www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Beetle 2012+

VW Beetle 2012+ Discussion area for the 2012+ Beetle TDI (sometimes call the New New Beetle) based on the PQ35 platform.

Old February 20th, 2020, 07:19   #1
BrunhildeBeetle

Arrow Aquired a 2013 Beetle TDI - little issues

Red, sunroof, drove it back to Texas from NC two weeks ago. Overall, a brilliant car! Here are the little issues:

1) CEL (loose gas cap) - Replaced the cap. Fixed.
2) CEL p2002, p0401 - Still under emissions warranty! Going into the dealer next Monday.
3) Low-speed brake squeal - Did (at the suggestions of this forum) some hard braking and that has cleared up.
4) Headlights shut off when pushing (continuous mode) high beams. No dash indicator. Pulling on lever (flash mode) works properly (i.e. high beam indicator and both filaments illuminate). Tried replacing bulbs, no change. Next is check fuses, but I don't want to pull all of the fuses to do this.

So, the question of the day: where is the fuse for the high-beam circuit? Which fuse box and what location? I have given up on getting a diagram for the whole shebang!
BrunhildeBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 19:27   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

#2 is more than likely a cracked DPF and should be covered under warranty. New dpf and EGR stuff. Read up here on those codes before taking it in so you have some knowledge of what it is and what is supposed to be done to fix it. You shouldn't be getting a cell for loose fuel cap on a diesel. Doesn't apply except for gas cars IIRC.
Old February 21st, 2020, 06:42   #3
BrunhildeBeetle

Thanks Lightflyer1!

The #1 problem was reported to me by the mechanic at the (Nissan) dealership after the CEL came on a few miles in on the trip back. It could be that it was the same codes, they just reset it and it took 500 miles for the problem with the dpf and egr valve to surface again.

I have read up on p2002 and p0401. I am under the 80k for the VW emissions warranty, so that's good.

Thanks again!
Old February 24th, 2020, 08:15   #4
BrunhildeBeetle

Update - According to the VW dealership here it is the DPF (replace), they will honor warranty. Yay! They do not have the part (why do they never have the part?). Boo!

If they get the part first thing tomorrow, I should be able to pick up Brunhilde "late afternoon." What is involved in replacing the DPF? Does not sound like an extensive procedure...
Old February 24th, 2020, 08:48   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The egr stuff should be replaced as well. When the dpf cracks and lets soot through, it usually clogs the egr valves and such too. They are after the dpf and should be clean and not sooted up. Discuss this with them. If you get it tomorrow you will be lucky as most have been reporting a month or more wait. Good luck and keep us informed please!
Old February 26th, 2020, 08:49   #6
BrunhildeBeetle

Just like you said, I was informed yesterday that the DPF is on "national backorder." I will certainly discuss the EGR stuff with them when the DPF comes in...
Old February 26th, 2020, 09:59   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You may want to do this now. It would be a shame to wait and additional 2 months after the dpf comes in for the egr stuff to come in too.
Old March 24th, 2020, 07:19   #8
Howie09tdi

My 2015 Beetle tdi dsg giving me a P2478 code 68k miles any info on this code?
Howie09tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 10:13   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Why not take it in to the dealer? Should be covered under warranty for emissions related items. Indicating an issue with the exh. sensor.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p2478
Old March 26th, 2020, 13:26   #10
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunhildeBeetle View Post
The #1 problem was reported to me by the mechanic at the (Nissan) dealership after the CEL came on a few miles in on the trip back. It could be that it was the same codes, they just reset it and it took 500 miles for the problem with the dpf and egr valve to surface again.
This is a complete lie. The "gas cap was loose" excuse only applies to gasoline powered vehicles that have an EVAP system. Gas vapors are toxic and volitile so they need to be kept from escaping the fuel system, so the vehicle monitors the tank for leaks - if the gas cap is off it throws a code. That system DOES NOT exist on your diesel, so you can drive around all day long without a the fuel cap and it won't cause a code.
Current Diesels: '17 Canyon 2.8L DMax, '15 Jetta, '15 Beetle Convertible, '11 R350 BT // Past: 15' Ram ED, '13 NMS, '10 JSW, '10 Jetta Sedan, '07 R320 CDI, '06 E320 CDI, '03 Wagon, '00 Golf 2-Dr, '00 NB (Yellow :-)
Stop Hunting for Torque Specs - Get A Free IDParts Torque Spec Poster Today!
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote