ZeroStart coolant heater question

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I was concerned of check valve or engine flow .

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
You'll need to remove the check-ball. not all that hard- comes out with a little prying.
Ooo, thanks. Now I need to bug wife of a bday present this October before it gets nibblely.

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
You'll need to remove the check-ball. not all that hard- comes out with a little prying.
Even with the check valve removed these hearers won't work in the TDI, they're physically too tall and won't flow right. Only the square units will function in a TDI.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Even with the check valve removed these hearers won't work in the TDI, they're physically too tall and won't flow right. Only the square units will function in a TDI.
Well, hook us up with some part numbers.

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
You'd have to show me how they can't be used to heat the engine properly. If the unit is mounted properly then it will work. MANY people are using this type.

Regards

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
You'd have to show me how they can't be used to heat the engine properly. If the unit is mounted properly then it will work. MANY people are using this type.

Regards
What else would you expect the owner of 'Frostheater' to say? lol. The 8000 series units work just fine when the check valve is removed.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Oh, well, in that case, besides marketing reason, I can use the 8000 series?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'll have to respectfully disagree, I've had both types apart, and they are both immersion heaters with resistive elements. The housings are shaped differently, but the coolant will still flow through correctly once the check valve is removed. I have used the round style on multiple tdis in many orientations with no issues. As long as one hose is higher than the other, convection will circulate the coolant.

The only caveat to the above is that you need to Orient the can in such a way that all air is able to bleed out, so that the element does not burn out prematurely.

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta trendline 2.0 liter
circulation heater change?

just bought a replacement heater for my 2003 tdi jetta. part # installed four years ago was 330-8002. so i ordered another one by that part#. it looks completely different( plug in on side instead of top).also when i blew in the inlet and outlet, i can hear a check ball seating and unseating, but it is not easily removed as the installed one. it is internal.anyone else dealt with this trying to replace a heater lately?

dober

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Silver Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon
I bought one last year, don't know if it was the same part number. The check valve was removed by unscrewing the lower port. Once I took it off, the check valve fell out. It looked similar to my old one but doesn't work nearly as good.

bighair

TDI
MK4 BEW
I've read alot of these posts, and am curious, I haven't seen the reason why no one uses the factory hose and just cut to fit? am I missing something here? why do you have to purchase the Mustang hose?

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
You can. By mounting a series 8000, pg 89
https://phillipsandtemro.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2017-Zerostart-Temro-Web-Catalog.pdf

I mounted the coolant heater directly but as low as possible next to the oil heater/ cooler using a vertically mounted angle iron mounted to a bracket bolt next to the oil filter housing and one of the oil pan bolts with a side bracket to this slightly bent vertical angle iron bracket. The kit I bought came with a band bracket which attaches the cooler in front of this vertical angle bracket and sits slightly above the plastic under pan.

On my car the oil filter cooler has a hose pair bought together. This would be a hose from the upper block to the cooler then the other hose of this pair runs from the outlet of the cooler back to the lower port on the block as i remember it.

I bought a new pair. By cutting into the existing hoses and using the angles and straights as required it worked out I could adapt quite easily into the old hoses.

The reason i did it this way was allow room for a by pass filter where you would normally mount the the coolant heater otherwise. It has worked well for me.