Dyno: PD130 + GTB1756VK

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
MK4 Jetta GLX TDI Wagon (Dyno: PD130M6 GTB1756VK)

A few days after upgrading the turbo in my heavy wagon, felting it's more powerful, I decided that I would give it a shot on the dyno. The power seems to be in the same range of my older Golf running on an hybrid vnt20 from S/T.

At the dyno shop, while strapping the car, the guy asked me to guess about the power output. I said 230/350 (crank hp). We did a few pull and the best one was this one :

My guess was actually quite accurate!! I was happy with the results and maybe I could squeeze a few more hp but my poorly balanced injectors and restrictive exhaust are probably limiting from going higher. I wonder if my peak torque comes on too late and if peak hp should be higher ?

Of course, the car is highly enjoyable to drive. Glad these numbers are not affected by the weight of the car as all this power is in my 2004 Jetta Wagon GLX 1.8T swapped to TDI. Don't know if this option is rare but that was the first time I saw an oem VW OnStar GPS system!!

Last edited:

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
This dyno was made on a stock PD130 engine and the tune was already in the ECU when I imported the drivetrain from UK. I am running the stock ALH intercooler from the earlier years, which are bigger than the later ones. A front mount would be a good idea. I was also using the stock downpipe.

The ECU was already tuned when I imported the engine and the turbo was a vnt17/22. I swapped the turbo for a GTB1756VK without re-tuning it and got these numbers. I had the car tuned by MR Tuning later on and I wished I could have make it to the dyno as the power was incredibly more present. Maybe not more top end power, but a way better curve for sure, way quicker response, virtually no more lag… it was way more enjoyable to drive when I got it tuned than it was on the dyno.

But, that turbo end up dying on me earlier this year. The axle shaft was hitting the turbo’s output to the intercooler when going into deep holes (and we have our share of pot holes in Quebec!) so that of course couldn’t make the turbo last forever. I replaced it with a nearly new VNT17 and had it de-tuned for mild performance.

I still have everything (minus the turbo) to put back a GTB1756VK, I also have a set of PD100 injectors with Firad +80% nozzles mounted on them waiting to be installed, along with Boost and EGT gauges from new south that I never installed. All this is on the to-do list but life isn’t always what we want and I am stuck in a long and expensive divorce and I am now at a point where selling the car would be quite helpful to keep fighting for my kids. If the car doesn’t sell, I’ll probably get back to it next year, hopefully.

Last edited:

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Here's some pictures of the car. I don't think there are any missing options. Were there many VW mk4 with the OnStar system?

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Nice wagon. You have the power I am looking for, 200 whp, I'd be soo happy with that. :)

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Nice wagon. You have the power I am looking for, 200 whp, I'd be soo happy with that. :)

200whp is very nice to drive. I had no lag between gears so it was quite powerful, considering the weight of this extra-load wagon.

But now it's quite less powerful. Thinking to re-turn it again to add a little more power but the actual VNT17 won't bring me anywhere near the GTB17.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Why did you import a PD130 engine?

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I imported the drivetrain early in 2012 as my previous project (Golf with PD130) terminated badly and I felt like building another one. These engines are stronger and can easily handle high boost and are quite easy to swap into a 2000-2003 mk4.

I hesitate a long time in which car I would swap this into. I bought a GTI GLX VR6 in a rarely seen ultra-mint condition but my wife convince me that it was not a practical enough car and pushed me into selling this car, which I did, regrettably. After this bad episode, I thought about selling it. I guy from this forum was to drive 10 hours to get the drivetrain but I end up choking on him at the very last minute. I felt terribly sorry but I was not comfortable selling something that I did not drive myself.

So, after, I got ditch from my wife and thought that a Wagon would be useful for my kids. I found that GLX wagon, which is actually quite rare with that equipment, so I thought that this would be the car to go with that drivetrain. Unfortunately, these GLX wagon only came in 2004 and, with a 1.8T gasser engine.

This project gave me the ultimate-to-me TDI Wagon in the mk4 platform. The only missing thing was the 4motion, but we did not have them here. Importing a 4motion car is possible but, with these engines, I have to wait until 2017-2018 to comply with the federal government so I decide the build the car to OEM specs instead.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gotcha.

From what I've read, the BEW's are already stronger than ALH and a PD130 is just a turbo and tune away from 130 hp.

Either way, pretty cool, nice job. I have an 03 1.8T wagon considering an ALH swap, but its silver so I wouldn't be keeping it, the wife's is silver, I live my Blue one, :p

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
The PD130 is fully interchangeable with a PD100 but there are several différences between both engine.

PD130 and PD150 have larger OEM injectors than PD100, they also have a stronger engine block made to handle more boost, the compression is slightly lower too. Outside of the engine, well there's the turbo and tune that are different and the PD150 also had a front mount intercooler.

The electronics are different also.
ALH 2000-2003 are EDC15
BEW PD100 2004-2005 are EDC16

ASZ/ARL PD130/150 are EDC15 as well, which makes it quite easy to swap into a 2003- car.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good to know.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
It's probably sooner than what shows on the dyno. I did this dyno with a very bad tune. After I got re-tuned, I never went back on the dyno. Might not have more top end, but definitely way more agressive in the lower RPMs.