1st Post

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
Been a lurker for a while but decided today was the day to join.

I owned the 2001 TDI Bug for 8 years with the last 2 years being used by my 18 yr old son. Next week he's taking it to college so it will no longer be under my watchful eye on a daily basis.:(

The car is in great shape other then a limited top speed of 80-85 mph trying to push it anything over that causes an overboost code.

Read all the limp mod trouble shooting tread, followed the trouble shooting tips and after finding the actuator rod does not move after hooking a mightyvac to the line to it.........figure the turbo vanes are stuck.

My guess is the vanes are stuck more open then shut because power really comes on between 2,200 rpm to 4,000 rpm through 4th gear but never hear the turbo anymore?

Looking forward to being a member and now that I have an open garage bay I'm looking for another TDI.............maybe a 2004-2005 Jetta.

Last edited:

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the link.......will plan on checking that in the future.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
So many thoughts to offer, but no time to write all now. So much good information on this forum! I recommend this:
=
For you, know the importance of making sure the timing belt and all associated components are replaced at the proper interval. If anything in the TB system fails, the engine effectively eats itself and repair expense is much larger than doing the timing belt.
=
When I read of son taking the car, other memories come including a recent other post. STRONGLY recommend make sure the son understands two important things: (other than keep the oil checked and report anything unusual...) [1] These cars have relatively low ground clearance. Even fairly small obstacles can cause damage under the car. Not just running off-road, but running over a hard obstacle debris on paved road. [2] Make him familiar with the instrument cluster and especially the (red) oil light. Explain that light does not indicate engine oil level- he needs to check that on his own. Explain that red light indicates oil pressure, and if it comes on, need to turn the engine off within seconds, NOT drive to the next corner or next freeway exit or whatever.
=
separately and getting back to OP- sorry the car won't be immediately nearby now, but don't tolerate the low power. Will probably take some effort but track it down. The cars (as you know!) are a joy to drive when run properly, but not fun when they're ailing.
=
Wish you and son all the very best !

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
So many thoughts to offer, but no time to write all now. So much good information on this forum! I recommend this:
=
For you, know the importance of making sure the timing belt and all associated components are replaced at the proper interval. If anything in the TB system fails, the engine effectively eats itself and repair expense is much larger than doing the timing belt.
=
When I read of son taking the car, other memories come including a recent other post. STRONGLY recommend make sure the son understands two important things: (other than keep the oil checked and report anything unusual...) [1] These cars have relatively low ground clearance. Even fairly small obstacles can cause damage under the car. Not just running off-road, but running over a hard obstacle debris on paved road. [2] Make him familiar with the instrument cluster and especially the (red) oil light. Explain that light does not indicate engine oil level- he needs to check that on his own. Explain that red light indicates oil pressure, and if it comes on, need to turn the engine off within seconds, NOT drive to the next corner or next freeway exit or whatever.
=
separately and getting back to OP- sorry the car won't be immediately nearby now, but don't tolerate the low power. Will probably take some effort but track it down. The cars (as you know!) are a joy to drive when run properly, but not fun when they're ailing.
=
Wish you and son all the very best !
Thanks Corsair,

The bug is up to date on it's services, had it's 100,000 service, timing belt and water pump (at 112,,000 miles), new front rotors and pads (rear will be coming up this spring), has never used or leak any oil or fluids and now it has a complete new front suspension. Hoping for another 100,000 miles.

My son and I know about undercarrage damage with these VW's and the importance of turning the engine off if the oil light goes on.The Bug sports an entire new front suspension and more do to a hard curb impact that put a hole in the oil pan:( Not one scratch on the body though.

Still planning on fixing the turbo but need a little time to lick my wounds from the curb damage. First thing to do is to get the actuator arm disconnected to see if it's stuck vanes or just a bad actuator but after the curb accident it's going to have to wait a while longer.

Good thing is even though he won't be living at home the college and dorm he's staying at are 10 min away from home. Figure I'll let a smaller VW shop that has work on the car before look into it. The VW dealer just wants to put a new turbo in for $1,800.

Last edited:

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Ahh, Understand. Sorry you're one of those who knows of the low clearance :(
And so the car will still be nearby- good ! Wish your son all the best in his academics!