TDIFest 2016 location discussion

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Exactly, there are 60 at The Lodge http://www.thelodgeatls.com/
Then 14 directly across the street at Snug Harbor Inn http://snugharborinn.com/
Then as VeeDubTDI mentioned there is Stone Harbor a super nice hotel a mile from The Lodge and I know the owners of all 3 places.:D
http://www.stoneharbor-resort.com/
My Dad even mentioned for those that wanna camp out could do so in our 2 open lots behind our house, since The Lodge isn't permitted to have camping at their property :( Our house is a little over a mile from The Lodge.
There are actual camp grounds of course too. lol I posted the options in my thread.
There are a fair number of activities to do up in the area from boating, fishing, camping, site seeing fish boils, charter fishing, 250 miles of shoreline with some very nice sandy beaches, segway tours, shops, antique stores, etc. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. lol
I should have prices on rooms next week some time.
Is that a parking lot in the back by the tennis court? How many conference rooms do they have? The rooms do look very nice.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Is that a parking lot in the back by the tennis court? How many conference rooms do they have? The rooms do look very nice.
They said the grass could be utilized for extra parking.

They have a conference room big enough for 400 people.

The rooms were recently renovated :)

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
I've done a lot of research on Pidgeon Forge, Chattanooga, and the surrounding area. Labor Day is peak season, and finding a reasonable hotel that is large enough with conference space and parking is very difficult. They can be had, but bookings must be made at least a year in advance - in many cases, two years in advance. Pricing is expensive, as well.
I'm semi-local to Pigeon Forge and had thought about it as a location, but Labor Day weekend is gridlock up there.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Great information! Thanks,

But not sure why you would expect a response similar to Maine with 45-65 room sold for a Fest in Southern California. There are 23 million people just in So.Cal, with 11 million more less than 500 miles north in the Bay Area. Less than 400 miles east is Phoenix with over 4 million and Las Vegas with another 2 million people.

But the key issue is getting a Planning Group together. For that we need more volunteers.

BTW, got the 150 registered number from Fred for the Portland Fest.

2009 in Dulles, VA: 279 registered attendees, about 90 hotel rooms sold, about 270 room-nights, on-site food sales exceeding $10,000.

2012 in Ypsilanti, MI: 200 registered attendees, 78 hotel rooms sold, about 225 room-nights, on-site food sales around $8,500.

2013 at Sunday River, ME: 166 registered attendees, about 65 hotel rooms sold, about 195 room-nights, on-site food sales around $8,000.

2015 at Sunday River, ME: 125 registered attendees, about 45 hotel rooms sold, about 130 room-nights, on-site food sales around $7,500.

These are the big numbers when it comes to hotels - how many rooms are you filling, and how much food are you selling? Food sales drive complimentary conference space and room rates.

I would expect San Diego to have a response similar to 2013 or 2015, Northern California and Wisconsin to both be similar to 2012. I would expect somewhere central like St. Louis to meet or exceed 2009.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I just don't see southern California as being a large population center for TDIs. It isn't a criticism, just a projection on my part, and I could be wrong.

There is nothing wrong with a Fest that's on the smaller side of things, as long as there are enough attendees to cover expenses and negotiate a good deal.

Take this population density map and overlay a 750 mile radius on your intended location. That will give you an idea of who will attend. This is based on feedback surveys from previous TDIFests. Here is a good map radius generator: https://obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius/

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Virginia Beach on Labor Day weekend sounds like a great idea. What venue do you have in mind?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
How about somewhere near Sacramento? Less expensive than the Bay Area, and still close for a lot of west coast people.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
How about somewhere near Sacramento? Less expensive than the Bay Area, and still close for a lot of west coast people.
The Lake Tahoe area has already been suggested. It is much better than Sacto (a.k.a. the "Big Tomato"). Also Sacramento is usually still in the 100s temperature-wise over the Labo(u)r Day weekend.

Personally, as this is a Canadian website, I'd like to see more Fests up in Canada. One place I'd like to see would be Victoria, BC, while another would be Calgary, AB.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
The Lake Tahoe area has already been suggested. It is much better than Sacto (a.k.a. the "Big Tomato"). Also Sacramento is usually still in the 100s temperature-wise over the Labo(u)r Day weekend.
The Sunday River (x2) experience really drove home to me that beautiful scenery is much more appropriate for a car event than city sightseeing. Driving through the mountains of Maine was awesome. Driving up to Lake Tahoe would be MOAR awesome.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You guys would like the Sturgeon Bay Wi idea if you like scenery.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
You guys would like the Sturgeon Bay Wi idea if you like scenery.
Looking at Google Earth, it appears that you are missing snow-capped peaks. It's OK though. It would just be for a visit. I just can't see life without snow-capped mountains close by.

I wish that there was a way that I could help because I am really liking this idea and if it works out, I will attend. Packers game or not.

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
How about in Colorado? If it can push to mid/end of September, it's beautiful up in the mountains. Aspens are changing then.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Exactly, there are 60 at The Lodge http://www.thelodgeatls.com/
Then 14 directly across the street at Snug Harbor Inn http://snugharborinn.com/
Then as VeeDubTDI mentioned there is Stone Harbor a super nice hotel a mile from The Lodge and I know the owners of all 3 places.:D
http://www.stoneharbor-resort.com/
My Dad even mentioned for those that wanna camp out could do so in our 2 open lots behind our house, since The Lodge isn't permitted to have camping at their property :( Our house is a little over a mile from The Lodge.
There are actual camp grounds of course too. lol I posted the options in my thread.
There are a fair number of activities to do up in the area from boating, fishing, camping, site seeing fish boils, charter fishing, 250 miles of shoreline with some very nice sandy beaches, segway tours, shops, antique stores, etc. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. lol
I should have prices on rooms next week some time.
Hopefully things will work out in Wisconsin.

Jpontiac68

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI, 5 speed manual galactic blue w/ 101k miles
Just a thought but Chicago.......?

It should be held in Chicago we have a lot of great hotels and restaurants and lots of fairgrounds where the event could be held. I feel it should be somewhere in the middle of the country as this would be most fair for everybody and no one would have to take a cross-country drive. But hey I would still go to the fest but i would love to drive up a nice road to get to the place just like this years fest.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
It should be held in Chicago we have a lot of great hotels and restaurants and lots of fairgrounds where the event could be held. I feel it should be somewhere in the middle of the country as this would be most fair for everybody and no one would have to take a cross-country drive. But hey I would still go to the fest but i would love to drive up a nice road to get to the place just like this years fest.
Nah, I'd spend the entire weekend at the Museum of Science and Industry! :D