11th Annual Detroit Auto Show GTG - NAIAS 2018 - January 20 (aka WINTERFEST)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Booked. Hate doing that, as it always seems my bank account gets charged when it shouldn't. :mad:
Did you use a debit card or a credit card? Debit cards almost always get charged some amount while credit cards only get a temporary hold.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I had to use a debit card, I do not have a credit card. I would prefer to pay cash, but you cannot make a reservation any other way.

If they charge it, I will cancel the reservation and just wing it. It *says* they will not charge anything ahead of time. But I have heard that before.

It happened to me at DC fest. I used my debit card to hold the room, then paid cash for the bill when I left... had a receipt and everything, then they proceeded to run my debit card for the same amount... locked my account up (because I have it set for a low maximum daily limit) and I literally had to call my wife on my way home to get it straightened out because I was going to run out of fuel, and had no way to pay for it. I luckily had an emergency $20 bill in the glove box, which was just enough to get me back home. Barely.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I booked using my credit card and I just checked, they did not charge the card. Perhaps they'll do the same with your debit card.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just got the first room report and it looks like 7 rooms have been booked. 3 more are available in our block, but I suspect I'll need to add more. The sooner people book, the sooner I can add more rooms for additional people.

If you'd like to attend this event and you need a place to stay, please book your room as soon as possible by clicking the link in the first post. :cool:

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
I just got the first room report and it looks like 7 rooms have been booked. 3 more are available in our block, but I suspect I'll need to add more. The sooner people book, the sooner I can add more rooms for additional people.

If you'd like to attend this event and you need a place to stay, please book your room as soon as possible by clicking the link in the first post. :cool:
I will be staying that the hotel that everyone else is but I will be booking it a different way because I am able to get the room for a lot less through my AAA membership.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just updated the attendance list. We're up to 17 people now. :cool:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We have one room left on our block. If you haven’t reserved yet but would like to, please let me know so that I can increase our room count.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My son has been asking me about going to the auto show again this year, so I'll probably be meeting up with you guys again. I'll fill out the questionnaire here before too long on the other items going on.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My son has been asking me about going to the auto show again this year, so I'll probably be meeting up with you guys again. I'll fill out the questionnaire here before too long on the other items going on.
Cool. You know where to find us. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Went ahead and booked the hotel room.
Great! That means our block is full. If anyone else wants to book, let me know so that I can have the hotel add rooms to our block.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Looks like I can make this happen. Have talked to Lawson who will ask the hotel to add a few more rooms to the block. Before I make a reservation thought I'd ask here if anyone is interested in sharing a room for Fri/Sat so the cost can be split. If interested send me a PM here or post in this thread.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just had two more rooms added to our block. 251, you should be able to make your reservation. If you end up splitting a room with someone, that's fine, too.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I just had two more rooms added to our block. 251, you should be able to make your reservation. If you end up splitting a room with someone, that's fine, too.
Thanks for arranging to add more rooms. I'll make a reservation this evening. Can make an adjustment if someone wants to share a room. Also filled out the survey.

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
I'm in!

I can put a few people up for the night on the eastside of Detroit if needed.

This has historically been a non wrenching G2G but I've got a lift if someone has a small issue they'd like to address.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
One more hotel room left. Our room block expires next Tuesday, December 19th.

This month is flying by quickly. :eek:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Hi all!

I’m considering a schedule change for this year. Rather than doing go karting again, I thought it would be nice to take a group trip to The Henry Ford Museum. There is a Buddy’s Pizza just around the corner so we can plan to get lunch there, followed by a trip to the museum.

Thoughts? I know several people mentioned interested in the museum in previous years, but I think there are still quite a few people who haven’t been.

Perhaps go karting could be incorporated into Sunday since several people won’t be heading home until Monday.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I would prefer the karts. The Ford museum would be fine to.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Honestly I'd be happy doing either.

And I just ordered snows for the '15 GSW. Now it's certain not to snow!

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
The Henry Ford or karting, I'm in either way.

:)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Honestly I'd be happy doing either.

And I just ordered snows for the '15 GSW. Now it's certain not to snow!

My snow tires are poised waiting. If I put them on, it for sure will not snow [here]. So I am waiting until the last minute. Speaking of which, not even sure yet which car I am going to drive up there.

Decisions, decisions...

I have never been to the museum and would like to go. But I will gladly stuff my fat ass in a cart to be a rolling road block for the faster folks, too. :D

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
If I've been to the Henry Ford it was years ago when I was a little kid and don't recall the place. ;)

Know we only have the afternoon for this. Personally I'd be most interested in the Ford Rouge Factory Tour - last tour leaves at 3:00pm and they suggest allowing for 3 hours minimum - 2 hours for self-guided tour, 1 hour for bus ride to/from the Rouge from the Henry Ford Museum:

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/ford-rouge-factory-tour/

How do the rest of you feel about the Rouge tour over the museum or carting? But again I'll go along with whatever the majority decides.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's an interesting idea, Robert! Having never been to an automobile factory, I'd be up for that.

Thoughts from the group? Let's narrow it down to the River Rouge Factory Tour or The Henry Ford Museum.