Tuning questions 2015 TDI

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
For those running tunes on the EA-288 do you have any real world numbers on acceleration, MPG and regen frequency? Also did you get a tune for the DSG (if equipped) as well? Are you monitoring EGTs or just counting on the EGT limiter?
Also I saw where Kerma said in a post that they are seeing regen intervals of up to 750KM with his tune yet on the web site it says "regens exactly like stock".
I am toying with the idea of tunes but it would be nice to know some real world numbers.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
My brother and I both have 15 golf autos. Both have Malone DSG tunes, mine has Kerma engine tunes and his is stock engine tuning (stage 2 fix has been done). The DSG tunes didn’t seem to change MPG but they were a big improvement to drivability on both cars. I get 3-4 MPG better than he does, I don’t monitor EGT but I only run the less spicy Kerma tune not the plus tune. As far as regens go idk, it doesn’t seem better or worse but I don’t track it closely at all.

As for performance my car pulls notability harder through the whole range, no contest there.

Also worth noting I wish I had Malone engine tunes. Too many inconsistencies like the one you noted from Kerma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Factory EGT limiters should still be there, regardless of tunes, so no real sense to monitor EGTs unless you want to geek out.

While I don't have experience with Kerma, my gut says that if you're getting more out of the same platform something is going to give (there's no free lunch) and you'll hit that EGT limiter no matter what.

On our Passat, I have seen EGTs hit 15-1600F climbing a steep hill while passing at 85+ while geeking out with torque with stg 1 Malone.

I will say with our early version of Phase 1 Malone tune it did regen like clockwork 250-300 miles. I haven't grabbed a new tune now that we have phase 2 but it's on the list.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
For those running tunes on the EA-288 do you have any real world numbers on acceleration, MPG and regen frequency? Also did you get a tune for the DSG (if equipped) as well? Are you monitoring EGTs or just counting on the EGT limiter?
Also I saw where Kerma said in a post that they are seeing regen intervals of up to 750KM with his tune yet on the web site it says "regens exactly like stock".
I am toying with the idea of tunes but it would be nice to know some real world numbers.

DPF regen interval is increased, and if you are mostly highway driving, ~750km (~500 miles) between regens is typical. When it does regen, the event is exactly like stock and you may not even notice unless you are monitoring EGT.

We mention the "exactly like stock" bit, because some of our competitors tunes experience odd behavior during regen, and in fact they experience more frequent regens than stock.

Does that help?

The guys are always available to answer questions at 877-537-6283 or info@kermatdi.com or live chat on the kermatdi website, facebook, etc.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Does TDT offer a tune for the 15 Golfs ? I had Mikes tune on my old B4 TDi and with all the mods (11mm pump, GT1749VB, nozzles, intercooler etc) it went like stink....and it did stink bad :)

I drive a lot and am considering getting a tune for my 15. Malone tune doesn't seem to make a whole lot more power based on videos and dynos.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I don’t have Malone tunes on this car but I think their EA288 tunes is comparable to Kerma non plus tune which I do run. The power increase from stock is very noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Our 2015 wagon has Malone 0.5 tune, less than stage 1 because of stock clutch slipping though it was minor. I believe we tried stage 2 or 3 first (for about 10 miles) and seat of the pants feel was great, but clutch wasn't happy.

The 1/2 stage tune is still nice and peppy, quite noticeable above stock. One of the best benefits is it seems to go forever between regens after the tune... Because of that and the tune mileage is up about 5 MPG city and highway, best tank 59.3 MPG calculated. The mileage gain does not realistically cover the parts, labor, and tune but it is nice to go further on less fuel.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Our 2015 wagon has Malone 0.5 tune, less than stage 1 because of stock clutch slipping though it was minor. I believe we tried stage 2 or 3 first (for about 10 miles) and seat of the pants feel was great, but clutch wasn't happy.

The 1/2 stage tune is still nice and peppy, quite noticeable above stock. One of the best benefits is it seems to go forever between regens after the tune... Because of that and the tune mileage is up about 5 MPG city and highway, best tank 59.3 MPG calculated. The mileage gain does not realistically cover the parts, labor, and tune but it is nice to go further on less fuel.
I'd be curious to know how far between regens, city and highway. With no tunes I see one about every 100-125 miles if I stay in town and 240-250 if I stay on the highway.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry that wasn't clear. It not only seems to go forever between regens but it actually does.
If the DPF is on a shelf in the garage it won't regenerate. A tune is the other part of the solution.

Last edited:

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Sorry that wasn't clear. It not only seems to go forever between regens but it actually does.
If the DPF is on a shelf in the garage it won't regenerate. A tune is the other part of the solution.

oh.....now I see....I guess I'm not the shiniest wrench in the drawer;);)

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
As much as that sounds good as we only have the sniff test on diesels right now with my luck they will switch to OBD testing like they do on all the gassers.

Datalore

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI- SOLD, 2000 VW Beetle ALH- SOLD, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE DSG
Does the life of the DPF increase with more frequent regenerations (burning less soot off more often). Or would a higher soot load with less frequent regens increase the life? Dealer says more often is better so the back pressure is reduced but I would think less heat cycles would be the ticket to longer DPF life.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
less frequent regens due to less soot being produced.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If you have the DSG and not a manual, and had to choose between getting a DSG tune and an engine tune, I would - without hesitation - recommend the DSG tune (Malone).

It makes EVERY drive with the car more enjoyable. The engine tune - it's nice when called upon, but in my typical day-to-day driving, I don't make much use of it.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
If you have the DSG and not a manual, and had to choose between getting a DSG tune and an engine tune, I would - without hesitation - recommend the DSG tune (Malone).

It makes EVERY drive with the car more enjoyable. The engine tune - it's nice when called upon, but in my typical day-to-day driving, I don't make much use of it.

I'm considering the DSG tune for a 2015 Passat TDI, and would love to have you elaborate on the improvemts you are experiencing with the DSG tune.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As it comes from the factory, the car was ALWAYS wanting to shift into the next highest gear...to the point where, while driving around town at 50-60km/h, I'd be in 5th gear at 1100rpm or so. It just always shifted way too early.

The Malone DSG tune, though...it shifts pretty much exactly where I would've shifted just about every time. If I'm just driving around town, it keeps me around 1700rpm - I'm just always in the right gear; if I'm accelerating hard to merge on the freeway, it holds a bit longer - but not way past the rev range where I would've shifted (which is what happens if you take my VW dealer's advice and "just put it in "S" mode instead of "D"").

I can't comment if this would be the case on the 2015 Passat, but I gotta think that if Malone figured out the right algorithm for the Mk7 MQB Golf / Sportwagen, they'd have figured out the Passat as well.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
So with all this talk about the transmission and when to shift, what is the optimum RPM range to stay in for performance? Between 2 & 3K? And where do you keep it for economy?

Dwcool1990

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I recently bought my first TDI as cerrified pre-owned and have a 2 year warranty on top of the awesome diesel-gate warranty. Does anyone know how VW feels about a tune like Kerma that is meant to be post Phase2 fixes and keeps stock emissions? I want that extra power but can't give up that killer 162k mile warranty!

gqboy

TDI
2015 Golf
I recently bought my first TDI as cerrified pre-owned and have a 2 year warranty on top of the awesome diesel-gate warranty. Does anyone know how VW feels about a tune like Kerma that is meant to be post Phase2 fixes and keeps stock emissions? I want that extra power but can't give up that killer 162k mile warranty!

I'd have to guess any tune would void the warranty. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Depends on what fails and warranty needs to pay for.

DPF DEF failing or something other emissions related VWoA could toss the TD1 flag in your face, but not sure how strict they are with illegal software on these cars these days.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
I would just assume you own the car and any future problems and repairs. Don't count on it, but if you're lucky you might get something minor fixed at the dealer if you dare take it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They can tell if it has been flashed more times than they have a record of, of their own. This is done in the cloud and the dealer has no control over it. The home office gets the info and can deny or approve as they see fit. If they detect a tune/flash they can permanently tag your car with a TD1 identifier and anything dealing with the engine/emissions or the like could very likely be refused from now on. They would just love to take as many cars off the extended warranty as they could to reduce their future costs. If the warranty is important to you leave it alone and service it properly. If not do as you please.

Dwcool1990

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Thanks. I wasn't sure how they would be able to tell but if they have a database of the cars and their recorded number of flashes then I will leave it as is.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
what kind of power/tune level can the stock 6spd clutch hold? or at least be expected to hold as i am picking up a 15 6spd with 60k on it this week.

plan on a tune however i don't want to do a clutch

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd ask your tuner of choice; Malone (in my case) has always been very good about what the OEM clutches can withstand, and will work within what you have (and want to keep) on your car.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
We were surprised when my clutch wouldn't hold with Malone stage 2 (I think it was).
Settled on stage 0.5. Stock engine other than exhaust.

Probably could have run the stage 2 and driven around the one point in RPM with pedal flat on the floor when the clutch did slip. You had to work at it to make it slip..

I was after mileage more than get up and go, which it does have plenty of also, so 0.5 is fine.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I’m on stage 2 and although I’m on my stock clutch, you do get chatter pretty bad when lugging in 5-6th gears and give too much throttle. This is mentioned and I knew beforehand. I drive around this and don’t hammer when in those gears.

No big deal for me but worth sharing. Hopefully someone else can chime in. I thought I read it’s due to the dual mass clutch/flywheel?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
on a tuned ride anything above 2.5k is green light for sending it, low rpm peak torque cause bad mojo for the DMF. keep her between 2.5 and 3.5 for max enjoyment.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm keeping the original clutch. Decided that less of a tune would suit me fine. If I ever wear this clutch out and actually need a new one I might consider a better clutch and higher tune.