New BRM and I want POWER!!!

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I would be curious to see a video of a 40mph to 70 or 80mph pull in 4th gear. I am curious how the 1749 turbo compares to the PD140 in this speed range. I will get my gopro out and post a video as well. I will come back to this thread in the next few days and post my vid.

I can also give you a comparison between my TDI and my 600whp Z06 at these speeds as well if you are interested:D.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I'll see what I can get. I am still waiting for a revision of tune as S (sport) mode runs into the limiter so I won't be able to test it. I will try and get a D (drive) mode test. That is still pretty good compared to previously.

Also the ECM tune is still the 1st draft, so it may not be as good as it can be.

Right now I am using an 09 DSG in my 06 and it does engine brake in sport mode but because of some tuning issues in sport mode it has issues with selecting the right gear

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I got the 2nd revision of the DSG tune and loaded it up. Seems to run good but have some issues with it dropping into neutral under full throttle at higher RPMs

Did get some runs around 50 to 80 mph.

Dont have a YouTube account but you can see them at these links

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=17HlITmFEk_i3IoFhNX4e-qRonvvrejUI

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1Is_MSno3GTQzdsGCGDkrjewwaOPeaR6K

And one with the problem. What do you think may be the cause? Is there anything in particular I should log to see what it is?

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1h61RyLYmdE3xi4dw3FjUy7z0FHrQDj09

If anyone has the ability to embed these videos in here feel free.

I'll try again to get some better runs from lower speeds up to max safe and maybe from a stop

PS: this was all done with a full tank of fuel, two spare tires and a few hundred pounds of tools in the trunk so that may have slowed me down a few 10ths ;)

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Outstanding! When I get back from the weekend trip I'll try editing a video with all of our setups next to each other.

For future reference, you should be able to login to YouTube with your Google Drive account.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Got my 3rd DSG tune. I'll load it up tomorrow. If it works then I can get some 0 to 60 runs

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
How does it feel in higher RPM? I usually avoid getting on it below 2500 RPM and run it out to 4000 RPM, usually the same way I drive the truck.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Haven't loaded up the tune yet.

Currently it does seem to have more power above 2k but it is not bad at all below that. If I get on it below 2k then it will down shift and rev up higher so it is not to easy to drive it hard at low rpms.

The new revision is supposed to help with clutch engagement/disengagement and false neutrals

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Also, I am thinking of bumping up my torsion value a wee bit. Still have a slightly rough idle when cold. I left it at +3.4 the last time I adjusted it. Is it normal for a Colt stage 2 cam to require this much torsion value?

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Got the DSG tune loaded up. Also bumped the torsion value to +3.9.

Doing an oil change right now to dump the break in oil for the new cam.

Now to see how it runs :)

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Problem, you can easily destroy front cam bearing until it has fully seated.

Initially the soft copper underlay conforms to the cam journal from gradual loading and at the same time heat cycling gradually hardens the copper. This gradually provides a large support surface. The cam bearing breaks in by conforming to the journal diameter.
Gradual increase in pressure over time is required.

Polished cam journals would also minimize wiping out the less than .001 inch thick tin overlay during this process. The cam bearings will make contact until the surface conformation is large enough to support the loads of the injectors.

The other thing is colt cam as well as all properly ground PD cams have a slight lobe angle that is equal or greater than the almost flat follower surface. This increases follower rotation and break in will mate these surfaces. I have measured and colt has discussed this. Franko6 had to go back to his cam grinder to also find out his cam is also ground that way.

To avoid excessive wearing of the follower black surface after initial 20 minute breakin I would make long highway runs as soon as possible, rather than being tempted to much. This will help with gradually mating all cam surfaces for a longer life.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks for the info. I have about 500 miles on this cam now. Ran the break in oil for that duration and was dumping it for some fresh oil for a regular OCI

that tdi guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9l BRM
Hi fellas,
Haven't been on in awhile, and missed out on a good video session! I'll break out my gopro when I get a chance. I'll get a cluster shot for you guys. I'm currently running a custom tune, and a custom dsg tune. The dsg tune definitely wakes up the car! I'll upload the videos to my youtube, and post some links for you!