jetta tdi died no start help!!!!

cody522

TDI
05 jetta
Hey all i have an 05 jetta with 75k on it. The transmission has been acting up but other than that no issues. Until the other day i went to leave the house and started it up and let it idle for about 5 min I took off down my driveway and it died. It will crank but no start. I have changed the fuel filter, checked lift pump, checked timing belt, car has no cel and no stored codes. not sure where to start. Any help would be great!!!!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The MIL should come on when you turn the key on. Does it?

The preglow lamp should come on, and go out a second or two (or five, depends on how cold it is) later. Does it?

Does the engine crank normally?

Can you use a scan tool to check for RPM signal during cranking?

cody522

TDI
05 jetta
MIL light does come on when key is on. Glowplug light comes on and goes off as normal. Engine sounds normal cranking and cranks normal. ill get scan tool on it see if i can get the rpm while cranking.

oilhammer

TDI
Cool, keep us posted. At least now we know the ECU is "alive", and the engine is cranking, just need to know if the ECU sees the RPM signal so that it can work the injectors and make the engine run.

oilhammer

TDI
do you know what the absolute throttle postion should show with ignition on ? its showing 94.9%
If you are using a generic scan tool, that is probably correct, since they do not really know how to speak Volkswagen very well. The "throttle" is the intake regulating flap, for EGR flow control in addition to other things, and at rest KOEO, would normally be wide open, or close to 100%.

cody522

TDI
05 jetta
ok well now i feel like a big dummy. This was my grandma's car but i got it when she passed i haven't had it long. I have changed hundreds of fuel filters but never on a vw. After i changed it i was sure it was primed, I was wrong. so, the problem was the fuel filter and lack of being fully primed. I also found it weird the car shifts like it should now. I honestly thought there were problems in the trans. Ive never had a fuel filter indirectly cause a car to shift funny.

oilhammer

TDI
Anything that causes loss of power will make an automatic transmission hold the gears out longer than it should. I bet the most common thing transmission shops see on cars that are still moving are clogged fuel filters and bad fuel pumps. VERY common.

Glad you got it fixed.