www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

View Poll Results: B5.5 Oil Pump Chain
My 2004 B5.5 pump chain has not been an issue yet 77 22.13%
My 2004 B5.5 pump chain I think is making noise 24 6.90%
My 2004 B5.5 pump chain has failed! 5 1.44%
My 2005 B5.5 pump chain has not been an issue yet 164 47.13%
My 2005 B5.5 pump chain I think is making noise 54 15.52%
My 2005 B5.5 pump chain has failed! 27 7.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:34   #736
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

Like he said, you got extremely (EXTREMELY) lucky with VW doing ANYTHING to the car. I have found that it also comes down to how bad the dealership badmouths the customer to VWOA.

I personally was told by the service goons at the VW dealership at LIBERTY VW in LIBERTYVILLE IL, that's right, buy from there and expect the outright BEST (sarcasm on overdrive) service - that they told VWOA that the turbo was blown and the customer already pulled stuff off of the car to look at the car, the customer had numerous aftermarket items that aided in this failure.

Understand, they never mentioned to them what the items were, a coolant heater, boost gauge and the boost valve, which they didn't even see, they just went off of the gauge on the steering column.

They don't want to investigate. Additionally, mine was one of the first to have this happen. I was screwed before I opened my mouth and I was ONLY 5k after the PT warranty was up AND they had done repairs at 40k on the oil pump flange from a leak and noise. They also supposedly replaced that chain.

You can say you don't take "no" for an answer, and that's good, but figure out how much you're going to want to fight. If you cannot prove the mfg KNEW of the mfg defect AND it caused a 'safety' concern then you MIGHT get somewhere. IF you can get the dealership on your side, then you have a better chance.

It's WELL known that VW has the WORST customer service rating in the industry. People say they like them because they fixed all their stuff - under warranty. You have the law on your side in the case that they don't so I don't use that as a determining factor.

I have another B5.5 1.8t and I will NEVER let VW ever touch my vehicles again, ever. You'd be crazy unless it's something under warranty or a recalled item.

Ticked? nah, I'm not ticked, I was FUMING during the ordeal. Now, I just know to never buy a new one from them and never take it into them. They know this, they know there are enough of us out there doing maintenance for others and they have begun a campaign to make it impossible for shadetrees and those of us that are mechanics, to do work on their vehicles so they can keep the profits.

Hopefully we will persevere. Good luck with your endeavor but when frustration comes just smile.
jcaimhigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:13   #737
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariatsd
leicaman,
Thanks, but it seems that VW has a far reaching hand. Both of the below links are no longer found on the server. Do you(or anyone else) have original files that you could send me?

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/BHW...I-original.pdf

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/BHW...pGear_TPI1.pdf

These were bulletins gleaned off the VW server in Europe to deal with the problem to a very similar engine in European passats and audis. It was on the VW system for only a short period of time. VW has since taken this smoking gun down from their servers. The original document is the one with out the photos that were added to help the members sort through this mess.
Lariatsd,

These docs have been emailed to you. If any else of you want a copy of these, pm me. They are on my photo album on the forums.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:21   #738
GoremanX
Veteran Member

DUUUUUUUUUDE!!!! I just read through this ENTIRE THREAD over COUNTLESS HOURS just to learn that there's a sticky at the top of the forum with the answer to the problem. (I was led to this thread by a direct link)

What a waste of my life!
GoremanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 09:31   #739
LoveMyLittleDiesel

Fuel Economy: 40 winter 44 summer
Exclamation 05 Passat B5.5 178k just about to break changed with timing belt

I was doing a search as to when to change my timing belt for the second time and came across this forum. It convinced me that I needed to be proactive and change the sprocket and or the oil pump. Called VW dealer, they were aware of issue but would not help with the cost, estimate was $1281 for timing belt & $1558 for water pump $2839 but after talking to their mechanic I could see they did not understand the issue (said to change TB 90k-110k) and I had no confidence in them. I called a local mechanic that changed my first timing belt at 88k, explained it the that best that I could, he sounded skeptical and said he had never heard of such a thing so I emailed him this forum and it convinced him that it was worth doing. He was able to import a used part from Germany for $600 (took two weeks) He just called to say the job was finished and that he was amazed that he he was able to turn the crank shaft 3/4 of the way around before it would engage and that it was hanging by a shoestring. I am so glad that I didn't throw that extra grand away for nothing ($900 extra over the timing belt change with labor) $2000 for everything. I had no warnings or noises at all, just lucked out finding this forum. This car has been excellent and I want to keep it until it dies so hoping to get another 100k out of it. It is now at 179k with plenty of power & avg 40 mpg. The only problem I ever had with it was a serious loss of power once while driving to work. Luckily I was just passing a diesel auto repair shop (in the middle of rural nowhere) and I pulled in and left my car. They did not have the diagnostic equipment and once the car was turned off and restarted it never did it again. I am a 64 yr old female that can change a tire and do basics but most of this is way over my head but I am a good researcher and I use this forum quite a bit. Thank you all for your contribution to this forum it has helped me so many times and I think really seriously saved me a new engine on this issue.
LoveMyLittleDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 13:06   #740
1.9glstdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37MPG around town automatic poo poo

225,000 miles here got it at 215,000 chainless when I bought it. so it was an issue some time before 215,000.
I Have vcds KII-usb for 2005 and older
1.9glstdi is online now   Reply With Quote