE with the IQ at 4.2 and with the IQ at 6.5. There does not seem to be any power loss at 6.5, I wonder what the real problem is?