SE Wisconsin/Milwaukee TDI

coreycanfield

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
I am looking to connect with forum members in the SE Wisconsin - Milwaukee area. Hit me up here is you are form the area!

Some of the things we need to work:

1.) Non-biodiesel Stations - VW does not warrantee diesel beyond B5, so if you know of any, then post here and I will collect a list

2.) Mechanics - do you have a mechanic/dealer/service operator that you trust to work on your TDI? Please share the good and bad stories so we can all know the best places to go, and where to avoid. I bought my TDI at Hall VW in Brookfield, WI, but have not serviced there yet.

3.) Local GTG (meet up) - if you are interested in getting together to share stories, news, cars, tips, etc., then please send me your contact information so we can get something going.

4.) Anyone from NE IL want to connect as well, then we are all in this together and would love to make the connections!

Thanks! - Corey

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I often arrange to have work done on my TDI by Jason Daniels when I visit my parents in Madison. Folks from the Chicagoland area use him, too. He's worth the drive.

http://www.jasontdi.com/

His website says he works on 1995-2005 TDI's, but I know he was working on a 2006 or later Jetta at the time I had him do some work for me a couple weeks ago. Regardless, he's sure to be working on these recent TDI's as they proliferate more.

Last edited:

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
As far as non-biodiesel stations, that's pretty much most of the diesel retailers in Wisconsin. It's much tougher to find someone that does sell bio-diesel than to find one that doesn't.

For mechanics, I too, reccommend Jason up in Madison. Very knowledgeable and does good work for a much better price than the dealer.

About once a month or so, there's kind of an informal gathering at the Brat Stop in Kenosha to shoot the bull.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=236717

Last edited:

N8116B

TDI
2009 Jetta
lovemybug said:
As far as non-biodiesel stations, that's pretty much most of the diesel retailers in Wisconsin. It's much tougher to find someone that does sell bio-diesel than to find one that doesn't.
When you venture south of the border to the flat lands make sure you check out this thread; http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237849

Illinois has a lot of station that use b5 to b20, some mark it, some don't. The thread will help you find where to get fuel for 2009.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Corey welcome to the club,
Not to take anything away from Jason (his plate frame is on the front of my Jetta) but there is another mechanic Mikstdi in northern Illinois. Never hurts to have 2 mechanics.
If I recall correctly when I visited Jason he didn't seem to have a high opinion of Hall. Boucher from what I understand avoid like the plague. Ernie Von Schledorn fixed a fuel gelling and a trunk latch problem on mine. IMHO jury is still out on them but I dont plan on using them for any repairs. I prefer independent mechanics.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
RUN!!!! from Hall. I see more tensioners tensioned backwards from them than ANYONE! 7 last year alone?!?!?!

schwechel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Galactic Blue
Another Jason recommendation. He's worth every mile and every cent.

The only time I go to the dealers is if I need parts. Even then it can come with a jar of KY if you don't shop around. I've seen prices vary between $45 and $200 between Ernie, Hall and Boucher.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Last winter, I went to the Boucher dealer in Racine to get my battery because the person behind the parts counter at the Boucher at Hwy 100 in Greenfield didn't seem to know what she was doing. Likely going to go back to Racine for parts if I need to.

redbrick1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
coreycanfield said:
I am looking to connect with forum members in the SE Wisconsin - Milwaukee area. Hit me up here is you are form the area!
Congrats on the car, I've been loving my 2009 JSW since November.
Did you get the sedan or wagen?

See you around Beer town-
:)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Yeah - skip all the dealers in the milwaukee metro area for service and even warranty work. I found that it's not worth the hassle, even though you've paid for your warranty, you're likely better off not using it.

Your first stop is here on the forums to educate yourself - lots for everyone to learn about the 09's especially.

Jason - you can add another to your list of F-ups from Hall. Not sure if the tensioner was backwards or what, but the plate that the nut tightens up against broke off the tensioner and went through the timing belt system. It was all bent up in the shape of the timing belt teeth when I pulled it out of the crank gear. The owner was not pleased with their customer service when they said "oops, sorry about that, we'll fix it for you for $3k".

jasonTDI

TDI
I've callled them several times and been told to go F' myself 4 times by the service manager.

Class act.....

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Then folks wonder why I drove all the way to St. Louis to have the BS conversion done by Oilhammer, who also replaced the TB, WP, glow plugs to steel, motor mounts, Alt Pulley, brake fluid, trans fluid etc. at the same time.

While Motorville in Sheboygan appears to have done the previous work correctly as per Oilhammer, I just didn't think that being a balance shaft guinea pig on my B5.5 would be a good thing. They reflashed my ECU after OH put in the new Glow Plugs. They did a fine job as the car is working correctly. I think they really seem to care. Parts guy knows his stuff there. I think because they are smaller, they HAVE to care more. Their techs have been there a long time and their parts guy is really knowledgable. New facility to boot. When I bought my B5.5 TDI it was among the last purchased at the old facility downtown which to say the least was cramped.

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
jasonTDI said:
I've callled them several times and been told to go F' myself 4 times by the service manager.

Class act.....
Four times in a row or on four separate occasions? Did he throw dog poop on your shoes?

I was just wondering if there was some significance to the number of times the phrase is repeated. Sorta like the Steve Martin "I break with thee, I break with thee, I break with thee" skit on the old SNL.

IF it was said on four SEPARATE occasions AND there was no dog poop involved then it is just a case of VW Dealer SOP.:D

Terry, Lynn & Me make it +4 Jason.

jasonTDI

TDI
4 seperate times.....dammmm!

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
jasonTDI said:

Class act.....
Does this mean you won't be on his christmas card list?

jasonTDI

TDI
I'm still on the one for the east side Zimprick dealer. Even though they banned me from the store 2 years ago!

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I'll have to ask you for that story on my next visit. I'm thinking skid plate. I don't like the direction SE Wisconsin winters have taken. Held my breath one time to many going over a chunk of ice. Then there was the semi that had one of their tires blow and my windshield took a direct hit with a piece of its shrapnel. So I'm thinking skidplate and a Pella for me.

Guz15

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
That skid plate has save my oil pan more than once.

Jason - Youve seen my plate it has a few scratches, along with some raccoon fur! Poor guy couldnt run fast enough.:eek:

PETA - I did not do this intentionally.......Seriously!

jasonTDI

TDI
Seen shovels, curbs, ditches, bricks....all sorts of damage the pan didn't receive due to the plates.

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
TT71 said:
I'll have to ask you for that story on my next visit. I'm thinking skid plate. I don't like the direction SE Wisconsin winters have taken. Held my breath one time to many going over a chunk of ice. Then there was the semi that had one of their tires blow and my windshield took a direct hit with a piece of its shrapnel. So I'm thinking skidplate and a Pella for me.
Few things are as satisfying or as validating as hearing a big chunk of black nasty wheel well ice bouncing off of a DG skid plate.

Too, the skid plate acts to stiffen up the front of the car as well.

They're well worth the money.

Mark Owens

TDI
Jetta Sedan 2004
Need Vag-com in Brookfield or SE WI area

I have a high pitched sound coming from either the auto transmission or the turbo. It happens just as the trans is about to upshift. It's hard to tell where it's coming form. Anybody in the area have a vag com to plug into. JasonTDI suggested finding somebody in the area with one. My local shop(Griswolds in Brookfield) is honest and reliable enough to tell me they didn't know what the sound was rather than open up a can of worms and screw something up. I can offer a couple of cases of beer.

jasonTDI

TDI
FYI, I'm gone for a few weeks guys.. might post from the road starting monday.

This is an 04' PD with the 5spd tip jatco box. that mark is talking about above.

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
Mark Owens said:
I have a high pitched sound coming from either the auto transmission or the turbo. It happens just as the trans is about to upshift. It's hard to tell where it's coming form. Anybody in the area have a vag com to plug into. JasonTDI suggested finding somebody in the area with one. My local shop(Griswolds in Brookfield) is honest and reliable enough to tell me they didn't know what the sound was rather than open up a can of worms and screw something up. I can offer a couple of cases of beer.
I have a laptop, cable, and a motorcycle that can get me to anywhere in this corner of the state in less than an hour.:D I do have a cable and a good basic understanding of how the software works so if you know what your looking for I would be glad to help.

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
some of my money goes to jason. aluminun skid plate is very nice. kinda gives ou a warm and fuzzy feeling when thigs go clank under there.:D

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
lovemybug said:
Last winter, I went to the Boucher dealer in Racine to get my battery because the person behind the parts counter at the Boucher at Hwy 100 in Greenfield didn't seem to know what she was doing. Likely going to go back to Racine for parts if I need to.

there is a very friendly knowledgeable fella at boucher racine but i'll be dipped if i can remember his name.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Mark Owens said:
I live in Tosa town and have VagCom and could stop by. Do you know what to be looking for with VagCom?